Excursions?

Rhitson88

I know there is probably another thread like this, but can anyone give me a suggestion on excursions for this island? I am going on the Legend September 20th and have my excursions picked out for Cozumel and Isla Roatan already but this one and Cayman Islands is all I need help with. So any help would be appreciated. And if there is a website for your suggestion please post that as well.

I know there is probably another thread like this, but can anyone give me a suggestion on excursions for this island? I am going on the Legend September 20th and have my excursions picked out for Cozumel and Isla Roatan already but this one and Cayman Islands is all I need help with. So any help would be appreciated. And if there is a website for your suggestion please post that as well.

Given that no one knows really what you are looking for in a shore excursion, your question is really un answerable.

As for what do I like to do when in Belize or GC???..... Well in Belize I choose to go cave tubing and in GC I choose to go to Sting Ray City and Rum Point.....;)

As for a website for SUGGESTIONS....you are already at the right place !

Read thru the threads on the Belize and GC ports of call boards and see if there is something that sounds appealing to you and then further research the shore tour. :rolleyes:

My DH and I were on Legend in March and loved Belize. We signed up for a Lamanai tour through a private carrier and had a wonderful time. Check out experiencebelizetours.com -- we thought it was a great bargain for the money, lunch was very good, and the river boat ride was a blast. we saw crocodiles and beautiful birds and had a great guide. it was a full day but honestly I can say I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Here's what I posted about Belize on the cruise site I put together for my upcoming family cruise, so that family members could figure out what they want to do.

The port in Belize City is located so that it's convenient to both the jungles in the interior of the country (about the size of Massachusetts) and the outlying islands on the barrier reef. That said, Belize city itself is not the prettiest part of the country- it's mostly a poor/working class city without much that's interesting to tourists. This is one port where you really do have to get out of the immediate area to see what the country has to offer. It's a tender port, meaning that since the ship can't come in past the reef, it anchors offshore and smaller boats called tenders pull up alongside to ferry passengers to shore. The tender boats drop you off at the Tourism Village, which is a quaint collection of duty-free shops, and is where many tour vendors meet their customers. Water taxis also leave from here to the outlying islands.

The big draws here are cave tubing, Mayan ruins, and various snorkeling/dive trips on the Belize Barrier reef, the second-largest barrier reef in the world (the same system that extends up the Mexican coast to Cozumel).

Shore Excursion Options:

On the mainland:

- Cave Tubing: the best-reviewed excursion in Belize. Basically, you float on an inner tube through jungle rivers that pass through giant caves the Mayans once consider gateways to the underworld. The video to the right shows Samantha Brown from the travel channel tubing through the same caves. Independently $50 each, or $100 through cruiseline

- Ziplining: Fly through the rainforest canopy eye-level with birds and howler monkeys. The trek here has 6 spans, one as far as 250 feet between platforms. $70 each independently/$99 ship tour.

- Ziplining and Cave tubing are offered at the same resort, so can be combined for about $95 each independently, or $149 through the ship. The resort is about an hour from port.

- Horseback Riding- through both the "Savannah" and rainforest, including a stop at a resort with optional pool time to cool off after ride. $65 each independently/$96 ship tour. This resort is about an hour from port.

- Belize Zoo- Wildlife sanctuary started to house semi-tame wildlife left behind after a documentary was filmed here in the 80s. All native Belizean species, animals here were mostly rescued from homes where they were inappropriate pets. Gorgeous location in the jungle. Cheapest tour I can find to here on its own is $50 each, but it can be combined with Altun Ha Mayan Ruin or Cave Tubing. Let me know if you're interested and I'll look harder to find a cheaper way to do it on its own, since it shouldn't be that expensive to get to. The cruiseline offers it via a riverboat ride for $92 each.

- Mayan Ruins- You have 4 options-

1) Altun Ha- closest and best-excavated of the ruins. Two pyramids, one of which you can climb (about 60 feet I'd say), and several smaller structures. Can be combined with zoo or city tour. From $42 each independently/$82 each ship tour.

GW200H1322) Lamanai- If I were going to ruins here, this is the one I'd pick. They're the least excavated, most extensive and most "Indiana Jones-ish" of the ruins here. It's one of the oldest Mayan sites on record, dating from 1500 BC, and you have to reach it via boat, so your first sight is of the main pyramid rising out of the jungle. Apparently there's lots of opportunities to see wildlife on the river ride to the site. All those plusses aside, it's a long day. This is the hardest site to get to, and I'd at least consider booking it with the cruise ship if offered because of the complicated transportation connections (tender from ship to port, bus from port to river, riverboat to site... then back again). That said, it's marketed as a 6 hour tour, which should still work if you wanted to book independently. It's listed at $75 per person independently, or $96 through the ship.

