Just Back from Explorer

Returned from a wonderful 9 night on Explorer this past Saturday. Everything was wonderful - do not have any complaints - when we got to Bayonne my husband dropped me off with suitcases - they whisked the suitcases away, I walked in and my husband was there about 5 minutes later after he parked. The check-in was unbelievable -we arrived at 11:00 am and we were on the ship at 11:30 - could not go to staterooms until 1:30 but we went immediately to dining room to view our table and avoid that long long line to make changes. We asked for a small table and they gave us a table for 2. It was located right next to the waiter's galley so jumped into the line - 2 ahead of us -they made the change and we were good to go. We weren't sure if we really wanted a table for 2 but really enjoyed it - there was a table of 11 right next to us who amused us throughout the cruise and were alot of fun.

We were in 8592 balcony which was a perfect location. Close to everything. The room was great - the service was too - our room steward was Pat who was very efficient and a lovely person. Our waiters in the dining room (Magellan deck 3) were Maria and Vik and we just loved them!!

The weather was great - the ports ok although we have be to all of them many many times. It was a very relaxing cruise.

There were a few cutbacks - no Splenda in dining room or Windjammer unless you asked for it - no straws unless you asked - but these are tiny little nothing things and if they can save money on them, well then its great.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Returned from a wonderful 9 night on Explorer this past Saturday. Everything was wonderful - do not have any complaints - when we got to Bayonne my husband dropped me off with suitcases - they whisked the suitcases away, I walked in and my husband was there about 5 minutes later after he parked. The check-in was unbelievable -we arrived at 11:00 am and we were on the ship at 11:30 - could not go to staterooms until 1:30 but we went immediately to dining room to view our table and avoid that long long line to make changes. We asked for a small table and they gave us a table for 2. It was located right next to the waiter's galley so jumped into the line - 2 ahead of us -they made the change and we were good to go. We weren't sure if we really wanted a table for 2 but really enjoyed it - there was a table of 11 right next to us who amused us throughout the cruise and were alot of fun.

We were in 8592 balcony which was a perfect location. Close to everything. The room was great - the service was too - our room steward was Pat who was very efficient and a lovely person. Our waiters in the dining room (Magellan deck 3) were Maria and Vik and we just loved them!!

The weather was great - the ports ok although we have be to all of them many many times. It was a very relaxing cruise.

There were a few cutbacks - no Splenda in dining room or Windjammer unless you asked for it - no straws unless you asked - but these are tiny little nothing things and if they can save money on them, well then its great.

My DH surprised me for my BIG birthday on 8-22 with a 9 night cruise on the Explorer. We leave 8-20 and will be in Bermuda for my B'day. I have a couple of questions if you can help.

What was the original table number you had for 2, and what one did you change it to?

We have (supposedly) a table for 2, but we're afraid we might be by the waiters galley also.

Do you have any of the Compasses? Are you able to scan & post them?

Did you eat in Potofino? if so, which night?

We were trying to find out the menus because we do not like the "Get Out There Menu"

and were going to book "P" that night, was it night 4 or 5?

Thanks so much. We are really looking forward to the cruise for a rest. We have been to the ports many times too. We've have some pretty bad family problems and this cruise is meant for us to relax & celebrate my b'day.

I went on the 9 night cruise in May and had the best time. In Bayonne we drove our car to where the luggage is dropped off - the porters took ithe luggage and then we drove back to the parking lot. It is literally a minute away. Then we took the shuttle back to get on the ship with our carryons. We could have walked. It was so easy. We also walked right on through - we got there about 11:00 and was on the ship about 11:45. We ate at Portofino I believe night 6 - in between the formal nights. Portofino is not to be missed - it was so so good.

My DH surprised me for my BIG birthday on 8-22 with a 9 night cruise on the Explorer. We leave 8-20 and will be in Bermuda for my B'day. I have a couple of questions if you can help.

We're on the same sailing. I can't believe we are now under two weeks! 12.gif

Our group is 11 now & I'm glad to hear that there is a table that fits that size group. Do you happen to know the table number so we could check into it. We didn't all book thru the same TA, so we are probably not linked to sit together. Thanks. Glad you had a great cruise, we are looking forward to ours in a few months.

Our group is 11 now & I'm glad to hear that there is a table that fits that size group. Do you happen to know the table number so we could check into it. We didn't all book thru the same TA, so we are probably not linked to sit together. Thanks. Glad you had a great cruise, we are looking forward to ours in a few months.

What you need to do is to link all your reservations together and request to eat together. RCCL will do the rest. Just call your TA and havee all the res linked.

You can have all your reservations linked together to eat dinner together. Portofino is excellent restaurant. Our head waiter actually changed our Portofino reservations because he said the food in MDR was good that night and he got right on the phone and called over and changed to the time we couldn't get on our own. Worked out great. If you are going after January then she will be out of drydock and interested to know if they are adding a specialty restaurant or what changes they are making.

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner. I will try and answer as much as possible - first - you do not take your luggage on the shuttle bus - they do that for you - you leave the ship - get on a shuttle bus for 2 minutes - they then let you off where you find your luggage - we grabbed a porter and it was well worth it - he took our 3 pieces of luggage and our carryons - stood in line with us and got us right thru customs - and then walked over to our car with us (there was a line a mile long for people who waited at curb for someone to go get their car and pick up the rest of their party). He just walked us over which is about 2 minutes away and packed up our trunk and gave us the direction to get right onto highway in one minute. We tipped him $20 and it was WELL worth it.

The first table for two was 321 in Magellen dining room - 3rd floor. That is where the galley was right next to us. They then changed us to Table 2 which was great - the party of 11 was right next to us but do not know their table number.

It is really beneficial to go directly to dining room as soon as you board before you even go up to Windjammer to eat as there is no crowd at that time - we boarded around 11:45 and did this 1st thing and as I said earlier - we only had to wait a few minutes to make change - other times we had to wait in line for at least an hour.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

We also had Maria on the Explorer of the Seas and she was GREAT!!! Our assist waiter was Ice and he was also great. After being on the Inddependence of the Seas the new ship I was still very impress with the Explorer and would love to go again on it.

Do you bye chance have the dinner menus for the main dining room?

Thanks

My DH surprised me for my BIG birthday on 8-22 with a 9 night cruise on the Explorer. We leave 8-20 and will be in Bermuda for my B'day.

Cruzingduo, it is also my birthday on 8-22 (although I passed my BIG birthday - I wonder what BIG is for you???) and I will be on Explorer on 8-20 also.

Happy upcoming Birthday to Vacation Nut and Cruzing Duo!!

I'm also on the 8/20 sailing! How come you guys aren't on the rolll call board?

Did you register for the meet & mingle??

Anyway....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Hi, I have been on the roll call occassionally. We have some family problems and have been away (in New Hampshire cleaning out my MIL's home). I regret not having the time. Where we are in New Hampshire there is no internet available

My DH surprised me for my BIG birthday on 8-22 with a 9 night cruise on the Explorer. We leave 8-20 and will be in Bermuda for my B'day.

Cruzingduo, it is also my birthday on 8-22 (although I passed my BIG birthday - I wonder what BIG is for you???) and I will be on Explorer on 8-20 also.

Well it's not 40 or 50, so you guess it! We have booked Portofino for that night. See you soon.

Archived