Daily Mass

Kschn3671

And regardless, there is a big difference between the presence of a religious official amongst those dodging bullets and bombs and those deciding between bingo or the buffet.

Yes, one is having a pleasant time, and one isn't.

Do you think that only men on battle fields need the Lord?

Yes, one is having a pleasant time, and one isn't.

Do you think that only men on battle fields need the Lord?

I don't think anyone needs the Lord but that's neither here nor there. But for those who believe in the Lord and also believe that their sins must be forgiven before they die, the need is certainly greater on a battlefield then at the buffet as the chance of death is much more likely in the former.

I do find it interesting that you seem to conitnually avoid responding to equal representation comments. I, and others, have said numerous times that we aren't against religious representation, we are against constant, specific, singular religious represenation. While I am sure Catholic priests are at least knowledgable about other religions, I doubt they are as much of an expert about Buddhism as they are on Catholicism. Why is it that only Catholics get an ordained expert?

I do find it interesting that you seem to conitnually avoid responding to equal representation comments. I, and others, have said numerous times that we aren't against religious representation, we are against constant, specific, singular religious represenation. While I am sure Catholic priests are at least knowledgable about other religions, I doubt they are as much of an expert about Buddhism as they are on Catholicism. Why is it that only Catholics get an ordained expert?

Sorry, I did say in the "Priest Issue" thread that we had been on a cruise where the Priest had to cancel at the last minute, and member of the staff lead an interdenominational service, which we attended. While it wasn't Mass, it was very prayerful.

Honestly, I don't see how it would cost Celebrity an extra dime to have a Protestant minister & a Priest sharing the same cabin. That would undoubtedly make a lot more people happy than taking away all religious services for most of the year!

Honestly, I don't see how it would cost Celebrity an extra dime to have a Protestant minister & a Priest sharing the same cabin. That would undoubtedly make a lot more people happy than taking away all religious services for most of the year![/color]

That's might gracious of you...unfortunately you've left out an entire segment of the population that is neither Protestant nor Catholic. How about we just petition Celebrity to set aside all the cabins on Deck 3 throughout the fleet to house clergy of every faith? Short of that, X would have choose one faith over another (as it had been doing until the recent change of policy) and as the cruise line understands, that policy no longer flies...I mean, floats.

That's might gracious of you...unfortunately you've left out an entire segment of the population that is neither Protestant nor Catholic. How about we just petition Celebrity to set aside all the cabins on Deck 3 throughout the fleet to house clergy of every faith? Short of that, X would have choose one faith over another (as it had been doing until the recent change of policy) and as the cruise line understands, that policy no longer flies...I mean, floats.

I like that idea! It's sort of a "one-stop shop" for Spiritual Guidance.

Okay, a priest a minister and a rabbi and a monk!

They could share a quad cabin!:D

Perhaps those passengers who have a need for their religious leader while on a cruise, whether it be rabbi, minister, priest, lama, shaman, imam or other, can take up a collection and pay the cabin, air fare, tips and other expenses incurred by said religious leader. That should satisfy everyone.

And regardless, there is a big difference between the presence of a religious official amongst those dodging bullets and bombs and those deciding between bingo or the buffet.

Really... We're all going to be dead the same amount of time.

Really... We're all going to be dead the same amount of time.

Well "Christians" supposedly are. But many of the members of religions who believe in reincarnation would disagree. But we don't care about "fringe" religions here, do we? At least some of us don't. :mad:

...the need is certainly greater on a battlefield then at the buffet as the chance of death is much more likely in the former.

Actually the chances are absolutely equal, none of us is getting out of here alive.

Power of god? Squeeky wheel?

Vicarious - have you asserted a particular need in this department and had it denied? I didn't think so... Your just cheering a decline in services to others for reasons that are not rooted in a personal experience but only an argumentative ego hypothetical of the mind... 'equal protection' (sounds almost 'holy'; it ain't) I suggest you get off your high horse and onto your knees...

Actually the chances are absolutely equal, none of us is getting out of here alive.

Power of god? Squeeky wheel?

Vicarious - have you asserted a particular need in this department and had it denied? I didn't think so...

