Puerto Vallarta & Mazatlan - saving $$$?

Coco83

unfortunately, my husband & I have had some unexpected expenses. I was recently laid off from my job + suffering from the Governator's 20% fee increase at state funded colleges. So we probably won't be able to do any pricey excursions as previously planned (but not booked yet).

we sail on 8/16 on the splendor to the mexican riviera. I've been to Cabo before so I feel comfortable going out on our own there, but any suggestions for P.V. and Mazatlan? I would love to tour those cities but concerned about safety. For example, haggling someone near the port to show us around like I've done other places. I don't know much about either of these places so any insight you could provide, I would really appreciate it.

are there certain destinations we shouldn't miss while in town? would it better to get a taxi or ride on a bus? what are the best beaches? THANKS :o

In Matzatlan we done the City & Shopping Tour and in Puerto Vallarta the Mismaloya City Tour both were enjoyable but best of all reasonally priced. Both had the Papantla Flyers performance, something you would not want to miss. In PV we found a balcony bar facing the beach that served $1 Corona's and watched the sunset.

We are like you, trying to save a few dollars...so I did a lot of research on PV. From the port...if you walk a few step out...take a taxi to downtown...and from there you can walk around...and walk to the Malecon. You can have bbq shrimp on the stick and swim. I was told, as long as you eat or buy drinks from the vendor...you can sit at the table on the beach with umbrellas.

As for Mazatlan...Mazatlan Frank charge $40 for per person tour. I heard he is great...so you might want to check his website out.

Cabos...we have nothing plan...problaby just walking around.

I heard Mazatlan Frank is great, but really need Cabo info. I leave in days and still not booked, might just book the Carn boat tour for $80 p/p:eek:

You don't need to spend $80 pp on a tour in Cabo. If you want to see the arch and sea lion colony you can rent a water taxi right off the tender dock for $10 or $11 per person. They will take you just on a tour or you can have them leave you at Lover's Beach (if you are spry enough to hop in and out of the boat in waist deep water) & pick you up later. Or have them take you to Medano Beach where all the action is - restaurants, water activities, etc. There is a ton of shopping or "looking" right near the piers, too. Also the Marina there is lined with shops and cafes. Lots to do in Cabo on the cheap!;)

For Mazatlan - I would also highly recommend a city tour with Mazatlan Frank. If you do not want to spend the $40 per person then I would recommend doing a search on this form for information on Stone Island. I have never been there, but I hear it is a very economical good family time with beaches, good reataurants with delicious shrimp and horseback riding.

PV - take a taxi to the Malecon and walk around. You can visit the Cathedral for no charge, take in the sand sculptures and artwork and shop, in addition to the beach.

Have fun!:D

Archived