Celebrity -v-P&O

pawwavingpuppy

Hi there, I'm new to the forum, so if my questions are in the wrong place please forgive me:). We were thinking of booking (on Friday) a cruise out of Southampton to the Caribbean, as I've always wanted to do a transatlantic passage. We were thinking of the P&O Azura, AO18 flying home from Barbados. We didnt want to go in and out of a 'long haul' port, but can cope with a flight home:), as we've done quite a few long hauls over the past few years, and want a bit of a break from them.

We've cruised with Celebrity twice on the Century and the Summit, out of Miami and really enjoyed it, we both love dressing up, in evening wear of course;).......just wondered are the P&O ships known for their formal evenings????

Celebrity were REALLY strict about taking alcohol on board, a definate no no, still managed to smuggle on my Bombay Sapphire on in an Evian bottle, and OH's whiskey in a ginger ale bottle;). Just for the occasional tipple while getting dressed for the evening. Sorry waffling here, are P&O quite lenient about taking your own drinks on board, I dont mean barrels, just maybe a wine box and a bottle?

One other thing, trying to work out the logistics, we need to get to Southampton, but fly back into Gatwick. How do people work that one out? A taxi would be really expensive, a train would be a nightmare, and would prefer not to ask a family member.

When they refer to a black and white night, is this a formal evening where you have to wear a posh outfit in black and white, or can you wear any formal evening wear????

Looking forward to your replies

Many thanks

Hope I can help you a bit! :) Much is what I have read myself as I am doing a cruise on Azura next summer! :D

Yes P&O have formal nights which are adhered to by the majority. Those who don't tend to eat in the buffet reataurants that night. The dress code applies to most bars too. Black and white is a formal night which most people do. Most men will wear their formal attire and ladies perhaps a blck dress with white accessories.

Yes you can take wine on board, but only for use in your cabin.

This is from P&O's brochure..........

"For cruise A018/A we offer a complimentary coach service from the designated airports on embarkation day so that you can park at the airport and your car will be waiting you on your return."

Hope you book the cruise you want and have a lovely time! :D

Personally, I would choose P&O. I cannot compare the experience of cruising with Celebrity but flying back from Barbados will be so much easier than Miami, in my opinion.

Also, as P&O will have mainly British passengers, you will get the majority really dressing us, compared the translation of "dressing up" which I have experiences with some of our friends from across the pond.

Also, as P&O will have mainly British passengers, you will get the majority really dressing us, compared the translation of "dressing up" which I have experiences with some of our friends from across the pond.

A rather sweeping, not to mention erroneous, generalization.

A rather sweeping, not to mention erroneous, generalization.

Here here or is it hear hear:D I totally agree with your comment. I have sailed many times on Cunard both from the UK and US and regardless of Nationality, and on my last cruise I beleive there were 16 different nationalities, the vast majority dressed for dinner. I am cruising on P & O in January and hope that is their practice also.

Thank you all for your replies.....We really enjoyed our Celebrity cruises and found the majority of people did dress for formal evenings. We have flown home from Miami twice, and must admit, we didnt like the airport, for such a big place we found the facilities pretty sparse.

MrsTW thanks for that, I must of missed the bit about the coach link from Gatwick, that is brilliant.....Hopefully OH will book tomorrow (fingers crossed)

Archived