maitre d' $$$?

Coco83

what do you think is an appropriate amount to tip the maitre d' when requesting a table for two? My husband and I will be celebrating our 5th anniversary on our next cruise and would love the opportunity to have a more romantic experience without having to pay for the specialty restaurant on board :)

I believe you tip on the last night of the cruise, not at the time he assists you.

I have waited in line to speak to the Maitre D' to request a table change. I think he just looked down and made a note and said here's your table number. For that, I would not think a large tip is warranted, if anything at all. Maybe a few bucks, $5 max. He'll appreciate anything, I'm sure.

what do you think is an appropriate amount to tip the maitre d' when requesting a table for two? My husband and I will be celebrating our 5th anniversary on our next cruise and would love the opportunity to have a more romantic experience without having to pay for the specialty restaurant on board :)

The only time I've tipped a maitre d' was on one cruise where he impressed the hell out of me. Not because of what he did for ME but just him in general. He came by the table almost every night, checking that things were running smoothly. A few nights he asked if everyone was enjoying their meals, looking to see if folks were finishing their plates.

A couple of occasions, he cleared a plate that was empty, refilled a water glass while the waiter and assistant were not present. Not only for our table but those that he could take care of.

On the lido deck, near the pool/bar/smoking area he saw empty tables with food trays on them. He got on his radio and within a minute or two there were people cleaning the table. Satisfied they were doing a good job, he picked up a high-chair and took it back himself.

That's the kind of guy I'd love working for me. He got $50 from me although he didn't do that much for me personally.

Coming around 2nd to the last night with your hand out is not the way to go in my book.

I believe you tip on the last night of the cruise, not at the time he assists you.

I have waited in line to speak to the Maitre D' to request a table change. I think he just looked down and made a note and said here's your table number. For that, I would not think a large tip is warranted, if anything at all. Maybe a few bucks, $5 max. He'll appreciate anything, I'm sure.

Oh ok, I was under the impression that the "tip" was more actually a bribe! lol

The Maitre d' isn't supposed to take tips for table changes at the time of the change. The good ones will refuse it.

We have requested and gotten table changes twice and, you're right, the maitre'd wouldn't accept a tip at that time, so we gave him 'the envelope' on the last night, can't remember how much, maybe $10.

This was my first post of these boards and I am so amazed at your quick and helpful responses! I guess I had been completely misinformed :eek:. Only a few more days to go.. woooo hooo!

Does anyone know why the cruise director says that it is customary to tip the maitre d'? I read on here many times that it is a salaried position and you generally just tip if he performs a specific service (getting you a table for 2). I was pretty surprised at the debarkation talk (Victory - Lenny Halliday) when he said it was the accepted practice.

We tipped our waiter and room steward an extra $20 each (I really wish it'd been more now that I think back, they were great) but nothing to the maitre d'. Our tablemates did just because Lenny said they should, and it kind of made me mad that he'd encourage people to tip him but not to tip the other people extra if they went above and beyond. He made a way bigger deal about marking them well on the comment cards.

Does anyone know why the cruise director says that it is customary to tip the maitre d'? I read on here many times that it is a salaried position and you generally just tip if he performs a specific service (getting you a table for 2). I was pretty surprised at the debarkation talk (Victory - Lenny Halliday) when he said it was the accepted practice.

If your dining room experience was enjoyable & things ran smoothly, it's a direct result of the Maitre d's oversight & training of their employees. They make sure the servers are doing their job & that diners are happy. Reassigning your table is a very small part of what they do for you. The majority of what they do is all behind the scenes. If you don't have to talk to them or have them solve a problem, they're doing their job well. You tip the Maitre d' for a job well done.

We tipped our waiter and room steward an extra $20 each (I really wish it'd been more now that I think back, they were great) but nothing to the maitre d'. Our tablemates did just because Lenny said they should, and it kind of made me mad that he'd encourage people to tip him but not to tip the other people extra if they went above and beyond. He made a way bigger deal about marking them well on the comment cards.

The CD on the Fantasy explained that when they were coming up with the auto tips they could find nothing listed for maitre d's so the maitre d' was not included in the auto tips.

The best maitre d' we have had was last year on the Splendor. He came to our table every night. We had one complainer at the table and she complained that the lobster was over cooked, so the last night the maitre d' had lobster for our whole table. If we saw him around the ship he would call us by name. I think we gave him $20.

On our other cruises we had only seen the maitre d' on the last night waiting for his tips. We also tipped the maitre d' on the Fantasy, he came by our table every night too.

