Alaska 2010: Sapphire or Golden Princess?

jayandjen

I am planning a cruise to Alaska roundtrip from Seattle during June of 2010. We will be a multi-generational group (ages 17-79) celebrating my in-laws' 50th anniversary. We have all cruised in the Caribbean, but this will be everyones' first trip to Alaska. We decided on Seattle as a departure port because of the ease and lower expense of flying to Seattle from San Antonio.

The Sapphire and Golden Princess both sail similar itineraries at similar costs from Seattle, but I am having a hard time deciding which one to book. Here are the details:

Golden Princess: Older ship (2001), but extensively refurbished in 2009; Allows more time in Juneau and Skagway and visits Glacier Bay National Park. It has the International Cafe' as a breakfast and lunch option. (I'm not crazy about buffets.) It also has Movies under the Stars. Departs on Saturdays.

Sapphire Princess: Newer ship (2004), but I can't seem to find out if or when she was last refurbished; allows more time in Ketchikan and visits Tracy Arm fjord instead of Glacier Bay. There is no mention of an International Cafe or Movies Under the Stars on Princess' website for the Sapphire. Departs on Sundays.

My problem is that the Sapphire's Sunday departure is more convenient, but there are things that I prefer on the Golden. Can anyone with experience cruising Alaska help me make a decision?

Sapphire does not have the international cafe or MUTS, but we were aboard her for 21 doing a coastal and Alaska a few years and love her. We are going to sail the refurbished Golden again to Hawaii in the spring.....I don't think you can go wrong with either ship. We are sailing the Sapphire for 62 days next fall.

I will say that I would choose the Glacier Bay itinerary over Tracy Arm, so that would make it Golden for me....I love the international cafe, and while I have never made it through an evening MUTS presentation, I did enjoy watching the football playoffs in the late afternoon on MUTS this past January.....but those two things are not a big deal for Alaska. For me it is Glacier Bay, but that is not the choice that everyone would make, hence, Princess has choices out there.

Good luck in choosing - you have a win-win situation here.:)

Archived