Help - This is our first cruise

Ashley uk

I am going on my first cruise with my mum, dad and older brother in September.

It's a special holiday to celebrate my mum and dad's 25th wedding anniversary. We are traveling on the P&O Arcadia from Southampton on 20th September.

I am 18 years old and was wondering what to expect from the cruise. Will there be much to do? What do they mean by formal nights and what would I be expected to wear on these nights? Also what's best to wear on informal nights?

These are all probably silly questions to all of you who have cruised before, however I want to make sure that I and my family enjoy the cruise without wondering what's around the corner

Thanks in advance for your replies

Ashley - UK

Yes there will be Formal Nights usually 4 on a typical 15 day Cruise.You do not say where you are going.If it is to the Caribbean there will only be Formal and Casual Nights.However for the Med for example there may also be Semi Formal nights.

Formal Nights: Tux Dinner Jacket or Lounge Suit with Tie

Casual: Trousers Open neck shirt no Jeans or Tee Shirts or Football Shirts.

Semi Formal: Jackets and Trousers with or without a Tie.

Details can be found in The P&O Brochure and will also be included your tickets.The ships daily newspaper will advise details of the Nights Dress Code.Personally i would try to stick to the recommeded Dress Code if you don't you could very well feel 'out of it' as 90% of people 'Dress up'.

Have a great Hoilday Arcadia is a very lovely ship nice Bars [try the Orchid Bar] Excellent Restaurants . Arcadian Rhodes is well worth A try even taking into account the surcharge. :)

Hi

Yes most adults on Arcadia wear formal clothes on formal nights, so hopefully your parents will be taking you clothes shopping to get some nice clothes, if you haven't already got them. You don't say if you are a male or female Ashley, I know both....If male, trousers and a smart shirt ok for smart casual., if female,smart clothes like you would wear to a restaurant,or a dress/trousers and a tops... No sportswear, shorts, just something 'smart'

Here is a photo album just of Arcadia the ship, we had our 1st cruise on Arcadia too, also for our 25th Wedding Anniversary.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AllAboutArcadia#5109436511152102738

There won't be loads of people your age, but there should be some. Hope you have a good time,

Sue

We are on Arcadia at the end of August and I will hopefully post a review about the ship and facilities before you go in Sept, so if there is anything in particular you would like to know let me know.

I have a former collegue onboard with his wife and 18 year old daughter, so if you are worried about the age range onboard there will be someone else your age to!

I am going on my first cruise with my mum, dad and older brother in September.

It's a special holiday to celebrate my mum and dad's 25th wedding anniversary. We are traveling on the P&O Arcadia from Southampton on 20th September.

I am 18 years old and was wondering what to expect from the cruise. Will there be much to do? What do they mean by formal nights and what would I be expected to wear on these nights? Also what's best to wear on informal nights?

These are all probably silly questions to all of you who have cruised before, however I want to make sure that I and my family enjoy the cruise without wondering what's around the corner

Thanks in advance for your replies

Ashley - UK

Hi Ashley

How exciting it will be wonderful trip for all of you

Libralass and I are both ardent Arcadia Fans Myself having sailed on her twice

P&O do in general up hold a traditional style of cruising so dress codes are upheld especially on the Arcadia as she is a child free ship

I will be honest with you as a child free ship the age range does tend to be a little more mature however that depends on the cruise your taking if its the Med then the average age will be considerable younger than schedules including the Fjords in Norway or the Baltic states

However there are always some young people on board so I'm sure you will find people of a similar age and the crew are always younger and very friendly

As Sue states not sure if you are a lad or lass but if your a fella then I would deff go hire a DJ for the cruise you will feel completely in place in DJ for the formal evenings, If not a nice dark suit and tie will be fine

For the informal I normally where trousers and a jacket often without a tie or with a neck scarf if the mood takes me:cool: for smart casual a nice shirt and pairs of dress trousers is fine ( Persoanally I would skip jeans altogether I never take them on Traditional cruises they seem out of place in the evenings at anytime) In day it is fine of course to wear jeans

And if your a lass well hit the shops girlfriend and go mad its a great excuse to go shopping and glam up

Hope you have a wonderful time can highly recommend Librlass's reviews and piccies there always really good and honest

If your Parents anniversary is while away I would strongly suggest they book into the Arcadia Rhodes for nice romatic dinner for two its well worth the cover charge of £15

Soletread

Archived