How hard is the Hike ? ( Mt. Roberts)

gridswaldtravlers

I did the 1/2 mile trek, the shortest one of the trails on top of the tram. While its not flat, its well maintained with stairs on the steeper parts which makes it comfortable. They also have an accompanying audio track for the trail, which I didn't use.

Saw some small animals, large birds including eagles on the trek. We had a whale watching excursion planned, so I wasn't able to do any of the longer trails that are also available.

Your main cost is the tram itself, which is about $20. But there is a Alaska Toursaver Buy one get one free coupon that can cut the pp cost in 1/2.

I assume you are talking about hiking the whole way up to the tram station and then riding down. It is tough especially when the trail is wet....which is most of the time. Once you start up, if you change your mind and decide to climb back down there is a huge risk for a slip and a fall.

I have decades of experience and can now only climb up rather well as my knee can't handle down any more.

They built the tram for many reasons (money is one of them) but mainly to give visitors the view on a clear day.

Do not buy your tram tickets ahead of time or even too early on the day. They don't run out of tickets and the weather does change.

Hey Cruisers, Does anybody know how hard the hike is for Mt. Roberts? How long did it take? And is it worth it? We are trying to some cost, so I thought we might hike it. We do a little hiking. But nothing big. So we don't want to kill ourselves.Thanks for all replies

You might want to read this thread - it will give you some insight as to how difficult it could be for you to hike up to the tram level.

It's not hardcore, but it is *not* a walk in the park either. It really depends on what kind of hiking you do - if you do a lot of vertical ascents with decent-ish elevation gain, then you should be fine. If most of the hiking you do hardly involves any elevation gain, you may find it a bit challenging.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1016828&highlight=

I did the 1/2 mile trek, the shortest one of the trails on top of the tram. While its not flat, its well maintained with stairs on the steeper parts which makes it comfortable. They also have an accompanying audio track for the trail, which I didn't use.

Saw some small animals, large birds including eagles on the trek. We had a whale watching excursion planned, so I wasn't able to do any of the longer trails that are also available.

Your main cost is the tram itself, which is about $20. But there is a Alaska Toursaver Buy one get one free coupon that can cut the pp cost in 1/2.

The OP was asking about the trail up to the tram. That's quite a bit different. My friend and I, two sort of out of shape middle-aged broads, made it, but any problems with joints or lack of conditionally, or fear of heights will make this trail very difficult.

The tram is $27 PP.

You might want to read this thread - it will give you some insight as to how difficult it could be for you to hike up to the tram level.

It's not hardcore, but it is *not* a walk in the park either. It really depends on what kind of hiking you do - if you do a lot of vertical ascents with decent-ish elevation gain, then you should be fine. If most of the hiking you do hardly involves any elevation gain, you may find it a bit challenging.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1016828&highlight=

Thanks for all the info. I am looking at the tram now. We aren't in that great of shape. We are in our 40's with 3 adult kids with us, but the tram is sounding like better way.

Thanks again for info

Archived