Icy Strait Point Hiking Trails

Golden Gater

I only see a .6 mile Nature Trail on the Icy Strait website. Are there other trails for viewing wildlife?

I'm not sure I would venture off hiking in Hoonah without a guide. There are a lot of brown bears there. In fact, it is known for being an excellent place to see bears. We took a tour there a couple of years ago, and the guide we used was quite knowledgable and we felt safe under his guidance. Whenever we left the vehicle he was always armed and very aware of our surroundings.

I agree with not venturing off, though when we were there, only 1 of the two bear tours saw bear.

There is a mile hike along the shore from Icy Strait Point (where tenders dock) to Hoonah, where cool places like The Office are. One couple on our ship saw a whale breech from that trail.

Edited by mountainhouse

I would not hike just because there are possible bear encounters. Lots of info is available on being "bear aware" and I would go with at least one other person. Lots of people hike throughout Alaska with the possibility of bear encounters. The key is knowing what to do and how to react if you encounter a bear, not to avoid hiking at all.

Having said that, I am not sure there are great hiking trails near Hoonah.

• 5 years later...

I'm all ears for hiking options also. I haven't seen much. I figure I'll beach comb in Hoonah. And maybe find the laundry mat ;-).

And I second the emotion that bear awareness is key. If you can get a group of people to go on the hike that helps too. I've hiked many times in bear country, but always in groups.

Edited by TATraveler

There is a mile hike along the shore from Icy Strait Point (where tenders dock) to Hoonah, where cool places like The Office are. One couple on our ship saw a whale breech from that trail.
That is a very nice, scenic walking path along the water where you have a chance of seeing whales, seals or eagles, as well as tourists out kayaking.

You also see the fishing boats and excursion boats coming and going to and from Hoonah.

We hear that the path has been paved since the last time we were there, something that had long been requested to make it accessible for those with wheelchairs, walkers and scooters, even strollers.

There were also requests for years to put benches along that path, but I don't know if that has been done yet.

Maybe someone else on this forum who has been there recently can tell us.

The path along the waterfront on the other side, right on the Icy Strait property itself, has had benches for years, which are great places to sit and watch the scenery and wildlife.

The last time we were on a cruise ship that stopped at Icy Strait Point, it was raining and they were handing out large umbrellas to everyone right at the tender dock. It was a very nice gesture and made walking around there in the rain that day quite pleasant.

Edited by varoo

• 2 months later...