wet suits for Galapagos

TRAVELFEVER

Could anyone tell me which type of wet suit is the best to take, full suit or shorty, we are going at the end of august, beginning of september. I dont understand the purpose of a shorty, if your arms and legs are out, do they not get as cold as your torso. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Thanks!!!

Could anyone tell me which type of wet suit is the best to take, full suit or shorty, we are going at the end of august, beginning of september. I dont understand the purpose of a shorty, if your arms and legs are out, do they not get as cold as your torso. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Thanks!!!

The Xpedition already has shorty wet suits on board, so if you were going to bring a shorty suit, it is probably better to just wear the one that the ship provides and save the weight in your baggage. They are faster/easier to put on and take off than full-length wet suits, and since you lose most of your body heat through your head and chest, they should provide adequate warmth for most people in the Galapagos waters. In my case, I burn very easily, and as such, never snorkel without a full-length wet suit to protect my lower arms and legs from the sun. Full-length suits will provide more warmth than a shorty depending on the thickness of the suit (3mm vs 8mm), but the thicker the suit the more it ways. I will be bringing a warm-water 3mm wet suit with me for our trip in march, which I have been told should be adequate. If the waters are cold, I can actually put the shorty suit on over the full length for some extra warmth.

My DH and I were on the Xpedition a year ago. It was an incredible trip. We found there ships shorty wetsuits to be more than adequate for warmth. We are both on the larger side, they had a good fit for all, all equipment was in good condition. The airline weight restrictions are enforced so we didn't even take our own snorkles and masks. For extra sunprotection I wear T's or sunveil shirts in the water.

We are avid snorkelers but this our first wet suit experience, was very postive, we appreciated the extra protection from rocks, etc. The snorkling was way beyond our expectations. After most hikes we were able to snorkle. My DH and I were always on the last dinghy back to the ship and they never rushed us.

It's a truley uniqe trip enjoy.

Archived