Menu Details -- Ryndam (north and south)

trvlcrzy

Alaska Lunch (B) Day 6 (as noted at the bottom of the menu)

Appetizers

Sunshine Medley – Juicy orange crescents and sliced honeydew served with cottage cheese

Chicken Terrine – Chicken mousse flavored with herbs and wine

Broccoli Quiche – Broccoli, Parmesan and cheddar cheese baked in the pastry dough

Soups and Salad

Farmers Vegetable Puree – A puree of seasonal vegetables swirled with cream and topped with a sun-dried tomato crouton

Chilled Cucumber Soup with Dill and Sour Cream – A cool and refreshing blend spiked with a dash of red wine vinegar

Tomato and Romaine Salad – Fresh romaine, ripe tomato and diced cucumber, with julienne of carrot and hearts of palm

Choice of Dressing: Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar, House Italian, Thousand Island, Blue Cheese, Balsamic Vinaigrette or fat-free Blue Cheese

Entrees

Fettuccine all’Arrabbiata – Fettuccine tossed in tomato sauce with the pleasant bite of hot red pepper flakes and crispy pancetta – add seasoned grilled chicken breast on request

Crabmeat Chop-Chop Salad – Dungeness crabmeat tossed with romaine lettuce, blue cheese crumbles, crisp pancetta and Green Goddess dressing, served with a grilled Cajun-style chicken breast

Grilled Chicken on Flatbread – Fresh-baked flatbread, spread with tomato-basil sauce, topped with julienned chicken breast, kalamata olives and thinly sliced mozzarella

Cordon Bleu Burger – Ground beef patty under a layer of sliced ham and Swiss cheese, served with Dijon mustard and fresh-made French fries

Haddock fish a la Orly – Flavorful, white fish dipped in beer batter and deep fried, served with shoestring potato fries and remoulade sauce

Roasted Salmon with Champagne Caper Butter – Served with sautéed greens, boiled Parisian potato and sautéed cherry tomatoes

Breaded Pork Chop alla Milanese – Dusted with herbed bread crumbs and sautéed, served with tomato concassee, mixed fresh vegetables and saffron rice

Lunchtime Sweets

Pumpkin Pie – Served just like you love it, with plenty of sweetened whipped cream

Pineapple Cheesecake – Creamy rich cheesecake studded with pineapple and baked on a buttery crumb crust

Banana and Coconut Cream Trifle – Chocolate-coated almond macaroons layered with sliced banana and coconut creams custard, adorned with a crisp gaufrette

Raspberry Swiss Roll – no sugar added – A delicately thin sponge cake rolled up with whipped cream and fresh raspberries

Sliced Fruit Plate – An assorted selection of fresh fruit

Frozen Treats

Vanilla Ice Cream

Peach Ice Cream

Lemon Sherbet

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

Vanilla Ice Cream – no sugar added

Chocolate Ice Cream – no sugar added

Hot Chocolate Fudge Sundae – A mound of vanilla ice cream covered with warm chocolate sauce, whipped cream and toasted almonds

Beverages

-- as listed in early lunch menu post

Alaska Lunch (B) Day 7 (as noted at the bottom of the menu)

Appetizers

Melange of Tropical Fruit – With an intriguing cilantro balsamic maple reduction

Bay Shrimp Cocktail – Plump Bay shrimp with a cocktail sauce enriched with cream and Cognac

Grilled Lemon Chicken Skewers – Served with an Indonesian peanut sauce

Soups and Salad

Red Bell Pepper and Tomato Bisque – With a hint of cumin and chili powder, topped with avocado cream

Chilled Pear, Cucumber and Melon Gazpacho – A chunky flavorful soup made with pineapple juice and flavored with basil, mint and rice wine vinegar spiked with jalapeno peppers

Belgian Endive and Baby Spinach – With sweet mandarin segments, sliced avocado and blushing strawberries

Choice of Dressing: Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar, House Italian, Thousand Island, Blue Cheese, Balsamic Vinaigrette or fat-free Blue Cheese

Entrees

Rigatoni with Tuna – Al dente pasta tossed in puttanesca sauce, topped with flakes of fresh tuna

California Turkey Salad – Romaine Lettuce, grilled turkey, Monterey jack cheese, cheddar cheese, avocado, black olives, sun-dried tomato and a creamy chili dressing

Roast Beef Sandwich – Shaved roast beef layered on rye bread with a mustard spread, served with French fries, coleslaw and a dill pickle

Bacon and Cheese Burger – Grilled beef patty with crisp bacon and melted cheddar cheese on a toasted sourdough bun, served with sliced tomato, red onion and fresh-made French fries

Grilled Snapper with Ancho Chili Sauce – Tender grilled snapper topped with a cilantro and Ancho chili butter, served with ginger-scented rice pilaf with pineapple

