HDawson, come here please! ??'s about Progresso

MacysMimi

HDawson, I've been reading your replies and you strike me as very knowledgeable about Progresso. I have a question for you.... I am going to be in Progresso, off of one of the cruise ships for one day in November...I am traveling with my dad and my sis. Dad's in perfect health, as am I....sis, not so much....overweight with a host of medical conditions, BP, Diabetes, etc.... I'm really wanting to see the ruins at Uxmal, but am wondering if she would be able to do them. So.... my two options were, do the ruins at Uxmal and hope for the best, or take the bus to Merida the maybe do the ruins at D....

For a first time visitor to Progresso, which would be your pick? I don't know if I'll ever get back ( but I'm hoping to)

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated!

TIA

Sharon

Sharon. Just out of curosity, do you work for Macy's?

I am sometimes a solo traveler with the following ailments. Heart disease (bypass surgery twice), total hip replacement, BP (controlled), diabetese (controlled) and age of three score plus 10.

If you really want to see some ruins, consider hiring a taxi in Progreso to take you to the DZ ruins and wait while you tour. Then have the taxi take you to the central plaza in the historical area of Merida. I've read here that the cost will be about $40-50. Explore the central plaza Casa de Montejo (1549) now a bank, City Hall, nice ice cream parlor and the oldest cathedral of the Americas (1561). In the plazas there are plenty of benches and the cute conversation concrete chairs (each facing eachother for chatting). I think these chairs were originally for young couples, keeping them somewhat seperated physically. Also some sidewalk cafes for a quick snack, very good coffee, coke or beer. So no problem resting when and if a person gets tired. If time permits I suggest the carriage ride that takes you out on the upscale Paseo de Montejo, a broad european style blvd. $20-25 per load for fifty minutes.

Then you can get directions to the bus terminal for a trip back to Progreso for $3.00 pp or get a taxi for about $25.

Doing DZ first is best, cooler, but will preclude having lunch in Merida.

Have a great time and report back please.

John

John,

Thanks for the reply! No I don't work for Macy's.....My first grandchild's name is Macy and I'm her mimi, so MacysMimi it is...LOL

I'm going to print off your reply, and that's exactly what we're going to do....I'll report back and let you all know how it goes!

Thanks so much, you're a lifesaver!

Sharon

Sharon. Pick up a print copy of Yucatan Today in Progreso. Invaluable source for info and maps. As you explore, consider the possibility of a land vacation. Then you can see Uxmal and visit the countryside. I've used a B&B 10 miles from Uxmal. Very nice.

I'll do that.

Thanks for your generosity in answering my questions....It seems like I've posted a ton of questions to these boards and can't get anyone to answer me...I must be doing something wrong...LOL

Sharon

Remember, for your cruise or any foreign travel, Medicare and many group health insurance plans don't cover care and/or medivac outside the US. If you need trip insurance try http://www.insuremytrip.com. Excellent resource for many ins companies and various plans. Third party ins is much better than what is offered by the cruiseline.

John,

I got your pics today and I loved them!

I wanna go tomorrow!!! LOL

Merida looks like a wonderful place to visit and the pics of all the ruins were incredible. Thank you for taking your time to email them to me. I plan to show them to my dad and sis tonight and convince them this is what we need to do!

Thanks again!

Sharon:D

• 3 weeks later...

John, thanks for the wonderful travel info that you sent us on Merida. Saw a quote today, and instantly thought of you. "This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible value to him."

by William Lyon Phelps. I am guessing that you have been told that before. Again thanks. Merida owes you Big Time. :D

The pumpkin lady

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharon. Just out of curosity, do you work for Macy's?

I am sometimes a solo traveler with the following ailments. Heart disease (bypass surgery twice), total hip replacement, BP (controlled), diabetese (controlled) and age of three score plus 10.

If you really want to see some ruins, consider hiring a taxi in Progreso to take you to the DZ ruins and wait while you tour. Then have the taxi take you to the central plaza in the historical area of Merida. I've read here that the cost will be about $40-50. Explore the central plaza Casa de Montejo (1549) now a bank, City Hall, nice ice cream parlor and the oldest cathedral of the Americas (1561). In the plazas there are plenty of benches and the cute conversation concrete chairs (each facing eachother for chatting). I think these chairs were originally for young couples, keeping them somewhat seperated physically. Also some sidewalk cafes for a quick snack, very good coffee, coke or beer. So no problem resting when and if a person gets tired. If time permits I suggest the carriage ride that takes you out on the upscale Paseo de Montejo, a broad european style blvd. $20-25 per load for fifty minutes.

Then you can get directions to the bus terminal for a trip back to Progreso for $3.00 pp or get a taxi for about $25.

Doing DZ first is best, cooler, but will preclude having lunch in Merida.

Have a great time and report back please.

John

Archived