3) Xunantunich- Not a huge site, but a really tall, well-preserved pyramid with interesting frescos carved into it. Apparently the views from here (you can see into Guatemala) are gorgeous. Listed as a 5.5 to 6 hour tour for $70 per person independently/$96 through the ship- a decent bit of that time is spent on the bus getting there and back.

4) Cahal Pech- I don't know much about it, except that it's considered a minor site located near Xunantunich. I would look at one of the other three, but if you want me to do more research into this one, let me know. $69 through ship.

On the Cayes ("keys") and on the water:

GW130H184- Snorkelling in Shark Ray Alley- There's an area of a national marine protected zone that was historically used to clean the fishermen's catch-of-the-day; thus, stingrays and nurse sharks used to hang out and eat the scraps. This area is still a great area to see these rays and docile nurse sharks. This tour also includes a more traditional reef snorkelling stop, as well as lunch on the beach, for $75 each. The ship doesn't offer this particular tour, but does offer a general snorkeling trip for $75 without the Shark Ray Alley stop.

- Manatee Watch- Visit a manatee reserve by boat, and a second location for reef snorkelling. Round out the day with beach time for $60 each- not offered through the cruiseline.

- Scuba Diving- Lots of different options, but 2-tank dives are generally around $125 if you're certified (or $165ish through the ship). Expect to pay about $135 for a "Discover Scuba" course if you're not certified. Let me know if you're interested and I'll do more research.

You should also be able to take a water taxi out and sit on a beach, but I should point out that none of the nearby outlying islands have particularly good swimming beaches, since they have sea grass in most of the shallow water near shore. There are often piers to walk out and climb down a ladder into clearer water, but if you're expecting something different you might be surprised.

Thats awesome man, thanks. What this website that you were talking about because I still need something for Cayman Islands. Though we may just shop there and chill out as I see thats usually what people are doing on this stop.

Thats awesome man, thanks. What this website that you were talking about because I still need something for Cayman Islands. Though we may just shop there and chill out as I see thats usually what people are doing on this stop.

The most popular tour is Sting Ray City.... I always book with www.nativewaywatersports.com ;)

Or you can grab a cab and go to 7 mile beach and relax. Shopping is PRICEY in the Caymen Islands... :eek:

I second Nativeway sports for Grand Cayman. We used them in January this year and it was great!! They use smaller boats, much more personal. We did reef, rays, and rum point. Great value for your hard earned buck!!! Lunch was served on the beach at rum point.....good food and beautiful beach!

Thing with the whole stingray deal is, my girlfreind doesn't like the idea of Stingrays swimming next to you and she just won't. Lol, we live in Tampa Florida and should be well acquainted with them but nope. I could care less. But shopping is expensive?

Make sure you go to Bernard K. Passman's jewelry store on Grand Cayman.

Only posting this here ebcause it was asked what to do there.

Yes, let me take an EXCURSION to the jewlery store. Get real man. I asked what excursions are there to do.

Thing with the whole stingray deal is, my girlfreind doesn't like the idea of Stingrays swimming next to you and she just won't. Lol, we live in Tampa Florida and should be well acquainted with them but nope. I could care less. But shopping is expensive?

She can opt to stay on the boat for that part of the excursion. I believe the stingray part is under an hour, the the other parts of the tour are supposed to be great (we're booked for November...my 82 year old grandma is opting to stay onboard). I *have*, however, been to Rum Point and it is GORGEOUS. The price from Nativeway includes lunch from there and some non-alcoholic drinks onboard.

And yes, shopping is outrageously expensive on GC.

You said it yourself regarding shopping !

Make sure you go to Bernard K. Passman's jewelry store on Grand Cayman.

Only posting this here ebcause it was asked what to do there.

Yes, let me take an EXCURSION to the jewlery store. Get real man. I asked what excursions are there to do.

And then you slam the poster for making a suggestion ??? Not very nice of you when you are asking for assistance. I would not look for others to help you much in the future if you respond like that ! :eek:

SingingPixie - that recap for Belize is AWESOME! Wonder if you have something similar for Roatan, Cozumel and Costa Maya? I'm the organizer for our group of six (two have never cruised) and you very successfully recapped what Belize is all about. We did the cave tubing first time around and will now explore the barrier reef on our next cruise.

SingingPixie - that recap for Belize is AWESOME! Wonder if you have something similar for Roatan, Cozumel and Costa Maya? I'm the organizer for our group of six (two have never cruised) and you very successfully recapped what Belize is all about. We did the cave tubing first time around and will now explore the barrier reef on our next cruise.

