A bit scared - I've never done it before!

readcjr

Hello everyone,

Yes I'm new to this and, forgive me, I've got some questions - not too daft I hope.

Freedom Dining - Does it work. I mean can we (a couple) get a table for two 'on demand' so to speak. Or is ahead planning required?

I know the speciality restaurants have a cover charge. What is this typically? Again, are tables readily available or is there generally a waiting list?

What should we budget over and above the headline cost for tips, drinks (a couple of G&T's and beers per evening, plus a bottle of wine), a few excursions........hmm - anything else?

I was a bit shocked to see that some of you are booked up for 2011 already. Is this why I am getting limited cabin choice on a 2010 enquiry?

If anyone has the time to ponder these queries then I shall be very grateful.

hi readcjr.welcome to the wonderfull world of cruising. with regard to your questions.

we have not used freedom dining but people have told us that you can prebook a table and return at a predetermind time.

on oceana the speciality resteraunts cost £7.75pp in the horizon grill and you have to book,we never had a problem getting a table even for the same night as booking.

marco piere white has a resteraunt in le jardin and i think the cover charge is about £15 to £20.pp.

tips are generaly down to your discretion.we tip the room steward at the start,half way through and then again at the end of the cruise.the table staff we tip on the last night.

drinks are slightley cheaper than on shore,a pint of beer was about £2.20.a bacardi and coke was £2.85.wine is rather expensive aprox £16.00 a bottle,champagne £2.95 on sailaway at southampton otherwise about £5.95 per glass.

usually the sooner you book the better deal you will get we usually book nearly a year before travel,this way you get the cabin you want,free parking at southampton and on board credit..hope this helps..humpy..happy sailing..

Here are some drinks prices for you:

DRINKS PRICE LIST MAY 2008 (Arcadia)

Sailaway Champagne £2.70 a glass

Pimms No1 £2.95

Champagne Cocktail £5.10

Single Gordons Gin £2.10

Sm Tonic Tin ``` £0.75

Sm can Lemonade £0.75

Cocktail of the day £2.50

Non Alc. Cocktail of day £1.70

Glass House White £2.65 175ml

Glass House White £3.65 250 ml

Glass Red Wine £2.80

Glass Chard. Neales £4.60 175ml

Pina Colada £3.95

Stella ½ pint £1.35

Stella pint £2.60

Bottle Grolsch £2.35

Budweiser £2.35

Magners Cider £3.45

Speckled Hen £2.40

Can Boddingtons £2.10

Bottle Pinot Grigio £13.50

Bottle Chardonney £16.50

Cappuccino £1.50 (café Vivo - Arcadia - free danishes/sweets with coffees -just ask)

Filter Coffee £1.00

Which ship and cruise are you doing?

For example Med excursions are very expensive, but some ports you can DIY. Rome , a trip there can be as much as £95pp but you do get to see all the sites and get a lunch included.

Readcjr

My specific reply is about Freedom Dining, which I have experienced both on Ventura & Oceana. You used to be able to pre book on Ventura, but they have now done away with this, on both the above mentioned ships.

If you require a table for two, my suggestion would be, to get to the Restaurant early, although in my opinion, this rather defeats the advantage of flexible dining.

The other method is to turn up, at a time to suit you, if there is a table available fine, if not they will give you a pager and then call you when a table is ready. They will also tell you approx how long it will be before your table will be ready, enabling you to go away and get a drink etc. I understand the waiting time is not very long.

When we were on Ventura, because you could pre book, we managed 12 out of 13 nights to get a table for two.

However on Oceana, we again had Freedom dining, but chose a table for 8, never had to wait, and had some great table companions.:D

Here are some drinks prices for you:

DRINKS PRICE LIST MAY 2008 (Arcadia)

Sailaway Champagne £2.70 a glass

Pimms No1 £2.95

Champagne Cocktail £5.10

Single Gordons Gin £2.10

Sm Tonic Tin ``` £0.75

Sm can Lemonade £0.75

Cocktail of the day £2.50

Non Alc. Cocktail of day £1.70

Glass House White £2.65 175ml

Glass House White £3.65 250 ml

Glass Red Wine £2.80

Glass Chard. Neales £4.60 175ml

Pina Colada £3.95

Stella ½ pint £1.35

Stella pint £2.60

Bottle Grolsch £2.35

Budweiser £2.35

Magners Cider £3.45

Speckled Hen £2.40

Can Boddingtons £2.10

Bottle Pinot Grigio £13.50

Bottle Chardonney £16.50

Cappuccino £1.50 (café Vivo - Arcadia - free danishes/sweets with coffees -just ask)

Filter Coffee £1.00

Sue

Thats very detailed have you been pocketing the bar menus or do you take a pen and paper :D

I must, thank you for taking the time to answer our/my questions- which prompted a couple more, if you would be so kind, which you obviously are....