If Celebrity will give a free room to a priest from http://firstchurchofatheism.com/ I will be more then happy to subsidize equal representation for any other religion. It is a small minority here that seems to believe that their particular dogma is more important then others and deserving of free room and board on every Celebrity cruise.

Your just cheering a decline in services to others for reasons that are not rooted in a personal experience but only an argumentative ego hypothetical of the mind... 'equal protection' (sounds almost 'holy'; it ain't)

Thank you for further propogating the discriminatory thoughts and actions of organized religion by stating that 'equal protection' is not 'holy'. Equal protection only applies if you are a member of a certain group it seems.

I suggest you get off your high horse and onto your knees...

You're asking me to get onto my knees and I am the one on a high horse?:eek:

If Celebrity will give a free room to a priest from http://firstchurchofatheism.com/ I will be more then happy to subsidize equal representation for any other religion. It is a small minority here that seems to believe that their particular dogma is more important then others and deserving of free room and board on every Celebrity cruise. :eek:

Thanks for clarifying your level of respect for the subject of spiritual need.

Thanks for clarifying your level of respect for the subject of spiritual need.

Never did I say I was a member of any group, even one I linked to. But even if I was a member of that group, why is it you seem to believe Catholicism is more important? That is the whole point of this thread, Catholics seemingly believeing that Catholicism is more important then any other belief.

Never did I say I was a member of any group, even one I linked to. But even if I was a member of that group, why is it you seem to believe Catholicism is more important? That is the whole point of this thread, Catholics seemingly believeing that Catholicism is more important then any other belief.

I'm not trying to insist that Catholics are more important than others.

I do take my faith seriously, though.

Evidently, much more seriously than Celebrity does.

LV - you only believe in yourself seemingly. All religious believe their faith is more important than any other... it is. That is faith. In the same way that you unshakeably believe in your own position. Should the line accomodate you? Of course. Have you made any particular demands on the line for special service along that line; no.

But a line that accommodated the largest single USA religious denomination (of which I am NOT a member) will take heat for reduction of consideration and services to them. It's only natural. One can 'rationalize' it a hundred different ways, but it is still a cheapo-s reduction of service. The rest is window dressing...

It is my understanding that Catholics believe that their religion is the only true religion. In other words, that any other faith is either mistaken, heresy, a fake or even, in some cases, deviltry.

That doesn't mean that individual Catholics believe that they, as human persons, are more important than others. It just means that it can be very difficult for them to see that it is favoritism to single out their faith for support when other faiths are not supported.

If the "other faiths" are not "valid" then there is no need to provide for them.

My brother has this approach to other faiths, although he is not Catholic. It's just his belief that his way is the only correct way and that others can be ignored or discounted, being not "of the Lord."

I'm doing my best to understand my Catholic friends and they are doing the best they can to understand my need for "heresy."

LV - you only believe in yourself seemingly. All religious believe their faith is more important than any other... it is. That is faith. In the same way that you unshakeably believe in your own position. Should the line accomodate you? Of course. Have you made any particular demands on the line for special service along that line; no.

But a line that accommodated the largest single USA religious denomination (of which I am NOT a member) will take heat for reduction of consideration and services to them. It's only natural. One can 'rationalize' it a hundred different ways, but it is still a cheapo-s reduction of service. The rest is window dressing...

I don't only believe in myself. That is the exact opposite of everything I have been discussing. It is the Catholics posting on this board, as well as those who agree with them like yourself, that seem to only believe in themselves as they are only upset that a Catholic priest has been cut. Why were they not upset and writing letters when they realized Celebrity was not providing a priest for all other religions?

I can also understand Celebrity taking heat for this decision. But I think it is hypocritical to argue against this cut in benefits on the basis of it not being fair to a specific group when this benefit has never been fair for the majority of people. I contend that a reduction in services is completely fair if they can't provide an equal service to all people.

Folks, there are a couple of people who have posted herein, over and over and over again, who are clearly opposed to Catholics; and, whose presentations must be read very carefully due to their incoherence.

If you are referring to me, please cite where I have ever been discriminatory to Catholics and only Catholics. I am arguing for equal services for all people based on their particular beliefs. That is the exact opposite of discrimination as well as the exact opposite of Celebrity's past practice of catering to one specific religion which is the exact definition of discrimination.

Archived