Thanks! I'm basically doing the same thing for our group, except I'm the only one who's cruised before. I don't have Roatan, but our itinerary does include Cozumel and Costa Maya so I do have both of those. I got most of my info from the Port of Call boards here, and used the cruiseline website as well as shoretrips as general guidelines of what the options were, so that would get you started doing one for Roatan. Anyway, here is Costa Maya:

Costa Maya Port Info

GW370H281Costa Maya is a unique port. This was pretty much empty land dotted with a few small villages when the cruise industry decided to build a pier here a few years ago. Just as it started to get going, a hurricane wiped everything out (I think it was 2007?) and they had to rebuild again. Facilities have been rebuilt, but you can tell the damage that was done by looking at some of the vegetation a bit inland from the main beach strip.

Another thing that sets Costa Maya apart is the lack of major tourist attractions in the usual sense of the word. The port was built near a major Mayan Ruin called Chacchoben, as well as a lagoon and a Mayan village. Right next door to the cruise pier is a beach town called Mahahual.

It's possible to spend the day just taking advantage of the facilities (pool, bars, duty-free shopping) at the pier. It's also possible to take a cab or bus (just a couple dollars) to the town of Mahahual and find a beach bar/restaurant you like, sit down in a beach chair (all of the beach is taken up by individual restaurants- no charge for chairs, but they do

expect you to order something) and hang out all day. There are snorkel trips (about $50- privately or through ship) and dive trips (about $100 independently/$126 through ship) available from town.

In terms of real shore excursions, we have:

Chacchoben Mayan Ruins: The tour guide that owns this company actually grew up on this land- his father was a GW187H235Mayan farmer here who discovered the ruins, and he and his siblings played on the unexcavated pyramids. Now he shares the culture with those who come to see it. This is an active archeological site with more still left to be uncovered. $50 each independently/$75 through ship.

Mayan Experience Tour: The Chacchoben Mayan Ruins tour combined with a trip to a modern Mayan village where you learn about their culture and are served a meal. $70 each- not offered through ship

GW193H143Chacchoben Extreme Tour: The Chacchoben Mayan Ruins tour combined with a visit to the Seven Color Lagoon, where you can swim, kayak, or just hang out. $70 each- not offered through ship

Zipline Tour: Located near the Seven Color Lagoon. $105 each- not offered through ship.

I can also look into other Mayan ruins near here if you're interested.

And Cozumel:

Cozumel Port Info

Cozumel is one of the most-visited ports in the Caribbean, so there are lots of options here. In terms of basic geography, it's an island off the coast of mainland Mexico, roughly across from Cancun. It's a diving and snorkeling mecca, where Jacques Cousteau filmed many dives. There are also many beautiful beaches to suit different tastes, lots of shopping, and some interesting dry land excursions. It's definitely the most commercial/"touristy" of the ports we'll visit, but that also means it's easy to navigate as a tourist. The cabs are safe, and you don't necessarily have to rely on a "tour" to do many activities on the island.

This is one place where taking a cab into town to do some shopping/wandering is easy. Personally, I wouldn't recommend staying in the pier area, as I found the vendors rather pushy and the stuff they were selling pretty poor-quality, but I've heard good things about going into the town of San Miguel.

Beaches here require a bit more planning, if only because there are so many different types. There are high-end resort beaches, those with blow-up ice bergs for kids to climb, those that focus on parasailing and wave runners, those in a protected marine zone that limit activities to non-motorized ones like kayaking and snorkeling, and rocky windward beaches that are beautiful but dangerous to swim in. Most beaches require you to either pay admission or at least buy some food/drink, and almost all require a cab ride, so it's good to know ahead of time what might suit your taste so you don't find kids on water trampolines when you were looking to snorkel, or spring breakers doing body shots while you wanted a quiet place to read and listen to the waves.

The main thing Cozumel is known for are diving and snorkeling on the reefs located offshore, as well as shopping.

Beaches (described moving south from the pier):

Dzul-Ha/The Money Bar- Really just a bar/restaurant w/ phenomenal snorkeling offshore. You can't grab a tour here, but it's close enough to go on your own. No admission, and you can get in the water without buying food, but if you want to sit and relax, plan on buying a drink at least.

GW144H108Playa Uvas- Markets itself as an upscale beach club, but feels much more laid-back. Located within the marine park, so no motorsports, but fantastic kayaking (with clear boats so you can see below you) and snorkeling from shore. They also offer massages, great food/drinks, a pool, hammocks, and a very pretty beach. I'd recommend it if you're looking for someplace quiet/relaxing but still with things to do. Admission is only charged if you don't plan to buy food or do an activity. Snorkeling is $22, Kayaking is $30 (both tours- snorkel rental is cheaper or you can use your own for free). It's a rockier beach which allows for the good snorkeling- fish don't have anywhere to hide in sand. There is sand to relax on, just the entry to the water is rocky.

Paradise Beach- This is the beach with all the water toys- iceberg, water trampoline, etc. They have no admission fee, but charge $10/pp to use the water toys and expect you to buy food/drinks during your stay.

