Celebrity vs. Carnival Valor-class

askabry

I'm considering taking a Carnival cruise ... at least in part because I can't afford Celebrity anymore. I'm willing to take a "hit" on cuisine ... but I'd rather not go at all than be disappointed.

So I'm wondering of those people that have sailed on both lines ... what is your approximation of both? As an aside ... I am indeed a foodie, but good honest food really could suffice.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Alex ...

First of all Carnival has really improved their food selections and quality over the years. Their lunch buffets are some of the best out there. They may surprise you.

As far as the Conquest(Valor, Glory) class ships. IMHO they are too crowded. Coming from Celebrity I think that you will be disappointed. I would suggest that you check out the Spirit class ships. Carnival has four of them and they are a much better design and do not have the crowded feel to them.

Thanks for the quick response ... I actually was very interested in the Spirit/Pride class. Unfortunately, they all either sail out of the west or run longer cruises ... in either case, beyond my price range.

The comments about being crowded are very, very telling to me. Although I can handle the jostle of others ok ... my wife really has spacial issues. I've always felt that Celebrity's ships are very open (other than trying to get into the theaters at night).

I've read elsewhere that the Valor class was a bit tight ... it goes a long way for us.

I have never sailed on Celebrity, but I just returned from the Valor. It is absolutely beautiful and elegant.

The food was delicious. I didn't feel the ship to be crowded especially during lunch at the buffet restaurant. They have a lot of variety of foods to choose from: deli, oriental, fish and chips, the hamburgers and hot dog grill, the barbecue, their daily buffet, the 24 hour pizza where they have pizza, calzonnes and salads, and ice cream and frozen yogurt machines. You will not be disappointed.

I have never sailed on Celebrity, but I just returned from the Valor. It is absolutely beautiful and elegant.

The food was delicious. I didn't feel the ship to be crowded especially during lunch at the buffet restaurant. They have a lot of variety of foods to choose from: deli, oriental, fish and chips, the hamburgers and hot dog grill, the barbecue, their daily buffet, the 24 hour pizza where they have pizza, calzonnes and salads, and ice cream and frozen yogurt machines. You will not be disappointed.

Thank you! ... do you mind my asking ... have you been on other cruiselines? Did you try the "steakhouse" that charges additional? How did you like their bbq (this is pretty important thing to me!) ... thanks ...

We have sailed 10 cruises (HAL, Celebrity, RCCL and Carnival) I would never crusie HAL again, Celebrity is fine but we really enjoy Carnival and RCCL. I think you will like the rooms, more space in our opinion. We also liked the food and tried the steakhouse which was fun.

Carnival has IMHO better service and friendlier staff. I think you should give it a try, besides its still a cruise :)

The bbq was delicious. Everyone was talking about how delicious it was. I've only cruised on Carnival. I went with my mother on the past 2 cruises and she noticed the difference and quality of food from a very small ship to the Valor.

You will also notice that Carnival has a very friendly atmosphere so much so that I went by myself last March.

The bbq was delicious. Everyone was talking about how delicious it was. I've only cruised on Carnival. I went with my mother on the past 2 cruises and she noticed the difference and quality of food from a very small ship to the Valor.

You will also notice that Carnival has a very friendly atmosphere so much so that I went by myself last March.

I posted the same thread on the Celebrity line, so I could see those with a different bias. I expected to hear a bit more sour lines over there ... but in fact, nearly every response has been as positive as yours have been here. And some of those people were very experienced Celebrity sailors ~ even moreso than myself (six).

If we can muster the cash, I think I'll go forward with Carnival. At $1649 (including all fees) for two (with air from Buffalo to FLL) for an early spring departure ... it's far far cheaper than anything I've ever gotten out of Celebrity. Right now, the cheapest I could handle out of Celebrity would have been nearly $500 more. (plus their gratuity fees are more.)

Thanks for your input! It helped me put aside my fears.

I have sailed on both Celebrity's Century and on Carnival (Fantasy and Spirit Classes) with a trip on the Valor coming up in less than three weeks. As a foodie, you will notice a difference between Carnival's cuisine and Celebrity's. (Celebrity's is better, IMO). That being said, Carnival does put out a very good food product with lots of variety. We ate at David's, the Pride's specialty restaurant, which was comparable to Celebrity cuisine overall.

We sailed on the Century and then the Pride on consecutive cruises. I kept commenting about how much better the food was on the Century. My husband and two tablemates just couldn't imagine what I was talking about. However, DH is a man who actually thinks iceburg lettuce is good eats for salad. :)

While I enjoyed the food and refined service on Celebrity, we keep going back to Carnival for the entertainment, pricing and overall good time that we have while onboard. I think you should try Carnival with an open mind and see if you can enjoy the product they offer.

I am thinking about booking the Liberty next year. Can you tell me was your

cruise sold out? How crowed was the ship? I am thinking about this ship for feb 06.

Thank you

Lynn

My cruise on the Glory was a full ship as most of Carnival's ship are. I just do not like the design of the Destiny/Conquest class. I have cruised on four of them. They are chopped up and have a crowded feel to them. I see that you are going on the Miracle in a couple of months. If you decide to try the Liberty I think you will see what I mean between the two.

Archived