Los Veranos or Vallarta Adventures in PV for ziplining?

NWgal65

Hi ! Taking the Carnival Splendor in September with my two teen daughters. The Extreme Canopy Tour via Carnival is $139.95 person. Ouch! Vallarta Adventures (Outdoor Adventure tour) won't allow a cruise passenger to book directly with them ($98 person--better--same exact tour.) The tour operator for Los Veranos though will, and I think it costs $67 but I see it is 3.5 hours versus 5 or 6. Does anyone have any experience with both tours to offer a comparison? Or can advise on the difference?

Thanks...much appreciated!

We just got back today. Book with Los Veranos you won't regret it. We did it and it was tons of fun. You have just enough time to do the zipline, swim in the river, have a few drinks and eat some lunch. They will drop you off at the port but we asked the driver to drop us off near the shops. We had a few hours to shop and eat before we got a taxi to take us back. By the way that ran us about 5 bucks for the four of us. Here's a tip, tell the taxi driver you need a ride to Walmart. It's just a few minutes from the port.We heard that if you ask to go to the port you will get charged more. We purchased the video from Los Veranos ($40.00) a little pricey but I thought it was a good momento. It last about 30 minutes but the guy got some good footage of all of us doing the zip! Pretty cool. Another tip. If you book with Los Veranos, they will pick you up at Collage Disco. You will need to get a taxi there it will run you around $2.00 per person. GET THERE EARLY. We got there 10 minutes early to find out that the shuttle got there and left! I had my confirmation paper they tell you to print out but realized that I didnt have the number to call! Lucky us another family got there and missed the shuttle too but they had the phone number. We all were able to catch a taxi to the main office where they took us from there. So try and get there at least 20-30 minutes early and WRITE THE PHONE NUMBER DOWN. It's well worth the money. Everyone that was on our tour, said the same thing. They all booked online and didnt not go through the cruise ship. If you got any other questions, feel free to ask. I kept all my Carnival Capers and like I said we just got in today so everything is pretty fresh (still got my sea legs! So if I've miss spelled anything sorry :o).

The Outdoor Adventure is different than the Los Veranos Canopy Tour- the Outdoor Adventure also includes a boat trip on a Zodiac to Boca de Tomatlan and then you take Unimogs up to the canopy site as well there is a mule trek and rappelling and a gorgeous waterfall in rainy season. So, the trip is longer and includes quite a bit more than just zip lines. That I guess is the main difference. I am sure if you go on YouTube you can find a video that shows mroe. For those concerned with safety, Vallarta Adventures and Cabo Advenutures is the only company in Mexico that has built their canopy courses in strict adherence and standards set by the ACCT Foundation. ACCT is similar to what PADI is for diving.

Right now is an awesome time to do a canopy/adventure course as everything is SUPER lush and green- gorgeous!

Most tour companies or third party resellers set aside specific times for specific tours that are the best available times for cruise ship passengers, as well, often when booking through the ship, the tour provider has transport at the cruise ship dock, thus relieving the passengers of having to pay transport to the tour meeting location.

I’m not sure you can do a simple comparison as they are totally different. Estimated excursion time includes travel time from the excursion office and back.

Los Veranos is a zipline (x14) excursion. The Extreme Canopy (aka Outdoor Adventure) is a combination speed boat ride, 4X4 vehicle ride, mule ride, zipline (x6), waterfall rappel (x2), rope bridge (x2) excursion.

Los Veranos will allow (encourage) you to stay as long as you want at the excursion site (restaurant, tequila tasting bar, river swimming hole, small zoo). Vallarta Adventures gives you a bag lunch at the end, gift shop and tends to move you along.

Los Veranos is relatively clean. The Outdoor Adventure will leave you wet and dirty (bring towel & change of cloths).

Los Veranos will let you bring along your camera. Vallarta Adventures will not (store in a locker at the base camp).

Both excursions take place in the same general area (mountains on the southern side of Banderas Bay). Both excursions will have photos and/or DVD’s available for you to buy.

Both excursions will provide lockers at the excursion site to store your “stuff”.

If your family has never done a zipline before and/or you have never been to Vallarta before, I would recommend the ziplines at Los Veranos as you will have plenty of time left in your day to experience Puerto Vallarta.

Enjoy!