Mr Sanchos- Sounds more like bar/restaurant with a party beach, and jet skis, water toys, etc. Doesn't look like they charge admission, but plan on buying food/drink.

Playa Palancar- Quiet, sandy beach toward the south end of the island. No admission, just buy lunch from the restaurant. They run snorkel tours out to the Palancar and Columbia reefs from here.

Nachi Cocom- Sort of a compromise between all the Cozumel beaches- they limit the number admitted so it stays quiet, but they do have some of the higher-energy activities like wave runners. Admission with lunch and open bar is $49, and you pay from activities after that.

More Traditional Excursions:

On Land:

Jeep Tour through Punta Sur Ecological Reserve- Drive a Jeep trough the reserve, stopping at a small Mayan ruin, a lighthouse, a lagoon, and a snorkel site. $89 each.

Segway Tour- Learn to Segway, then take it to a popular nearby snorkel spot. $72 each.

Zipline Tour- 2 hour trip, $72 each, or $108 with a snorkel/beach trip afterward

GW239H159Tulum Mayan Ruins- One of the most dramatic Mayan Ruins, perched on cliffs above the Caribbean Sea on the mainland. Is a long day involving a ferry crossing and a bus ride. I've heard it's gorgeous, but fair warning- I've heard a lot of people have problems getting seasick on the ferry. $110 each.

ATV Trip- Drive an ATV trip through the Jungle, ending up at a snorkel spot. $98 each.

Dune Buggy Tour- Drive a Dune Buggy over the whole island, including the wild east coast. Includes stop at small Mayan ruin, and a snorkeling stop. $91 each.

On/In the Water:

Dolphin Swims: a variety of levels of interaction corresponding to various prices. I can personally vouch for the fact that the one with the most interaction (called the "Royal Swim") is well worth it. Ranges from $78-$149 per person.

Snorkel Tours: There are a bunch, so if you want to do one I'll do more research on specific companies/where they go/etc. Generally, they range from $50-$75 for a boat trip that takes you to two or more offshore reefs. There's also the option of snorkeling from shore, if you know ahead of time some good spots, bring your own gear and get a cab to drop you off.

GW200H150Scuba Diving: Generally around $80 for a two-tank dive, and a little more for a "Discover Scuba" uncertified lesson. You can also book these through the beaches and take advantage of their facilities after the dive for lunch/lounging/snorkeling/etc.

Atlantis Submarine- Go down 90 feet without getting wet. $105 per person.

Helmet Dive- Walk on the bottom of the ocean wearing a helmet that lets you breathe. $99 each.

Snuba- Dive while breathing through a hose connected to a tank on the surface- a hybrid of scuba and snorkeling. $69 each.

Singing Pixie,

i am planning a trip for my non cruise friends to places where i haven't been and the work you have done in summarizing things is great! i just sent it off to my group. The biggest thing is for them to understand that they can't just 'wing it' in belize. they aren't planners and wanted to just get off the boat and wander around so your description is great in helping me point out that this is not the port for that.

Thanks Singing Pixie!! If any in your group want to do a great catamaran snorkel trip (and if it works into your time frame) try Tucan Sailing Adventure. My husband and I sailed with them last February and they offer an awesome product. If you do a search on the Cozumel board for Tucan you'll be able to read some of the details. Thanks again for sharing your research! Happy cruising!

I can tell you what not to do. I did the clear Kayak at UVas in Cozumel. Terrible....Buyer Beware!!!

There is no reef to see. The Kayakers steer around the snorklers.... 2 people are put in a kayak made for one. Leaves no room to see the bottom if there were something to see..... which there isn't..... No reef = no fish.

A great trip to look at the sandy bottom of the ocean. Fish NADA

• 4 weeks later...

I second the vote for coralbreezetours. I just came back from there snorkel, manatee watch, & beach break (@ Bannister) in Aug. I am plannng to do it again in Dec. In Grand Cayman, I highly recommend stingraysailing if that iterests you. I have gone to stingray city a # of times, but this tour was the best. They use a catamaran, which is great, & the snorkel site was great, too. One guy got a moray to come out & play (or maybe that was on the coralbreeze tour. I can't remember right now.). We also got to see an octopus ink, I don't remember which tour that was on, either. It was very cool. I'm having computer problems at this time or I would upload the video of it for you. Anyway, both of these tours were great.

• 5 weeks later...

Great info on belize excusions. We are doing our first cruise ever in November with Carnival - family of four with kids 12&13. We're thinking of doing an Explore Scuba course. Friends and family who have cruised before have forwarned about booking private excursions, particulary in places that involve long distances to get to and from the ship. My Aunt actually missed her port departure while on a private excursion - it was a costly nightmare.

Any thoughts on whether the Explore Scuba is that much better than a snorkelling tour for what you get to see (depth of the reef etc.) and on private vs cruiseline booked, expecially given the one hour travel time? Much appreciated!

Archived