Lemon Marinated Salmon with Chive Cream Sauce – Served with steamed basmati rice, grilled asparagus and roasted red bell pepper

Hungarian Beef Goulash – Spiced with paprika and caraway seeds, accompanied by sauteed spatzle and green beans

Lunchtime Sweets

Summer Fruit Tartlet – Light and flaky crust filled with slices of mango, papaya, pineapple and kiwi on a pillow of vanilla cream, garnished with ripe berries and sprinkled with toasted coconut

Raspberry Terrine – A molded raspberry mousse garnished with fresh raspberries and raspberry coulis

Chocolate Tres Leches Cake – White sponge cake soaked with a sweet and chocolaty “three milks” mixture and topped with whipped cream

Coffee Éclair – no sugar added – Crisp pastry filled with coffee-flavored pastry cream and glazed with chocolate sauce

Sliced Fruit Plate – An assorted selection of fresh fruit

Frozen Treats

Vanilla Ice Cream

Black Walnut Ice Cream

Mango Sherbet

Heath Bar Crunch Frozen Yogurt

Vanilla Ice Cream – no sugar added

Neapolitan Ice Cream – no sugar added

Raspberry Sundae – A generous mound of vanilla ice cream glistening with warm raspberries, topped with whipped cream and a delicate almond cookie

Beverages

-- as listed in early lunch menu post

…and finally, The Mariner’s Lunch menu

Captain Vincent Smit, Master

Cees Tesselaar, Hotel Manager

Menu

appetizer

Mariner’s seafood cocktail

or

Caesar salad with roasted chicken breast

entrée

Poached salmon with mustard sauce, sauteed spinach and fingerling potatoes

or

Slow roasted Striploin of Beef with green peppercorn sauce, mashed potatoes and assorted vegetables

or

Cheddar quiche, with caramelized onion, broccoli and served with mixed greens, balsamic dressing

dessert

Mango banana strudel with raspberry sauce

Friandises and petit fours

ms Ryndam

Alaska Cruise

*note – for those on northbound only, the Mariner’s Brunch was served at 11:00 am (doors open at 10:45 am) on Thursday, July 23 (with our afternoon appointment with Hubbard Glacier). For those on the southbound and on the collector’s voyage (the 14-day voyage), the Brunch was served at 11:00 am (doors open at 10:45 am) on Thursday, July 30 (a sea day).

*on a personal note – DH and I received our 25-day pins on this voyage.

OMG.

I can't believe you typed the whole thing!!!

Thanks

Wait until you read her entire review of the 14-day voyage! Trvlcrzy is a very observant and organized traveler. She is also one of the very nicest people I have ever met. Trvlcrzy, thanks so much for doing this. It's making me relive our cruise together. :)

I have the entire HAL wine list, given to me by the Ryndam's Sommelier. Should I post it here, Trvlcrzy?

I have the entire HAL wine list, given to me by the Ryndam's Sommelier. Should I post it here, Trvlcrzy?

I would hate for your wine lists to get lost in the food! Some people who are looking for wine information may not look in this thread.

I would suggest starting your own thread and providing a link to this one in yours... and adding a link to your wine list thread here.

I have submitted the formal review, and I am waiting for approval/release. I then plan to open a thread for the

"comprehensive reader's guide with annotated commentary." :D

I hope I don't develop carpal tunnel in the process...

Thank you for posting these!

I have been told that HAL is a premier line, but couldn't find any concrete specifics as to what was actually better about HAL. After reading these menus, the light is beginning to dawn!

I would hate for your wine lists to get lost in the food! Some people who are looking for wine information may not look in this thread.

I would suggest starting your own thread and providing a link to this one in yours... and adding a link to your wine list thread here.

I have submitted the formal review, and I am waiting for approval/release. I then plan to open a thread for the

"comprehensive reader's guide with annotated commentary." :D

I hope I don't develop carpal tunnel in the process...

Okie Dokie, for those interested, please click here for a link to my wine thread. I hope you don't get carpal tunnel either, trvlcrzy. Can't wait to read the review.:)

WOW! I'm really hungry now. With three weeks to wait, I've already decided what I'm going to eat! I should be shoring (pun intended) up our tour plans, finishing my packing list, etc., etc., and what am I doing? Reading menus!!! Thank you so very much for posting. It's really been fun. :):):)

Many happy sails. Colette

WOW! I'm really hungry now. With three weeks to wait, I've already decided what I'm going to eat! I should be shoring (pun intended) up our tour plans, finishing my packing list, etc., etc., and what am I doing? Reading menus!!! Thank you so very much for posting. It's really been fun. :):):)

Many happy sails. Colette

I'm glad I could help build your anticipation!