Thank you everyone for the advice!:)

In doing some more research, I think I figured out one thing that was confusing me. Many people have said they booked "Outdoor Adventure" online directly, even though they were on a cruise line. As I said, Vallarta Adventure won't allow it, so I was perplexed. Well, I just noticed that through Johann and Sandra (Puertovallartatours.net) you can book the exact same tour, with the exact same name, Outdoor Adventure (this is called Extreme Canopy on Carnival), OR you can book Los Veranos through them. I did NOT see this before when I was checking thier canopy adventures. They apparently don't have a contract with the cruise line and cater to many cruise line passengers. When you look at the videos of the excursion on both websites, it IS the same excursion: mules, ziplining, waterfalls, rapelling, rope bridge, etc. It's still a tough decision, as some have pointed out, the Los veranos one is shorter and that gives you more time for other things in PV.

Oh - glad you posted the info about missing the shuttle. I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem. Did they really leave early, or was there confusion with ships time v. port time? I'll definitely write down the phone number and get there early. Were you the 11:15 meeting time?

Was it horrible hot, or were you okay? We'll be cruising 8/23.

When we got to the office they told us that the time posted on the paper I printed was not correct. She never did tell me what the correct time was . The otehr family had their paper saying the pickup time was 11:15. If you get off the boat by 10:15 and get a taxi to the Disco you will be okay. You'll wait a little but it's better to be early than miss the shuttle. It was hot and humid but that only made jumping in the river even better. I would do it all over again. But the next time I would make sure to have a number on hand to call. It was a short taxi ride to the main office it seems like they have shuttles taking people to the zipline a few times a day. It was worth it. Just remember that ship time and Puerto Vallarta time are 1 hour differance. P.V. is ahead 1 hour and they don't take that into account with the ship. Remember there are other people taking those tours that are not on cruises.

When we got to the office they told us that the time posted on the paper I printed was not correct. She never did tell me what the correct time was . The other family had their paper saying the pickup time was 11:15. If you get off the boat by 10:15 and get a taxi to the Disco you will be okay. You'll wait a little but it's better to be early than miss the shuttle. It was hot and humid but that only made jumping in the river even better. I would do it all over again. But the next time I would make sure to have a number on hand to call. It was a short taxi ride to the main office it seems like they have shuttles taking people to the zipline a few times a day. It was worth it. Just remember that ship time and Puerto Vallarta time are 1 hour differance. P.V. is ahead 1 hour and they don't take that into account with the ship. Remember there are other people taking those tours that are not on cruises.

I know the "free" shuttle from Collage Disco to the Los Veranos office is really attractive but using it really cuts down on your options. Los Veranos runs this zipline excursion at one hour intervals starting at 8:45 AM. The 11:15 shuttle stop at Collage is gathering people for the 11:45 excursion group.

Since you're already paying a taxi to take you to Collage (to wait with the rest of the crowd), why not pay 3-4 bucks more, go direct to the Los Veranos tour office and catch the 10:45 AM excursion? (They will want you there by 10:30 Vallarta local time)

if i book the outdoor adventure through an outside party rather than rccl, how would i get to the meeting place? according to the agency that i a thinking of using, they said that i would find vallarta adventures right at the port. is that true? i called "best on puerto vallarta"

carol

if i book the outdoor adventure through an outside party rather than rccl, how would i get to the meeting place? according to the agency that i a thinking of using, they said that i would find vallarta adventures right at the port. is that true? i called "best on puerto vallarta"

carol

Reference this aerial view of the port - http://wikimapia.org/#lat=20.65305&lon=-105.242098&z=18&l=0&m=b The check-in desk(s), for excursions where the port is the pick-up point, is under the map center marker (black roof/canopy).

Since you are booking independently, you will most likely "exit" the port through the round building, walk east about a half block to a ticket kiosk located immediately south of the black canopy and pay the port entry fee just like all the rest of us resort/hotel tourists. I believe the entry fee is 20 pesos per person.

Now you will re-enter the port and turn immediately to your right where you will find the Vallarta Adventures booth and all the other tour booths that have excurions leaving from the port. Check-in at their booth, they will give you your excursion boarding pass and tell you when/where the speed boat will pick you up. [The excursion boat docks are the two small docks located astern the ship at the #1 dock.]

Enjoy!

• 1 year later...

Hello, I know you put your post up on the Los Veranos adventures awhile back, but I was wondering if you could answer a couple questions? First, on their website it mentions the collage pick-up point, do you suggest that one, or the one at the canopy office? Second, what time do you think is best, we are sailing off the Carnival Splendor. It's my first time! Thanks!

Hello, I know you put your post up on the Los Veranos adventures awhile back, but I was wondering if you could answer a couple questions? First, on their website it mentions the collage pick-up point, do you suggest that one, or the one at the canopy office? Second, what time do you think is best, we are sailing off the Carnival Splendor. It's my first time! Thanks!

