What kind of Jacket?

nannyd43

I will be going on my first Alaska Cruise Sept 7th. It is a 7 day cruise with a land tour to Mt Mckinley. I am not sure what kind of Jacket or Coat I should take. I have read several places where it is wise to layer, and I plan on doing so. But I hate being cold, I have been looking at some North Face waterproof Jackets. What is your opinion? Also would it be cheaper to buy one once I get to Alaska? Thanks, D:):confused:

At the least you need a jacket with a zip out lining so you can layer. You will be getting to Denali/McKinley late in the season especially if your 7 day cruise is first and Denali after.

In addition to layering, please consider taking along anti-dry skin cream or lotion so you don't dry out.

I get itchy dry in Alaska very quickly even when it is raining.

You will need hat, scarf and gloves and proper foot wear with socks. I don't mean hiking boots, but real walking shoes. There on tons of packing lists on this topic some of which include brand names for jackets. I wouldn't wait until you get to Alaska for your main attire. You will see great sales so you can add some things.

Have a ball!

You are right on the waterproof jacket or parka. You need something with a hood you can pull up if it gets drizzly. Also, the gore-tex (waterproof) jackets will help repel against the wind. It is cold and windy when standing on the deck when approaching the glaciers.

I also recommend gore-tex shoes even if it isn't rainy they keep your feet warmer than sneakers do.

I used a North Face shell and then wore layers under it. In the middle of June I think i only wore it 3 or 4 times in the 10 days we were on the trip.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/TNF2427/The-North-Face-Varius-Guide-Jacket-Mens.html?CMP_ID=PD_GOO001&CP=Google&CMP=KNC-Google&mv_pc=r101&gcid=S2000x137&keyword=&s_kwcid=guide%20jacket%20varius|2757582944

With all the talk of outer wear, I think we have this aced. I'd like to ask about 'inside ship wear' We have only ever been on very warm climate cruises, and are comfortable with what we know, wandering around the ship on sea days inside. We leave on the Serenade this Sat for the 7 day Van to Van return, my question is, being it's still summer, will I wish I'd brought long pants/light sweater to walk around inside during the day?

Will it still be a comfortable temperature inside the ship to be in shorts/summer wear? I do know when we've been through the Panama Canal on coming from South America I was very fine in the evenings in a sun-dress with wrap for dinner, but if it's cold and rainy in Alaska, will the evenings be chillier? Weather reports seem to be indicating this type of weather for the coming week.

All those who have taken their Alaskan cruises this past June/July have had the best weather ... Hope it holds of for another week.. or 4 till we've all been and gone :p

The ship will be about moderate inside most of the time, but I find the dining rooms always too chilly. On deck will be cooler most of the time in Alaska especially when the ship is moving and you will want to be on deck to see the scenery and animals.

Alaskans don't wear much 'summer wear' but many tourists do. How would you dress to feel OK in a restaurant or a movie at home?

The ship will be about moderate inside most of the time, but I find the dining rooms always too chilly. On deck will be cooler most of the time in Alaska especially when the ship is moving and you will want to be on deck to see the scenery and animals.

Alaskans don't wear much 'summer wear' but many tourists do. How would you dress to feel OK in a restaurant or a movie at home?

Thanks Pennyagain, I see rain in the forecast for this coming weekend, drat, was so hoping we'd get the same weather most have been having, but I do know, coming from Victoria, that too can change by the hour. We've had such a great run of sun this summer it seems it'll never end...

I waterproofed my running shoes with spray and they were fine

Buy your Jacket in Alaska they are cheap and made for their weather ../waterproof and warm

I found fleece jogging suits the best ...better then jeans I put a T shirt under the hoodie so I was in Layers

I found it cold near the glaciers -GLACIAL WIND _and sometimes on Water

Keep mitts or gloves in pockets

Bring a hat and scarf

Alaska abnd YUKON is AMAZINg ...do not miss Yukon from Skagway .It is very different .We did it by road and the views are amazing WAterfalls and deep gorges

If you like nature you will love Alaska

One passenger I spoke to forget to bring a coat. They paid $20 at a port for the same coat that cost $40 on the ship. Princess had a rack of coats available for sale, on deck, when we were in Glacier Bay. Very thoughtful.:)

Some posters claim the dinning room is too cold. We found the A/C was pretty strong. Passengers sitting "in line" with the air flow were much colder then other passengers at the table.

Archived