How can I help my friends enjoy their first time?

Balconybaby

Hi All,

Our 10 couples will be on the Carnival Dream 4-24-10

4 of the couples are new to cruising and really unsure about being on the water,being on the big ship, getting seasick,etc. I want to start them off with hints and information to help them out.

I've printed out the Things to know before you go,but I was looking for the personal touch.

I started thinking about our first cruise and tried to think of things I wish I knew then that would have helped. The problem is I loved cruising from the first step into the atrium... Wow.

So... can you help me with my list?

I started with:

Relax.. You are on vacation.. Turn off the cell phone

Pack a change in your carryon.. Your luggage will be late.

Enjoy and explore the ship,get a map and find your way around

Read the capers each night and bring a highliter for things to do or see.

The muster drill is for your own good and it's short

Visit the Lido deck as soon as possible and try foods you don't know

Get to know your room steward and Look for him/her if you don't see them,Don't just complain about them

Ask for Ice in the ice bucket for each day,they will do it

Your luggage is coming!Go get a drink!

How does that sound so far? What can you add to help.

Thanks,

Hi All,

4 of the couples are new to cruising and really unsure about being on the water,being on the big ship, getting seasick,etc. I want to start them off with hints and information to help them out.

I've printed out the Things to know before you go,but I was looking for the personal touch.

I started thinking about our first cruise and tried to think of things I wish I knew then that would have helped. The problem is I loved cruising from the first step into the atrium... Wow.

I started with:

Get to know your room steward and Look for him/her if you don't see them,Don't just complain about them

Thanks,

if they are concerned with sea sickness start taking dramamine either the night before or two nights before.

If you want more ice bring a small collapsible cooler.

If you have an inside bring along battery operated candles, they are good night lights.

Bring an electric strip for other things to plug in.

air fresherner for the bathroom, pretty small in the cabin.

a collapsible laundry bag

order more than one entree to try different dishes

check your onboard account in the middle of the cruise, make sure all charges are your charges.

I think that more so than having them being prepared with the little things is that they know what to expect from a "day-to-day-on-the-cruise" standpoint. There is a point on a first cruise when the passengers either do or don't say, "ok, now what?". Some people aren't made out for cruises. They want to "do" or "go" rather than relax or "be entertained". You may want to get a copy of a reasonably comparable Capers so that they know what the scope of things will be that they have in store. If they read it and start pointing out the things that "sound fun", then you'll be fine. If they keep flipping over and looking for something that might interest them, then you know they won't be into it -- particularly if they're not "sit by the pool" people. But at least their expectations won't be so high. Generally, people's happiness has a lot more to do with how things go compared to their expectations. It's sometimes important to manage those expectations.

Hi All,

I started with:

Thanks,

I see that you are from Milwaukee, I live 50 miles north.

yup, my standard recommendation for newbies is to take the non-drowsy Dramamine starting the day before departing and taking it every day regardless of how you feel.

I've been on 7-8 cruises and I do it (I use to get sick one day each cruise).

To Bazarr2 " Hi Neighbor"

Thanks for the idea about the night light. 2 of the couples have inside cabins. They don't want to see the water. Funny!

Travelntreats: This is a great place and I've learned a lot and laughed a lot on this board, but 2 of this group don't have internet. We are such a bunch. ages 45 to 72 and all numbers in between.

T.Advisor king; Your right I want them to go out and explore and not look for my DH and me to do the entertaining. We are the common thread with all the couples. I am afraid we may not take care of everyone.

Thanks for all the info,I hope I am replying the correct way.

I will be back tomorrow.

Hi All,

I started with:

Thanks,

I think that more so than having them being prepared with the little things is that they know what to expect from a "day-to-day-on-the-cruise" standpoint. There is a point on a first cruise when the passengers either do or don't say, "ok, now what?". Some people aren't made out for cruises. They want to "do" or "go" rather than relax or "be entertained". You may want to get a copy of a reasonably comparable Capers so that they know what the scope of things will be that they have in store. If they read it and start pointing out the things that "sound fun", then you'll be fine. If they keep flipping over and looking for something that might interest them, then you know they won't be into it -- particularly if they're not "sit by the pool" people. But at least their expectations won't be so high. Generally, people's happiness has a lot more to do with how things go compared to their expectations. It's sometimes important to manage those expectations.

I don't know. You really have to know your group. On the first cruise I only looked at the capers when there was a lull in my perceived action and that was few in far between. On the second cruise, I looked at them nightly and said, "oh, let's do that." Big mistake for me. I don't need a schedule on vacation and when I tried to do everything I thought I wanted to do, I was a little disappointed in the cruise. My guess is that it is best to leave the capers alone unless you really need something to do every second of the day.

T.Advisor king; Your right I want them to go out and explore and not look for my DH and me to do the entertaining. We are the common thread with all the couples. I am afraid we may not take care of everyone.

Thanks for all the info,I hope I am replying the correct way.

I will be back tomorrow.

You apparently are replying in the correct way!

From experience...Do NOT try to be the cruise director for everyone...You'll end up not enjoying the cruise yourself as much as you could have (perhaps)!

But most importantly...

Leave your troubles at home (they'll be there when you get back), take with you a sense of adventure, know that not everything will go perfectly (it won't), but be willing to be a bit flexible, remembering you are ON VACATION, and let no one steal your joy of being out on the open sea with people you love. It truly is priceless, seeing the open sea for the first time, and seeing nothing but water in every direction. A very humbling, but exciting moment.

For me, it's not what you *do* on the cruise...it's where you *are* (or maybe, where you *aren't* that makes all the difference)

GP

Try to make it clear that you are not their cruise director and they are not connected at the hip with you. That way each couple/person can have a little more freedom.

I like the idea of giving them a sample Caper. That way they can see the possibilities.

Enjoy your cruise and relax....have fun!:)

We've so far taken two new couples with us.

Last time, I was really worried they didn't enjoy themselves, because they just sat around on the balcony all week. Turns out they had the time of their lives and when we invited them to go again, they jumped at the opportunity!

Archived