Do you take the Carnival logo beach towels ashore?

scrapulous

We're going to Cozumel and plan to snorkel from the beach (Chankanaab). If we bring the towels and leave them on the beach while we snorkel, will they be safe? I can't imagine anyone wanting to steal them, but I also don't know if I should risk it at $22 a pop. I can bring beach towels from home, but they take up a lot of room in the suitcase.

WWYD?

Thanks.

The towels that you get on the ship are very thick and heavy. We always bring thin, light weight beach towels with us. Just so we don't have to carry around the Carnival towels. Although, a lot of people do take them off the ships. Carnival give you a clean beach towel every night before arriving at an island.

I have a friend who doesn't like bringing them ashore because she thinks they mark you, albeit among a sea of tourists, as extra touristy and vulnerable. My skin is a delicate shade of eggshell, so not looking touristy would be a pointless endeavor for me. I just think they're too heavy compared to regular beach towels. Also, although I have never lost my own towel, I pretty much know I would somehow lose Carnival's. :p

We bought some ultra-cheap $4 beach towels from CVS a few years ago, and use them instead of the heavy Carnival towels. If they get stolen or messed up, it's no big deal. Plus, because they are thin they dry quickly after you hang them up.

We're going to Cozumel and plan to snorkel from the beach (Chankanaab). If we bring the towels and leave them on the beach while we snorkel, will they be safe? I can't imagine anyone wanting to steal them, but I also don't know if I should risk it at $22 a pop. I can bring beach towels from home, but they take up a lot of room in the suitcase.

WWYD?

Thanks.

Carnival's towels aren't coast guard approved flotation devices, but they do float;

2170730790065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Embrace the tourist in yourself!

2843294120065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

If we are going to a port we havent been to yet we usually buy souvineer towles, and use them at the beach. There is room in the suitcase on the way home since the pop/alcohol we bring is gone. The ports we have been to we bring the blue carnival towels.

My DW and I have a difference of opinion on this.

I would take another white towel from our cabin and not have to worry about losing a $ 22 towel. Towel is not as thick (or heavy) as the blue one but in Caribbean weather not an issue.

Sometimes we take two beach towels and sometimes we take two white ones but have never lost any.

Not about to take towels from home.

Chankanaab has lockers available. If you rent your snorkel equipment, the locker is included in the fee and has plenty of space.

If you have your own snorkel equipment, you can rent a locker.

The snorkelling was incredible in Chankanaab! We just did it on a whim to kill time before heading back to the ship. We were so glad we did! Take a good underwater camera, for sure! There are also some statues under the water that are very neat to swim over.

I used to take my own towels (cheap ones) but they never dried in the cabin. If we're doing a really heavy day of hiking, we'll still take our lightweight towels to cut down on weight, but going to a park or on a snorkel or kayak trip, we'll take the big Carnival ones so we can just have them switched out each night.

We take the Carnival beach towels ashore. I've never been on a beach in port where there were not other Carnival beach towels around. I agree with Paul - embrace your inner tourist LOL. It's not like all the other crap I am carrying doesn't mark me.
\

I agree.

I would also say that the last thing I want to do on vacation is waste precious clothing space to lug beach towels along in my suit case. Not to mention, when they get wet and sandy, I would have to then wash them myself as you cannot hang them on the balcony to dry. Whereas the CCL get dropped, water, sand and all, on the bathroom floor, and "vwalah" when I come back from dinner, they are gone, replaced with nice fresh ones, and my bathroom floor is clean and sparklely. I love my cabin stewards!:D That extra tip is earned everytime!

Paul, you crack me up! Thanks! :D

Megnolia, thanks for mentioned the lockers. That helps a lot.

I already know we'll look like tourists, so I'm not worried about that!

So I'll take the Carnival towels, because I don't want to take up space in my suitcase bringing my own!

BaiAilian2013 I have a friend who doesn't like bringing them ashore because she thinks they mark you, albeit among a sea of tourists, as extra touristy and vulnerable. My skin is a delicate shade of eggshell, so not looking touristy would be a pointless endeavor for me. I just think they're too heavy compared to regular beach towels. Also, although I have never lost my own towel, I pretty much know I would somehow lose Carnival's.

And does she really think that the locals on these islands can't tell she is a tourist.

On the beaches i have been on while cruising there has not been any locals just lounging around on the beach taking in the rays and riding the waves.

Has anyone really been charged the $22? On RCL, the charge was $25 and we were never charged it despite the fact that I didn't know to bring the towels back to the room and just threw them in the wet towel bin by the pool. For all our room attendant knew, we were packing away the towels in each port and yet we never once had a fee on our bill for a missing towel.

Has anyone really been charged the $22? On RCL, the charge was $25 and we were never charged it despite the fact that I didn't know to bring the towels back to the room and just threw them in the wet towel bin by the pool.

Well I know a cc member that accidentally packed one in their luggage and brought it home........they were never charged:D No it was not me:p

Also on Princess I told my room steward we were missing one and he just gave us another one and nothing more said......

If they didn't mention the charge........can you imagine how many more would come up missing lol!

OP we always bring ours in port and have never had a problem.....

And does she really think that the locals on these islands can't tell she is a tourist?

On the beaches I have been on while cruising, there have not been any locals just lounging around on the beach taking in the rays and riding the waves.

You'll notice I said "extra touristy." I think the idea is that someone who doesn't even have his own beach towel is likely to be a less experienced traveler and therefore an easier mark.

Always bring them - but I agree they are large, heavy and even heavier when wet!!! As for the towels 'marking' you - no problem there. We always end up meeting other carnival cruisers (also marked by their towels :) ) and nothing wrong with asking your 'co-cruisers' to watch your stuff for a minute while you swim or go to the washroom or ???. Have never had a problem with anyone taking the towel - and altho I would love to bring a smaller, lighter towel with me alas my luggage space is very precious to me and every ounce counts!

I've taken it on a snorkeling excursion from a boat...but when I do my dive excursions I will often just take my swim towel, which is super absorbent and can be rung out to absorb more...weighs less than 2 pounds soaking wet....then again, my dive gear is not so light... :(

Archived