Thinking of the Caribbean, possibly through the Panama canal (Oceana).

Wondering if the brief excursions into the various destinations leave you feeling - well, how do I say - wishing for more and that maybe a conventional holiday on the island in question instead of a cruise would be better. How do you feel about this?

Are the excursions in the Caribbean expensive and - I realise that this is subjective - worth while, or would you prefer wandering around the destination independently? We are not very good at being 'herded' into touristy areas. Is it wise wandering into Caribbean ports alone?

Is it actually the ship-board life that appeals to you seasoned cruisers rather than the ports of call? Sailing from Southampton was mentioned, hardly tropical and nothing but cold seas for several days - this is what makes me ask - you just want to get aboard - yes, no ?? Or is it just a hate of flying ? What d'you reckon?

We are minded to have a decent cabin with a balcony. How much does size matter! I can work out that some are quite snug, does this impact on your comfort or, as I read somewhere, what the heck, you're hardly ever in the cabin anyway.

All views will add to our scant knowledge.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Colin (& Sue of course, at work, god bless, earning our fare). :confused:

Hi, we have been on Oceana before and are doing the Panama Canal transit going from Acapulco to Barbados next January. We have always been fortunate enough to have a balcony and in the Caribbean it's particularly wonderful to have one. Standing out there as the ship leaves one of the islands with the sun setting, glass in hand is magic!

We have never chosen Freedom Dining, and never would. We enjoy the sociability of Club Dining, always table of 8 and 2nd sitting. Since we started cruising in 2003 we have met some lovely people, some of whom we are still in touch with. We love hearing about what everyone has done that day and have often gone on with some couples to the theatre or just to one of the bars. I know some people prefer Freedom Dining but it's not for us.

As far as excursions go it's a matter of choice and budget. Yes the tours are not cheap. Some of them you cannot do other than on a ship's excursion. However, some people quite successfully get taxis for tours of the islands or to a particular beach. I prefer having the security of a ship's tour knowing that if anything happens to delay us and we are late getting back to the ship the ship will wait for us. It will not wait for individual passengers who are not on ship's tours - we have seen one couple running down the quay as the ship pulled away and then being taken by the harbour master out on a rib and having to climb up the side of a ship! That said, many people do all sorts of trips independently so it's up to you.

We are really looking forward to the Panama trip - we booked over a year ago to get the cabin, and dinner sitting we wanted and premium seating on the plane. It's such a long flight we wanted the extra room.

Believe me the Caribbean is magic, you'll love it, and cruising is wonderful!

Carole:)

I will be in a balcony cabin on Oceana in 2 1/2 weeks time for a 7n fjord cruise. I always take photos and write a review, and will report back on the Oceana and the balcony on my return on the 5th September. But I have heard they are not the biggest balcony cabins. This is the last ship in the fleet for me to cruise on. So far, my favourite is Arcadia

Sorry to disagree with other comments regarding Freedom Dining but we did this on Ventura earlier this year and NO you cannot pre book Dinner in the main Restaurant.You just turn up between 6.30 pm and 9.30pm and you will be allocated a table.There may be a delay .The longest that we waited was 15mins you are given a pager and contacted when a table becomes available.Many first timers are under the impression that you can use any of the main Restaurants for dinner.This is not the case.You will be allocated a Restaurant for the duration of your cruise. Details will be found in your Cabin on arrival.On Ventura you had the opportunity to use the Select Dining Option in Marco Whites And East .There is a surcharge for these Restaurants and you will need to book a Table.Also on Ventura there is The Beach House [recommended] and The Waterside Buffet open for Dinner.There is not a surcharge for these Restaurants and there is no need to book.

Breakfast is opening sitting in one of the Main Restaurants or of course the Buffet is open.Have a good one:cool:

Nope, just typed out from receipts I brought back from a 16n cruise -saved in a file now so anyone asks its all there!

Your very organized Sue I admire that

Looking forward to seeing yuor review on the Oceana when you return

One quick question have you been back on the Arcadia since her refit and stretch I have seen images of the new aft pool area and the new seating looks lovely perfect for my wife and I as I love the sun and she loves the shade and we never really used the aft pool due to the lack of shady area

Has the increase in passenger numbers effect the service on board or the atmosphere Arcadia always felt relaxed and not to crowded

Hi Soletread.

As you know the refit was last November, and this year we decided to give Arcadia a miss after cruising on her every year..(see below we did Oriana and will be on Oceana soon)

Have lots of friends who HAVE been on her this year, including a couple who came off Friday after a week in the fjords...they report all is well. The Aquarius deck is wonderful, with extra sunloungers, the cinema is lovely, and although just 30 luxury chairs, films are shown very often. The dining room has absorbed the extra 30 cabins created on the aft deck.

I may be back next year!

Archived