2 and 4 yr olds in Camp Carnival

2preschoolers

My 31/2 yr old is not too fearful of much - she started partime in preschool at 2 1/2 and didn't shed a single tear. (But that was sad for mommy of course!) So I do not anticipate any issues with her being in Camp Carnival (she'll have just turned 4). But my 2 yr old (will be 2 1/2 when we go on the Liberty in Jan) is a "momma's girl" and is quite fearful around strangers or new situations. She eventually warms up to people, but she has not ever been left with anyone aside a few times with one of my good friends who she knows quite well.

Just wondering how kids that age tend to do in CC if they are there with an older sibling? My 2 girls are very close and play together very well. I'm hoping (praying) that the younger one will do ok b/c she has her older sister with her. I don't intend to leave them there for long stretches of time, mind you. But would love to get an hour or so here and there or maybe for a few shows in the evening without kids along! (After all, it's Mom's vacation too, right?)

Anybody with experience with this or any ideas?

Our boys are older now but their first experience with CC was at 2 1/2 and 4 1/2. Mind you that our younger son is the extrovert so you might want to do additional prepping before the first actual CC stay. We took them both to the open house before the muster drill and let them explore together, we pointed out some of the toys and introduced them to the staff that was there. This gives them a chance to be familiar with the room. Another additional step for you might be to copy a picture of the camp carnival from your ship and print it out in color and post it at eye level with pictures of funship freddie. This will help build anticipation of the event and also let them see when they arrive there what it is that they have been looking at the entire time.

Definetely go to the orientation and try to sit next to parents with other children the same age...hint hint...intro duce yourself and talk to them about camp carnival, now they have themselves and maybe a play mate or two during their first stay.

My DD age almost 4 now is like your younger one, fearful of new situations, people etc. She is almost 4 now and she has yet to stay in any Camp carnival since she turned 2 (she went a few times for babysitting before 2). This will be her 7th cruise and we have tried each time to get her to go. She has gone to daycare since she was 4 months so I thought for sure when she turned 2 she would go and love it. We have tried each cruise and multiple times during each cruise and they always call us to come get her about 5-10 minutes after we drop her off. They will call you as soon as your little one starts to cry.

We have tried everything, talking it up, showing her pics before hand, touring the first day, going to the welcome aboard family party to introduce her to the counselors with us there. She just isnt comfortable being apart from us in a strange place. She doesnt have siblings old enough yet since her brother is only 8 months old so at least your child has someone else familiar there. I have found different ship's camps some to be better than others. Some will not even let you in for a few minutes to help get your child aquainted, you just hand them over at the door, some will let you stay a few minutes. They dont tolerate crying or scared/negative attitudes, they will only keep your child if he/she is happy and wants to be there and participate. It is more an activity service instead of babysitting/daycare. In my opinion, they dont seem to undertand a 2 year-old's developmental level and that fact that they are a bit more clingy than a 5 year-old who can separate easier. Also they get paid the same regardless of how many kids they have in the program so they are not very compassionate towards scared or upset toddlers(my opinion). I also get the feeling they are overworked and burnt out and most are just going through the motions (again my opinion but I have also talked to other moms here who feel the same). We have tried multiple Carnival ships camps with different staff so this an overall opinion and not just one ship or one set of bad counselors(we cruise with kids twice a year).

My motto is, just plan for the worst, bring enough toys to entertain your younger one in case she doesnt go or they call you to get her. If she stays great, if she doesnt you are prepared.

Good luck

Good points julienatul.

They do have a policy which does not let the parents stay inside of the camp for any length of time.

Visit before to establish comfort could help.

When we were on the splendor and while at the pool there was a family we were talking to who's son was the same way. Didnt want to go to camp carnival. So as we watched their son playing with our son we mentioned that we could meet them there at a certain time and sign them in at the same time. It worked. So as another technique it might be good to make a play friend in advanced of camp carnival.

The sad thing is that kids remember all too easily when they have a bad experience and even though the next camp carnival might be a better room or better staff that first experience still lingers.

For us with staff our best experience was on the splendor, Camp carnival is in the center of the ship with huge windows and was really well layed out.

Good points julienatul.

The sad thing is that kids remember all too easily when they have a bad experience and even though the next camp carnival might be a better room or better staff that first experience still lingers.

For us with staff our best experience was on the splendor, Camp carnival is in the center of the ship with huge windows and was really well layed out.

Does anyone know how it is on the Liberty? Is it a decent area for them? And can you use the toddler pool with the kids or they reserve that for use by Camp Carnival only?

How many opportunities do you get to explore Camp Carnival before camp actually starts and they don't allow parents in?

Take a look at these links:

Camp carnival on the liberty is located forwared on deck 12.

http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=LI&icid=CC_Carnival%20Liberty_230

Link to Liberty details on carnival.com

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/ships/carnival_liberty/default.aspx?shipCode=LI

We usually go to camp carnival right after getting on the ship so that we can take pictures with the kids there. after the first day though I dont know that they have an open house again other than the family activity times.

We were on liberty a few years ago.The camp wasn't open at all the first day so we couldn't tour it ahead of time like on other ships. We went and looked through the windows though. You can use the childrens pool anytime it is open the camp doesn't restrict usage and I never saw them using it. It's just located near the camp but not run by the camp.

• 3 weeks later...

We usually go to camp carnival right after getting on the ship so that we can take pictures with the kids there. after the first day though I dont know that they have an open house again other than the family activity times.

They don't let parents into the Camp area after the introductory day one unless they're doing a specific activity (for us it was on Halloween for costume judging after the scavenger hunt -- totally rigged ;)! I love CC, the instructors are pretty great and my kids had a good time. My 3 yr old didn't always want to go, but did a lot and the night time childcare for a nominal fee was WELL WORTH IT! I loved that they took my 8 year old to the shows with the group. I saw them come in and waved at him, but he was with his friends and had a great time. They can have dinner with CC (usually in the restaraunt area above the buffet on larger ships), but my kids almost always wanted to have dinner with us in the dining room (they're not all about the "kids food" all the time, they actually wanted to try calamari, lobster and es cargot! -- they loved it). Younger kids stay in the camp area, but older ones are allowed to go around the ship on scavenger hunts... these kids are 9, 10, 11 and 12, I think and may have the option of signing themselves out. When we go next year I will implement rules on that front (as I'm not comfortable with my kid having free range of the ship unsupervised). I will insist he a) have a buddy and b) have a walkie talkie and c) know where our room is and be able to get back to it.

Basically I think kids, younger in particularly, are opinionated and inconsistant! They may or may not want to go to CC at any given time. They're kids! Either way, don't let it ruin your trip. If they're with you, so be it. Just enjoy yourself. My kids loved the hot tubs and were well behaved when they stayed with me, so I never minded. We had a great wonderful fantastic time.

Archived