Hi, all times are Vallarta local time. Ship's time should one hour behind Vallarta local time.

Splendor is scheduled to be in Vallarta from 9 AM to 9 PM. Los veranos has morning excursions leaving their tour office hourly starting at 8:45 AM. Paticipants that leave from their office should be there 15 minutes early.

To better serve hotel/resort customers in the Nuevo Vallarta & marina areas, they run two shuttles that just happen to make stops at Collage Disco. The 9:15 shuttle will have people at the tour office for the 9:45 excursion, the 11:15 shuttle has people to their office for the 11:45 excursion.

Personally, I think going directly to their office makes more sense than taking a taxi to pickup point. That free shuttle limits your choice of excursion times and there is the possibility that you might miss the shuttle.

For Splendor ... I would book the 10:45 excursion, get off the ship at 10 AM & taxi direct to the office. 10 AM local time will be 9 AM ship's time. For a party of two, the cost for a taxi will be the same for a white port taxi or a yellow city taxi. For a party of 3 or 4, leaving the port property to grab a yellow city taxi is more cost effective.

Having said all this, I understand that Los Veranos now offers a couple combo excursions. One is a zipline/ATV excursion and the other is a zipline/city tour excursion. I know nothing about the ATV combo. I have read posts here that indicate the city tour combo includes transportation directly from/to the port. Please contact Los Veranos directly for information about these combo tours. http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/

Enjoy!

You can check this link for a Canopytour incl. pickup at the cruise-terminal:

Los Veranos Canopy Tour We offer a special tour for cruise ship passengers. You get a REAL city tour plus our Orginal Canopy Tour with port pick-up and drop-off at the ship for only $98.50! Way less than cruise ship price! Email us for details. http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/contact/

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to bump this thread and get some more feedback. I'm trying to decide whether to go on the Los Veranos or the Vallarta Adventures zip line tour.

Which one has better zip lines and scenery?

Is the Los Veranos tour shorter in duration because they don't have the activities before the actual zip lines? I've never been to PV before, so the idea of having some extra time to explore afterwards is appealing to me, but if the overall experience with Vallarta Adventures' zip lines is better, then I'd be more inclined to do that.

We are on Princess, so apparently we have from 10am until 6pm in PV.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Just wanted to bump this thread and get some more feedback. I'm trying to decide whether to go on the Los Veranos or the Vallarta Adventures zip line tour.

Which one has better zip lines and scenery?

Is the Los Veranos tour shorter in duration because they don't have the activities before the actual zip lines? I've never been to PV before, so the idea of having some extra time to explore afterwards is appealing to me, but if the overall experience with Vallarta Adventures' zip lines is better, then I'd be more inclined to do that.

We are on Princess, so apparently we have from 10am until 6pm in PV.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I’ve done both. They are unique experiences and it’s hard to say one is better than the other.

Both have zip lines and both take place in a tropical rainforest setting. Both involve 45-60 minute drive times, each way, between the excursion site and the city. Both involve wearing a harness, helmet & gloves. Both have a fantastic staff and “stuff” to do at the excursion site. The difference between the two is style.

Vallarta Adventures is in the style of the original Canopy Tour that came out of Honduras & Costa Rica. Nearly all lines run from tree-top station to tree-top station. You spend almost all of your time 70-90 feet above the ground. There is a stretch involving a rope bridge, a “Tarzan” rope swing and you rappel down from the tree tops at the final station.

Los Veranos (and the other zipline excursions in Vallarta) offers longer lines that run from one side of a river valley to the other side. You are higher off the ground as you span the valley. Nearly all lines start and finish at a land based station. You walk from one station to the next.

Vallarta Adventures will likely be booked thru the ship. The excursion will start & finish at the port. Your excursion time will be fixed.

Los Veranos will be an independent booking. You can use their 11:15 shuttle service from the Collage Disco or travel direct to their office on Vallarta’s south side. They offer a wide variety of excursion time slots so you would have some flexibility in planning your day. They also offer a combo city tour/zipline excursion with pickup at the port.

If it was me … I would contact Los Veranos via email. I would tell them that I was thinking about booking the 11:45 time slot and wondered if I could take the earlier 10:45 excursion if I took a taxi direct to the office and arrived before it left. I would get off the ship immediately when it docks, grab a taxi and head to the excursion office.

If they say no, take then book the excursion company with a time schedule that suits you best.

Enjoy!

