Alaska Inside Passage June 2010 Sapphire or Golden Princess?

jayandjen

I am planning a cruise to Alaska roundtrip from Seattle during June of 2010. We will be a multi-generational group (17-79) celebrating my in-laws' 50th anniversary. We decided on Seattle as a departure port because of the ease and lower expense of flying to Seattle from San Antonio.

The Sapphire and Golden Princess both sail similar itineraries and similar costs from Seattle, but I am having a hard time deciding which one to book. Here are the details:

Golden Princess: Older ship (2001), but extensively refurbished in 2009; Allows more time in Juneau and Skagway and visits Glacier Bay National Park. It has the International Cafe' as a breakfast and lunch option. (I'm not crazy about buffets.) It also has Movies under the Stars. Departs on Saturdays.

Sapphire Princess: Newer ship (2004), but I can't seem to find out if or when she was last refurbished; allows more time in Ketchikan and visits Tracy Arm fjord instead of Glacier Bay. There is no mention of an International Cafe or Movies Under the Stars on Princess' website for the Sapphire. Departs on Sundays.

My problem is that the Sapphire's Sunday departure is more convenient, but there are things that I prefer on the Golden. Can anyone with experience cruising Alaska help me make a decision? I have read so many cruise reviews and posts that I can't see straight. Thanks!

We are booked on the Golden on June 12th. We love the Golden (this will be our 3rd time on it). We choose this date because the Golden is going to Glacier Bay. Booked a cabin on the Caribe Deck with an extra large balcony. It was only $100.00 more than a regular sized balcony.

We may end up on the same cruise as I am seriously considering June 12th. There are no discounts on that date yet. Have you had any experience with getting rate reductions after your initial booking? Is Princess cooperative about it, or do they always include "exclusions" for older bookings?

First you will not go wrong with either of these ships and have been on both of them more than once.

These ships are very very similar in pax space ratios and crew to pax ratios. There not crowded. Food and service is excellent.

Not sure when the Sapphire is scheduled for a make over but at 5 years it doesn't need it and these ships are maintained daily. The airplane you will fly on will probably be older than either one of these ships.

We were just on the Sapphire in April and it is in excellent condition.

Of the two ships I would choose the Sapphire. But the Golden goes to Glacier Bay and I would pick Glacier Bay over TA. So my choice is the Golden. However, I would much prefer Vancouver up or Whittier down IMO a far superior itinerary that includes Vancouver a destination in itself. And Anchorage is well worth a visit.

I probably didn't help your situation much but you have choices.

Jack

Balconys on the Caribe deck are half covered and half open. The cabins on the deck below are completely open - they are the mini-suites. I did not want one of those cabins just in case it rains. We received a good rate. Right now many of the on-line travel companies are offering a reduced deposit with a coupon book or a $50.00 ship board credit. Rates usually go up for me when I book so far in advance that I never tried for a cheaper rate. Get a mid-ship room as I heard the seas could get rough in Alaska.

Thanks for your reply. I would love to do a one way and cruise tour, but we decided on r/t Seattle because some of the retired members of the party want to drive to the port, and flying r/t Seattle is much less expensive. My husband and I will probably do a more extensive tour later, after we have become more familiar with the area. I know that this will not be my first and last trip to Alaska!

If it were strictly a ship decision I would likely choose the Sapphire. We haven't been on the Golden since her drydocking in May but having been on the Diamond (sister to the Sapphire) we just felt more comfortable on the Diamond than the Golden....public spaces felt larger and the flow of people seemed better.

Archived