Progresso Beach

We are planning our first cruise (with Carnival) and I am starting to research it all. My husband and I just returned from an all-inclusive vacation in Cozumel so I feel very comfortable in that stop of the trip. I am trying now to get a good feel for Progresso. We will be traveling with our twins who will be 3 at the time, along with my in-laws who have issues walking long ways. The ruins are definitely out of the question, so I am guessing we will be looking at the beach. We are not heavy drinkers so I don't think the Reef Club would be something we want to do. So my biggest question is - how far of a walk will it be to get to the main beach? And then how easy is it to get back to the ship? My fear is that my kids (or the in-laws) are going to get cranky and ready to get back on the ship early. Wondering how much hassle it was going to be to enjoy the beach for a short period of time!

The beach is only 2 or 3 blocks from where the courtesy bus will drop you. There are plenty of restaurants accros the Malecon (seaside street) that will serve you food and drinks on the beach. I suggest Le Saint Bonnet personally. The whole deep fried snapper is great and soooo fresh. Don't expect the crystal clear water of the Caribbean. It's on the gulf. Keep reading and checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com for a feel of the area. It's a great area.

I think the busses run back and forth about every 15 minutes. To me, going back for lunch is a bit wasteful of time when you can have a very reasonable and good lunch ashore. Sampling local food is a priority for me wherevery I travel. Would be like visiting Prague and not having goulash or Germany and not having sourbratan and spaetzle. BTW. Food in the Yucatan is not the same as Texmex. Not spicy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived