passport question

boowaaccaa

My passport expires one month after our cruise--my question is do I need to look up all the countries we are going to and check their passport policy? I know, for example, that to go to Cuba (I am from Canada) that my passport must not expire for 6 months after the trip--so I wasn't sure if some similar rules would apply.

The places are:

Puerto Rico

St. Maarten

Antigua

St. Kitts

St. Thomas

Dominica

Barbados

Should I just play it safe and renew the passport?

My passport expires one month after our cruise--my question is do I need to look up all the countries we are going to and check their passport policy? I know, for example, that to go to Cuba (I am from Canada) that my passport must not expire for 6 months after the trip--so I wasn't sure if some similar rules would apply.

The places are:

Puerto Rico

St. Maarten

Antigua

St. Kitts

St. Thomas

Dominica

Barbados

Should I just play it safe and renew the passport?

.....I don't think so.

wasiii

I consider a passport to be valid for 9.5 years, not ten. When my passport has less than one year remaining I look at my travel schedule and find a good time to renew. While I may have no problem on a cruise, I travel frequently out of country. A passport with less than six months left is a no-go for me. For a more casual traveler it may be less of a problem.

Portion of FAQ from Carnival site.

Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises. Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking “closed loop” cruises, we strongly recommend all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.

It does state "U.S. citizen" but I can see where it might apply to others.

Thanks--I guess I will go ahead and renew! In Canada they are only good for 5 years already and are $85 plus picture, time, postage, etc. so I was hoping to get a little bit longer (longer as in the full 5 years and not 4.5 years) out of it. Oh well better safe then sorry!

Thanks--I guess I will go ahead and renew! In Canada they are only good for 5 years already and are $85 plus picture, time, postage, etc. so I was hoping to get a little bit longer (longer as in the full 5 years and not 4.5 years) out of it. Oh well better safe then sorry!

Just so you know, you won't need your passport at any of the islands so the only rule that applies is the U.S. (which also covers St Thomas and San Juan). All you need at a port is your S&S card and photo ID. You may want to bring it along just to be safe though.

Archived