Sourdough vs. Avis-Skagway

Kmom1

We won't go on gravel roads. I'm concerned about the older cars. How old? Safety is a concern with the little guy along.

Their vehicles have a LOT of miles on them. Avis would be my first choice - the extra 20 bucks or whatever it is seems like a good investment to me.

I know it's not the same but I rented from Rent a Wreck in Juneau. I wound up with an Olds with over 100,000 miles. There were cosmetic issues but the car was safe and drove fine.

That said I agree with Yukon, I'd pay the extra $20 for Avis unless you may want to drive to Dyea, Avis doesn't have a car available or Sourdough has hours that better suit your schedule. At least one poster says Sourdough opens earlier then Avis.

Actually Avis does not restrict its vehicles from being driven to Dyea. We rented from them at the end of June and I asked ahead of time when I rented the vehicle and then confirmed again when we picked it up. The response was that they do not issue any restrictions on where you drive, but just understand that you will be responsible for any damage incurred. We paid a bit extra for the collision coverage just to be on the safe side and drove carefully on the gravel road to Dyea and it was fine.

I was thinking it wouldn't be worth it to go with the cheaper option for safety reasons too. Many older cars don't have the airbags etc. the newer ones do. We'll stick with Avis. Thanks for the help!

Actually Avis does not restrict its vehicles from being driven to Dyea. We rented from them at the end of June and I asked ahead of time when I rented the vehicle and then confirmed again when we picked it up. The response was that they do not issue any restrictions on where you drive, but just understand that you will be responsible for any damage incurred. We paid a bit extra for the collision coverage just to be on the safe side and drove carefully on the gravel road to Dyea and it was fine.

Read the fine print. The restriction wouldn't be on driving to Dyea but rather driving on an unpaved (gravel) road. Collision coverage wouldn't provide coverage if the contract didn't allow you to drive on an unpaved road.

Every other poster said Avis doesn't allow you to drive their cars on unpaved roads. I don't know if there is a change in policy or if you were given bad information. The standard Avis rental agreement won't let you drive on unpaved roads. Did Avis give you an amendment to the rental contract or were you relying on the verbal assurance of an employee.

The collision insurance that you bought from Avis does NOT cover you on the gravel Dyea Road. When you were told that you'll be responsible for any damage incurred, that means totally responsible (unless you have your own insurance that covers that sort of thing). I had the manager explain the policy to me a few weeks ago.

Read the fine print. The restriction wouldn't be on driving to Dyea but rather driving on an unpaved (gravel) road. Collision coverage wouldn't provide coverage if the contract didn't allow you to drive on an unpaved road.

Every other poster said Avis doesn't allow you to drive their cars on unpaved roads. I don't know if there is a change in policy or if you were given bad information. The standard Avis rental agreement won't let you drive on unpaved roads. Did Avis give you an amendment to the rental contract or were you relying on the verbal assurance of an employee.

I specifically asked both at the time of reserving the vehicle and when picking it up if there was ANYTHING in the contract that prohibited us from driving on the unpaved portion of the road to Dyea. Both times I was speaking with the manager of the location in Skagway. She made it very clear that it wasn't strictly prohibited by the agreement, but that we would be responsible for damages to the vehicle. She was the one who recommended we take the collision coverage just in case as it would provide protection if there was ANY damage to the car, regardless of where or how it happened. I had no reason to doubt what she was telling me as she seemed very informed and professional and I did review my paperwork and found no wording that would contraindicate what she was telling me.

The collision insurance that you bought from Avis does NOT cover you on the gravel Dyea Road. When you were told that you'll be responsible for any damage incurred, that means totally responsible (unless you have your own insurance that covers that sort of thing). I had the manager explain the policy to me a few weeks ago.

The person I spoke with on the phone and at the office identified herself as the manager and she specifically told me that driving on the road was NOT restricted and that if we bought the collision coverage we would be covered.

The person I spoke with on the phone and at the office identified herself as the manager and she specifically told me that driving on the road was NOT restricted and that if we bought the collision coverage we would be covered.

We are renting from Avis also. As for the collison insurance I think my regular car insurance covers that part. At least according to my phone call with GEICO. Geico even sent me a special insurance card to cover me in Canada. (No charge)

We are renting from Avis also. As for the collison insurance I think my regular car insurance covers that part. At least according to my phone call with GEICO. Geico even sent me a special insurance card to cover me in Canada. (No charge)

We also have coverage through our own auto insurance for rental cars, but if I'm at all concerned about potential for damage I will sometimes buy the rental coverage just so I don't have to hassle with paying up front and getting reimbursed should something happen. Fortunately I have never needed to use it!

The Avis rental agreement prohibits driving on unpaved roads.

Prohibited Use of the Car

Certain uses of the car and other things you or a driver may do, or fail to do,

will violate this Agreement and, in addition to anything else may cause us to

cancel your enrollment in Avis Preferred Service. A VIOLATION OF THIS

PARAGRAPH 9, WHICH INCLUDES USE OF THE CAR BY AN UNAUTHORIZED

DRIVER, WILL AUTOMATICALLY TERMINATE YOUR RENTAL, VOID ALL

LIABILITY PROTECTION AND ANY OPTIONAL SERVICES THAT YOU HAVE

ACCEPTED, INCLUDING ADDITIONAL LIABILITY INSURANCE, PERSONAL

ACCIDENT INSURANCE, PERSONAL EFFECTS PROTECTION AND LOSS DAMAGE

WAIVER. IT ALSO MAKES YOU LIABLE TO US FOR ALL PENALTIES, FINES,

FORFEITURES, LIENS AND RECOVERY AND STORAGE COSTS, INCLUDING ALL

RELATED LEGAL EXPENSES, FEES AND COSTS.

