Currency in Western Caribbean

NKG6002

Hello :-)

What is the local currencies in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan and Belize ?

Is the shopping good in Belize and Roatan and consequently needing local currencies ?

Thanks in advance ! :D

All of the above GLADLY ACCEPT US currency ! But be prepared that if getting back change, it may be in THEIR CURRENCY !

In Cozumel, some places had prices marked in USD, others in pesos. They all accepted US dollars, but like some of the others said, they'd give back change in pesos. Dollars are pretty much universally accepted in any "tourist" area of the Caribbean.

I feel you get ripped off in both Belize and Cozumel using us $$$ In belize the rate was 12-1 but lunch still cost us $22 in us funds and that was for rice and beans and 2 soft drinks. In cozumel I was going to buy a salt and pepper shaker they wanted $10.00 again in us $$ . We were told in Beloize if you pay in us you will get change back in us funds. I just thought with the exchange rate being what it was we'd be getting great deals.

Mike

You have to be careful with the exchange rate. In Mexico the official rate floats around 12 to 13peso to us dollar. Stores make it simple for them and you by rounding it down to 10 to 1. If your making a major purchase go to a bank and get your dollars changed. If only buyng cheap tourist crap or having few drinks and a meal suck it up and give them dollars. In that case it is only pennies that we are talking about.

You have to be careful with the exchange rate. In Mexico the official rate floats around 12 to 13peso to us dollar. Stores make it simple for them and you by rounding it down to 10 to 1. If your making a major purchase go to a bank and get your dollars changed. If only buyng cheap tourist crap or having few drinks and a meal suck it up and give them dollars. In that case it is only pennies that we are talking about.

That's kinda what I was thinking....I'll be sure to take a big wad of $1's and $5's and a bunch of coins. Thats to all who answered !!!!!!

Just be sure to keep in mind the international credit card fees if they apply to your card. Again read the small print. These fees can run from 3% to as much as 15%:eek:.

EXCELLENT addition to the thread.....and those c.card fee's may offset the ASSUMED "savings" you may or may not be really be getting by purchasing a high ticket item in the caribbean.

Archived