Balmoral World Cruise - 2010 - price reduction shock

Hallstone

In September, 2008 we booked a cabin for two on the Balmoral World Cruise 2010. In the Fred. Olsen Worldwide brochure 2009/2010 the cruiseaway price was £13,198 each. A couple of weeks ago we received the Fred. Olsen Worldwide Brochure 2010/2011. In this latest brochure the cruiseaway price for our cabin is now listed as £11,199 each - a reduction of £2,000 each. To say we are disgusted is an understatement. Have any other cruisers had a similar experience and if so have they had a satisfactory outcome in negotiations or other possible options? Any comments would be very welcome.

Unlike in the US where price drops are honoured, the UK based companies are not allowed to honour them. I believe it has something to do with government rules, tax regulations or whatever, not through the choice of cruise lines.

This is why sometimes it pays to hang off booking til nearer departure date, however the risk is that in doing so the grade or specific cabin you want will not be available should you hold off.

It is a very long standing problem that affects all cruise lines, not just FOCL, in the UK. Something we just have to put up with I'm afraid to say.

A friend who booked a 2 week cruise many months in advance was upset to find the cost had dramatically dropped nearer the time. She asked her TA for advice who basically told her "tough luck," so my friend phoned FO direct, told them how upset she was and how it had put a dampener on what should have been a special cruise. :(

No she didn't get any money back but was given an cabin upgrade. ;)

It is unfortunate but it is the economics of the market place. I was on the same ship earlier this year and some people from the Netherlands who booked just a few days before they joined the ship paid 25% of the daily rate that many other passengers had paid

Although it doesn't make it any better if you go into a supermarket and pay a price on Monday and find that the same item is cheaper the next day you cannot expect a refund.

The problem with long cruises (and I have done a few) it is almost essential to book early to get the cabin of your choice. If you are on board for 70 -105 nights this is much more important than on a 7-night cruise.

There doesn't seem to be an answer to this problem and it will continue as long as there are unsold cabins on board ships.

I sympathise with you ,I don,t know who you booked with but Coop Travelcare has the same grade at the moment for £10.303.

You will see on FO website there is good availibility for your grade ,Olsen isn,t the only cruise line that do this ,P&O ,Cunard and a few US companies do, to the annoyance of their passengers.

Try to get a good upgrade and on board credit by getting in touch with Olsens customer services ,you may be lucky.:(

• 4 weeks later...

I just posted this on another thread - it relates my story about just finding out that my cruise is now being offered for almost 50% lower than the price I paid.

"........First I had an inside double as that was cheaper than a single. Had to make my mind up, said the TA, as there was only that one left.

Then a few weeks later, having been informed by the TA that complimentary upgrades were not given by F.O, I upgraded to an outside 4 berth with bath - I thought I would miss natural light. Nothing said then about limited availability, I did that with ease!

And what really upset me last night was that Gills Solo emailed me to ask if I was interested in this cruise for (from) £3300.

I guess this almost 50% reduction is because they haven't sold the cabins - but, wait a minute, I thought the ship was almost full according to the first TA?

Come to your own conclusions!

I am dim, I am a newbie as you can tell! I was led to believe that the first TA had a good reputation. I know it was my decision to book but I have this niggling feeling that I did so on the basis of a lie.

I shall not use them again. I'll know better next time, if there is one, and wait until the last minute to book. And maybe use Gill's!

Yours disgruntledly......but still looking forward to the adventure!'

So you are not alone, but sickening, isn't it?

Many TAs state that the ship is full when they have sold their allocation of cabins. The best way is to contact Ipswich, get an option on a cabin and then shop around the TAs. If you are on board a FOCL ship on a long cruise you can make a "pencil" booking and then negotiate with TAs.

It doesn't avoid the basic problem of last minute sales. I was on two sectors of the "Balmoral" cruise this year and the ship was filled up for one sector by "ast minute"bookers, mainly Dutch, who paid very low prices. It was made even more attractive to these passengers for they paid in Euros at parity with Sterling. You cannot really blame the cruise companies for it is better to sail full rather than maintaining prices and sailing with empty cabins. It is the cold, commercial world we live in.

We always book last minute for various reasons but mainly because we know we will get the best prices. We're not bothered about specific cabins and cruise lots. Cruise destinations are are primary concern.

Sorry you've had a raw deal. However, I hear that suspected norovirus is again present on the Balmoral! We suffered this in January and missed out on the Cape Verde islands and we were not permitted to land. We only did the cruise because of the Cape Verde islands so it was a bit of a blow. FO only offered us minimal compensation for all the inconvenience (they closed the gym, library, etc and the atmosphere on the ship suffered greatly). We have decided not to cruise with FO again - this is, of course, our personal choice and not everyone would agree. However, if I were booked on this ship I would want some pretty strong guarantees that all norovirus is eradicated. They assured us they were deep cleaning all areas when we left the cruise in the New Year - but seems it certainly did not do the trick.

Sorry if I've put a damper on things for you - but forewarned is forearmed and if you're looking for some compensation for the price drops this might be good ammunition!

Thanks, Welwyn. It is useful to learn about such matters. I have to say that I was miffed to know that Balmoral's itinerary had been changed - allegedly because of Canada's maritime rules and regs - and my long anticipated overnighter in Halifax had been cancelled. That took some of the gloss off the trip, then the £3000 price hike took some more off - and now Norovirus! What next? I shall know better next time too!!

After booking direct woth FOCL in July for my Balck Watch cruise that I went on last week & then finding out 10 days later that Gills were offering ( genuine) free upgrades for the same price that I paid I shall in future only book through Gills.

Annoying, isn't it?

quote=Hallstone;20722856]In September, 2008 we booked a cabin for two on the Balmoral World Cruise 2010. In the Fred. Olsen Worldwide brochure 2009/2010 the cruiseaway price was £13,198 each. A couple of weeks ago we received the Fred. Olsen Worldwide Brochure 2010/2011. In this latest brochure the cruiseaway price for our cabin is now listed as £11,199 each - a reduction of £2,000 each. To say we are disgusted is an understatement. Have any other cruisers had a similar experience and if so have they had a satisfactory outcome in negotiations or other possible options? Any comments would be very welcome.

....the answer I had expected,the party line, la la la......they will not refund the difference between what ...... is offering for singles (£3399) and what I paid buying through .......... (£6000 approx). But that the upgrade that I bought for an outside cabin that cost me £270 was really worth £2000..... etc

Since this pricing difference came to light I have been reading posts from our US cousins and their prices are very much lower.

They, of course, also have the advantage of being given price difference refunds if this type of thing happens, if I understand their system correctly.

For me, what I have learned through this experience is to do my homework and choose my cruise line and my TA more wisely and maybe to focus on the ones that look after solo cruisers, to leave it til last minute before I book. To say I am pig sick is an understatement! I know just how you feel, OP!!

I am glad to have picked up tips on this site about future bookings as well as details of some good 'singles' offers for last minute cruises so thank you to all of you who contributed.

I shall have to chalk it up to experience but it's a hard lesson.:mad:

Archived