It is a violation of this paragraph 9 if:

A. You use or permit the car to be used: ....... 4) to be operated in a

test, race or contest, or on unpaved roads;

Personal auto policies, credit card coverage and optional coverage purchased from the rental agency are void if you violate the terms of the rental agreement. Verbal assurances by an employee doesn't change the rental terms. The employee is happy to sell you collision coverage, even it won't cover you.

People who want to drive to Dyea should either rent from Sourdough or make sure the rental agreement has a rider/amendment that allows driving on an unpaved road.

edited to add Read the back of your rental agreement. Check for a prohibition against driving on unpaved roads. Get something in writing, from the manager, if you plan to drive the car other then as permitted by the rental agreement.

The Avis rental agreement prohibits driving on unpaved roads.

Prohibited Use of the Car

It is a violation of this paragraph 9 if:

A. You use or permit the car to be used: ....... 4) to be operated in a

test, race or contest, or on unpaved roads;

We weren't driving in a test, race or contest on an unpaved road. Edit: misread, I see where you are pointing at or on unpaved road. Well I never saw this clause and was comfortable with what the manager was telling me. Everyone will have to make their own decision based on risk vs. cost.

We weren't driving in a test, race or contest on an unpaved road. Edit: misread, I see where you are pointing at or on unpaved road. Well I never saw this clause and was comfortable with what the manager was telling me. Everyone will have to make their own decision based on risk vs. cost.

[/left]

You edited your post while I was responding. Unless the manager gave you something in writing you'll be personally responsible for any damage. That could include the cost of a new windshield or a new tire. I don't know what it costs to replace a windshield in Skagway or how many days loss of use you'll be responsible for. Even the small dings from gravel might reduce the resale value of the vehicle.

JMO but it makes more sense to save a few dollars and rent an already beat up car from Sourdough. edited to add I understand you thought you were allowed to drive on an unpaved road but (JMO) it makes no sense to knowingly violate the terms of the rental agreement. You'll have trouble collecting on any optional collision coverage, personal auto policy or credit card coverage if the damage occurred while you were driving on an unpaved road.

You edited your post while I was responding. Unless the manager gave you something in writing you'll be personally responsible for any damage. That could include the cost of a new windshield or a new tire. I don't know what it costs to replace a windshield in Skagway or how many days loss of use you'll be responsible for. Even the small dings from gravel might reduce the resale value of the vehicle.

JMO but it makes more sense to save a few dollars and rent an already beat up car from Sourdough.

We actually had a car reserved with Sourdough, but I was concerned about the reports of how old and potentially unreliable they could be. That is why I contacted Avis and was VERY specific in letting them know my plans and asking what their restrictions might be. My preference was to have a more reliable vehicle, even if it cost more (and it did by quite a bit, especially adding in the insurance). That's just me. As I said, everyone will have to make their own personal decision. I can only share what I was told and what my personal experience was in this scenario.

Well now this makes me slightly nervous (as Murphy and I are long time acquaintances). We booked a 8 person van through Sourdough, because Avis didn't have one. Our only other option would have been to rent two cars from Avis. :(

which wouldn't be nearly as fun as stuffing 8 people in a van like clowns :D

Ah well… I suppose if it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be.

if something "unplanned" happens, it'll be just another addition to our adventure in Alaska/Canada, I suppose. ;)

Ok is it really worth going to Dyea Ghost Town?

We are very interested in Gold Rush history and found the free ranger led tour there fascinating. We really wanted to see the beginning of the Chilkoot trail as well. Plus the scenery was absolutely magnificent. There are no buildings to speak of, just one standing facade and a few remnants where there are still piles of decaying wood and dug out cellars so if you are expecting a "Ghost Town" you will be disappointed. You have to imagine it as it was. We loved it (except for the mosquitoes) and found it totally worthwhile. But if you aren't really interested in the history of the area, you might not enjoy it as much.

Next time we are going to do the Hike and Float trip so we can hike a bit of the Chilkoot trail.

Well now this makes me slightly nervous (as Murphy and I are long time acquaintances). We booked a 8 person van through Sourdough, because Avis didn't have one. Our only other option would have been to rent two cars from Avis. :(

which wouldn't be nearly as fun as stuffing 8 people in a van like clowns :D

Ah well… I suppose if it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be.

if something "unplanned" happens, it'll be just another addition to our adventure in Alaska/Canada, I suppose. ;)

We did just that ... booked two cars on the Avis website. When we got to Skagway, Avis offered us a van, which worked out wonderfully well. So Avis DOES sometimes have vans but for some reason don't advertise them on the web. There is a phone number direct to Skagway Avis, maybe you can find it and talk to them.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/skagway.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We did just that ... booked two cars on the Avis website. When we got to Skagway, Avis offered us a van, which worked out wonderfully well. So Avis DOES sometimes have vans but for some reason don't advertise them on the web. There is a phone number direct to Skagway Avis, maybe you can find it and talk to them.

I did call them ... and they said they only had 7 person vans and would not rent to 8 people.

and my mom wants us all together so... we'll see!

Archived