Unless they do anything out of the ordinary for our group or make something happen that was out of the norm.... they get zip-nadda-nuthin ! :)

If your dining room experience was enjoyable & things ran smoothly, it's a direct result of the Maitre d's oversight & training of their employees. They make sure the servers are doing their job & that diners are happy. Reassigning your table is a very small part of what they do for you. The majority of what they do is all behind the scenes. If you don't have to talk to them or have them solve a problem, they're doing their job well. You tip the Maitre d' for a job well done.

Just *my* personal opinion...

The Maitre 'D is a salaried position. It is his JOB to make sure things run smoothly. If he performs the job he is paid a salary to do, I see no reason to tip him. However, if he goes above and beyond what his salary covers, and makes my personal dining experience more enjoyable, they get a tip.

I agree with "Aggie". I would rather tip the wait staff a little extra. They work extremely hard, long hours for what they make (read "Cruise Confidential"). The MD probably makes a pretty good salary, so the waiters, assistants, etc. are the ones I always remember on the last day!

I never used to tip the Maitre 'D until my last cruise - this guy was so great that not only did I tip a little bit at the end, but I also raved about him my comments card and an email to Carnival's guest relations.

Sherman Oaks - do you remember the name of your Maitre 'D? Mine was Dario on the Triumph... My experience was the same as yours - this guy was everywhere, including the Lido deck ensuring things were running smoothly. He was funny too - If anyone remembers him, they'll remember his "Woohoo". He made me think of one of Groucho Marx.

Unless they do anything out of the ordinary for our group or make something happen that was out of the norm.... they get zip-nadda-nuthin ! :)

Same here. I have yet to be on a cruise where I felt like the MD took a special interest in my cruise experience or enhanced it above and beyond what his/her job requires. And if it is true that they are salaried, then it shouldn't be "expected" that you tip them. If they do something above their normal routine for you, then absolutely tip accordingly. I have yet to experience that.

I never used to tip the Maitre 'D until my last cruise - this guy was so great that not only did I tip a little bit at the end, but I also raved about him my comments card and an email to Carnival's guest relations.

Sherman Oaks - do you remember the name of your Maitre 'D? Mine was Dario on the Triumph... My experience was the same as yours - this guy was everywhere, including the Lido deck ensuring things were running smoothly. He was funny too - If anyone remembers him, they'll remember his "Woohoo". He made me think of one of Groucho Marx.

Cathalane - That's good to hear about Dario... I'm going on Triumph in Oct and I'm hoping we'll be able to get a table for 2!

Jenn

The only time we have tipped the maitre'd was when we requested a table for two on both the Glory and Triumph. On the Glory, not only did he get us a table for 2 but at the dining time we wanted. On the Triumph, our time was fine. Not only did he accommodate our request immediately, but sent someone prior to dinner the first evening with a new dining card for us just so we would know the specific table number. He spoke to us each evening (both times) and we were very impressed with the services received. Made a great cruise fabulous...well worth the $20 tip we gave each time.

If my dining times and table were fine, I wouldn't tip but that's just my opinion.

Just *my* personal opinion...

The Maitre 'D is a salaried position. It is his JOB to make sure things run smoothly. If he performs the job he is paid a salary to do, I see no reason to tip him. However, if he goes above and beyond what his salary covers, and makes my personal dining experience more enjoyable, they get a tip.

My thoughts exactly.

Let him know you are celebrating a special occasion. A good maitre d'hotel will not only accommodate your request but will arrange something extraordinary on your special night.

Depending on how special he makes the evening, $10-$20 would be in order at the end of the cruise.

Just one guy's opinion....

Mike

Cathalane - That's good to hear about Dario... I'm going on Triumph in Oct and I'm hoping we'll be able to get a table for 2!

Jenn

There are two dining rooms on the Triumph - and Dario is in the London (mid ship), but I'm sure either maitre 'd will help you... you will have an easier time getting the table you want if you like (or at least don't mind) late seating. Late seating seems to be less popular and so its easier to be accomodated at that time... Good luck!! ;)

p.s. - when you are on the triumph, remember to use the promenade deck (#5) to get from the front of the ship to the back of the ship - this is particularly helpful to know when looking for the Paris (all the way aft/back) or London (midship). :D

Well said.

We always tip the Maitre d. But when we feel things have been awesome we tip more. Once on Disney during my birthday he delivered my cake and wanted to sing to me. I asked him to please not sing so he whispered happy birthday to me. lol He always talked to us in the hallways.

Archived