New to crusing and going solo

Hi all, this is my first time posting on this site. :-)

I finally decided to book my first cruise and embark on Sept 27th on a 7 day journey to Mexico. I'll be traveling on the Mariner of the Seas.

Since this is my first cruise and I will be a solo cruiser, I was hoping for all the tips and guidance I can get on those who have done this before on their own. I would have loved to travel with family/friends but no one could swing it. I know there is a TON to do and I will meet many people but always looking to gain knowledge from those who have experience in cruising.

Thanks in advance!

Any cruise is what you make it. :-D. I love solo cruising and always meet fun folks. Check the meet and mingle board for your sailing - great chance to make friends before you even get to the port. I know folks will share lots of good ideas! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

Be sure to ask folks to take pictures of you with your camera!

Welcome to the boards. It looks like you just joined, so you may not have done the grand tour of the website.

You will find tremendous amounts of information here. Good, bad, right and wrong - but lots of people always willing to give advice - freely, and sometimes that is exactly what it's worth. :D

1. At the top of the post you will see a link - Go To: Royal Caribbean Roll Call Forums. Follow the link and sign up for your roll call. It should be under way with lots of eager cruisers anxious to meet new cruisers.

2. Visit the Ports of Call board and find the ports where you are going so you can get an idea of what people liked and disliked about some of the ports you will be visiting.

3. Look for the specialty cruisers board - I believe there is a page for solo and first time cruisers - lots of info on those pages.

Come back often - the natives love fresh meat. :eek:

IMHO, the smartest thing you could do is to request seating at the biggest table you can in the dining room. We really enjoy MTD because it gives us the opportunity to meet the greatest number of people.

If you are friendly and social, I bet you'll meet lots of people who will ask you to join them for a drink or to go to the show; you may even make some lifelong friends. :)

Hi all, this is my first time posting on this site. :-)

I finally decided to book my first cruise and embark on Sept 27th on a 7 day journey to Mexico. I'll be traveling on the Mariner of the Seas.

Since this is my first cruise and I will be a solo cruiser, I was hoping for all the tips and guidance I can get on those who have done this before on their own. I would have loved to travel with family/friends but no one could swing it. I know there is a TON to do and I will meet many people but always looking to gain knowledge from those who have experience in cruising.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to cruising!! You will love it. I did my first cruise last year and went solo. As Babster said, it is what you make it. I had a great time. I am a bit shy and not a drinker so I was worried that I would feel out of place but it was great!!

I am on the same cruise that you are on is that not ironic. Please sign up for the meet and mingle. We also have a thread going on so we can all get to know each other. Here is the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=905769

I am so ready for this cruise that I just too excited. On my first cruise, it was small so no official meet and mingle, we had a get together to meet everybody and it was kinda fun just to run into people you know and say hi! We have several things planned, we are going to all meet after Muster to watch the sail away and then after the official meet and mingle we are doing a Cabin Crawl which we all go and look at the different cabins, that everyone has. We have a couple of people who have suites so it is probably the only way I ever see one (unless I win the lottery:D) Come join us for the fun!!!

Before I went on my first cruise, I checked out both the Solo and First time Cruisers info and learned lots of stuff that helped.

Well I have rambled on enough, so have fun and see you in September!!! Is it time yet?

I've done the Mexican Riviera seven times as I live in So California. I did one time solo and had a great time. Take advice of others and join meet and mingle or roll calls.

Also, you might want to try a few private tour guides in a couple of ports as there are just a few people on the tours and easier to get to know folks. In Mazatlan, try Mazatlan Frank. You can google him. He has a great city tour and takes about 10-12 people so you really get the chance to chat with folks, etc.

Cabo is really easy to do on your own as it is a pretty small port and you can find lots to do right at the marina from shopping, beach day, boat tours, eating -drinking etc.

Have a great time in Mexico.

The roll call's are a great way to have friends as soon as you get onboard! And they are also helpful in planning things to do in port..

You will love the Mariner, she is a beautiful ship!

These points have been mentioned already, but I want to repeat them in order to emphasize how important I think they are to help guarantee you have a great cruise as a solo-traveler:

1. Log on to your sailing's roll call and start meeting some fellow cruisers. If they have any activities planned (pub crawl, cabin crawl, meet & mingle,) be sure to participate.

2. Arrange to be seated in the main dining room at a large table. Check your sea pass card as soon as you board the ship and scope out your dining room table assignment. If it is not a large table, go to the maitre 'd and request a table change.

I hope you have a wonderful cruising experience. I always thought that a cruise is an ideal vacation for a solo traveler. Please post after your cruise and let us know how it turned out. Bon voyage!

Karen

Try to get late seating or large table without kids... They try to seat you with others your age, but that has not always been the case. Going with late seating will give you better odds. Finding nice table mates always make it more fun. If you do not like them the first night, do not hesitate in asking the head water to move you for the next night. Dining with really fun people can make the cruise a wonderful experience.

Archived