Thank You sooo much for all your posts. I won't be on a two week cruise, but I am sure in the 7 days some of these items will cross my plate. You have done a splendid job!:D

I'm sure many of these will cross your table... and eat a dessert for me. I highly recommend the souffles. They are so light, you might need to eat two!

Thank you for posting these!

I have been told that HAL is a premier line, but couldn't find any concrete specifics as to what was actually better about HAL. After reading these menus, the light is beginning to dawn!

We are very satisfied with what HAL offers, and I'm glad I could give you some specific detail of our experience. The towels in the staterooms, by the way, are Egyptian Cotton. I just happened the see the labels. I didn't inspect the sheets. I'm "travel crazy," not just plain "crazy," no matter what other people may say. :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! This is such wonderful information. I've been looking all over for menu info, and you've really outdone yourself to provide this for us.

One more question, since you've been so kind to answer my others:

Alaska South Day 7 (Thursday – At Sea sailing the Inside Passage to Vancouver)
I've been trying to find out if you can see the shore on the day that's listed "At Sea" on the itinerary, southbound Day 7. I mean, is it really Inside Passage? Or do they go out to open sea? Our TA told me it would be Inside Passage, but I'm a little concerned because that's not listed on the itinerary, and on other cruises, when an itinerary has listed "At Sea," you've been so far from shore you couldn't see it. I'm just wondering what it was like that day.

Thanks in advance for answering.

Happy sails to you,

Irene

One more question: I've been trying to find out if you can see the shore on the day that's listed "At Sea" on the itinerary, southbound Day 7. I mean, is it really Inside Passage? Or do they go out to open sea? Our TA told me it would be Inside Passage, but I'm a little concerned because that's not listed on the itinerary, and on other cruises, when an itinerary has listed "At Sea," you've been so far from shore you couldn't see it. I'm just wondering what it was like that day.

This was our first sailing from Vancouver, and that changes the experience. From Seattle, there is a time in the open ocean (Pacific), but from Vancouver, it is my understanding that ships stay in the Inside Passage as long as the tides cooperate. As you travel north, the difference between high and low tide becomes more pronounced, so timing is the deciding factor.

When we traveled north, we traveled farther inside than during our southbound journey, so the views were completely different. At one point, we were far enough from land that we only saw water during the southbound, and I was told that we were near the Queen Charlotte Islands of Canada. I didn't have the map, so I'm not sure where we were. The seas were too calm to be the open Pacific Ocean (based on my earlier experiences).

I looked at a map on map quest (British Columbia), and the passage is quite wide there near Queen Charlotte City.

If the weather is clear, the views of the coast on the morning of Hubbard Glacier (in the afternoon) are stunning. Mount St. Elias was beautiful. I have attached two pictures of the area as we approached Hubbard Glacier, but all who travel to Seward should pass this area.

1189049394_HALRyndamAlaskacruiseJuly20091145.jpg.9880f1c5144ba708c47f52d015413967.jpg

1923845479_HALRyndamAlaskacruiseJuly2009006.jpg.0fee1a951b14a6862026f459c0f20ab3.jpg

I'm sure many of these will cross your table... and eat a dessert for me. I highly recommend the souffles. They are so light, you might need to eat two!

I wish you were going on my cruise...... I seem to have stumbled on the ZZZZZZZZ roll call :confused: I am soooo excited HAL is my favorite line! You are a very observant & organized & it is much appreciated!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting, as I did not save or even photograph menus while we were on the Ryndam for 14 days (7/31-8/14). Food, overall, was excellent. I highly recommend trying game (venison, pheasant, quail, etc.) as this is a good opportunity to sample without breaking the bank.

During our cruise there were frequent ingredient substitutions, without a word from the waiter. Yellow tomatoes were gone, so the signature yellow tomato dish was made with rock hard red tomatoes. I would have ordered something else if I was given more information. Sometimes ingredients mentioned (razor clams come to mind) were completely absent from a dish while they were mentioned on the menu. The good, still, was quite good.

I can't believe anyone would spend all that time retyping two weeks worth of menus. Bravo.

I can't believe anyone would spend all that time retyping two weeks worth of menus. Bravo.

I do type really fast. My students are always amazed that I can type one thing while saying something entirely different to them.

Also, I did 'promise' in the Bon Voyage thread from GmaPajama that I would bring back facts.

WoooooHoooo!

Thank you, GmaPajama!

It seems not so long ago,

the countdown was very high.

Now with suitcases ready to go...

My plane will be climbing the sky.

I may have to hurry and race

But once aboard, I'll relax.

The Inside Passage our path will trace...

And for fellow CC'ers, I'll bring back some facts!

Thanks to all for the great information.

I did notice that a few of the accompanying vegetables would change. THis made it a little diffficult to identify the dish in the photographs... especially if it were a dish ordered by one of my tablemates. I guess my memories are associated with taste. DH and I share bites (I know some think that is too gauche!).

Archived