We were on the March 12 Sapphire Princess and did the zipling booked through the ship. Princess uses Vallarta Adventures. We had a fantastic time. We are a family of 4 including two DD's ages 14 and 10. DH and I started to get cold feet and were thinking of cancelling the excursion but the 10 year old really wanted to so we went ahead with it. We were very glad we did. It was really fun and I was very impressed with the staff at Vallarta Adventures. It seemed like a very professionally run operation and they were very reassuring about safety. The guides were enthusiastic, funny, very patient, spoke excellent English, etc. I haven't done Los Veranos so I can't compare, but I can give Vallarta Adventures a big thumbs up!

We just got back from Sapphire Princess, and did Los Veranos zipline in PV. They were awesome, so much fun! The area was great, and the guides were super fun!

But- HIGHLY suggest super strong bug spray. I used plain off unscented spray, didn't feel a thing the whole time but was bit multiple times from some insects. I recommend wearing pants, or get super strong spray if you are sensitive to bugs.

I know the "free" shuttle from Collage Disco to the Los Veranos office is really attractive but using it really cuts down on your options. Los Veranos runs this zipline excursion at one hour intervals starting at 8:45 AM. The 11:15 shuttle stop at Collage is gathering people for the 11:45 excursion group.

Since you're already paying a taxi to take you to Collage (to wait with the rest of the crowd), why not pay 3-4 bucks more, go direct to the Los Veranos tour office and catch the 10:45 AM excursion? (They will want you there by 10:30 Vallarta local time)

This looks like sound advice but if I arrive on the Splendor, which I understand is a tender where do I go to A. Catch a taxi and B. how far is it to the Veranos tour office?

This looks like sound advice but if I arrive on the Splendor, which I understand is a tender where do I go to A. Catch a taxi and B. how far is it to the Veranos tour office?

Cabo is the tender port, the Vallarta Port Authority schedule shows Splendor at dock #1 for your cruise.

Federal port taxis will be found immediately outside the dock area. They charge per person. If there is only two in your party, the cost to downtown or the Los Veranos office on the far south side is the same as the City taxis located just outside the port entrance/exit by the main road.

The yellow City taxis, located everywhere except on port/airport property, charge per cab ride with up to four passengers per ride.

The Los Veranos office is roughly 15-20 minutes away from the port area (ie: once the cab hits the main road headed south).

Please keep in mind that ship's time should be one hour BEHIND Vallarta local time. 9 AM on the ship becomes 10 AM on the land end of the gangway.

Enjoy!

Please keep in mind that ship's time should be one hour BEHIND Vallarta local time. 9 AM on the ship becomes 10 AM on the land end of the gangway.

Enjoy!

So that mean if the ship docks at 9:00am it's really 10:00am on land and there is no way I would make it in time for a 10:15am departure, right?

So that mean if the ship docks at 9:00am it's really 10:00am on land and there is no way I would make it in time for a 10:15am departure, right?

It all depends if your itinerary is ship time or port time. We were in PV on the NCL Star with an 8:00 arrival time and 5:00 depart time listed in the itinerary. Both of these were local PV time (Ship time plus one hour). Pre-cruise, I confirmed with NCL that port times were local. I also verified this by watching the ship's camera when they pulled into and out of port.

We booked Los Veranos with the 9:45 AM departure time from the downtown office. Had no problem getting there. Just need to be focused on getting of the ship by 9:00 PV time.

As others have said, get really good bug spray. We used Deeps Woods Off and still got bit. Also, to make the video a good value, pay attention to how often you see the videographers with your family/group. If you don't see them much, you will get to enjoy someone else's experience on your video.

Published arrival/departure times for Splendor have been listed as port local time in the past. I haven't seen anything reporting a change from that norm this season.

You should arrive in Vallarta at roughly 8 AM ship's time which will be 9 AM local time. Due to the length of your stay in Vallarta, you can comfortably book/make the 10:45 tour. If you are really ambitious, you might try for 9:45.

I point out the time difference because we just had a couple who knew about the difference but still walked off the boat an hour late for their private tour.

Enjoy!

Published arrival/departure times for Splendor have been listed as port local time in the past. I haven't seen anything reporting a change from that norm this season.

You should arrive in Vallarta at roughly 8 AM ship's time which will be 9 AM local time. Due to the length of your stay in Vallarta, you can comfortably book/make the 10:45 tour. If you are really ambitious, you might try for 9:45.

I point out the time difference because we just had a couple who knew about the difference but still walked off the boat an hour late for their private tour.

Enjoy!

That would be cool if we could make the 9:45am tour. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we could accomplish this? I don't how long it will take to get off the ship or what direction to head to not to mention where would we catch a taxi to get us to the main office asap? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Archived