Sea Lion colony in Cabo

LilNik

Is this worth taking a trip out there? I have 3 kids, 14, 8 and 7 and wondering if you actually see the sea lions. How's Lover's Beach, by the way? Is it a good beach for little ones?

Is this worth taking a trip out there? I have 3 kids, 14, 8 and 7 and wondering if you actually see the sea lions. How's Lover's Beach, by the way? Is it a good beach for little ones?

Not really a good choice for kids. They can't really play in the water because of all the water taxi activity near the shoreline. The other side (Divorce Beach) is on the Pacific Ocean and extremely dangerous (absolutely no swimming on that side). In addition, there are NO public services on the beach save for a vendor selling water/soda/beer out of a plastic cooler.

It's nice to go out and see the arch, the sea lions, the beach and the other rock formations but stay in the boat. Take your kids over to Medano Beach afterwards. You can even go in the same water taxi after you've been to the arch. You will have to exit the boat in about 2 feet of water though.

I agree! The 2nd picture above only shows 1 water taxi at Lover's Beach but usually there are a lot, even more than the 1st picture. Unless you go out really early when there is not much traffic I would also suggest going to Medano beach to actually be in the water.

Also be aware that at certain times of year (like right now) there are only a few sea lions here. The majority of them travel further up the Sea of Cortez to mate and give birth. There are just a few straglers here now.

Also be aware that at certain times of year (like right now) there are only a few sea lions here. The majority of them travel further up the Sea of Cortez to mate and give birth. There are just a few straglers here now.

Thank you for that interesting tidbit.:) My DH has always loved sea lions and we will be there in September and again in April (although that may change to February). I take it the sea lions will be back in February? How about April?

Really the only times they leave the "rock" is around this time of year and just before a storm hits. The variety we have here are California Sea Lions. I am not 100% sure on why they don't stick around here to do their "game playing" but the timing seems to coincide with the shifts in currents which are occuring now. It is usually the males that take off during the winter and the females with all the adorable babies stay here.

Are they around in late September? Or are they still off frolicking? :o

Jajaja. I don't think any play the game that long! They are already starting to come back. I spotted the sea lion that swims around the marina yesterday for the first time in months.

Hi Caro,

I see you live in Cabo how nice.. My family will be there shortly for a week (not a cruise this time) and was wondering any things that are "must do's" while there. Restaurants too.. Also when how hot is it there I was on accuweather and it says high 101 but "real feel" 142 is it really that hot???

Thanks for any info you can share with me..

Archived