Creation of fund for HAL staff

localady

I haven't been able to find a way to make a donation "online" to the Indonesian Red Cross. We would really like to direct our donation to Indonesia as we feel the "link" there having sailed on HAL with wonderful Indonesian staff.

Has anyone found a way to make such a directed donation to a reliable relief organization? If so, would you post the URL.

Continuing to hold all the affected region in our thoughts and prayers.

Here is the website for the Indonesian Red Cross:

http://www.palangmerah.org/default.asp?stat=eng

It is unclear to me though where on the site donations can be made. It appears that it might be that we donate to the International Red Cross and ear mark the money for the earthqauke and tsunami vistims. That website is:

www.icrc.org

In looking at the website there is a way to earmark the money specifically for Indonesia or any other country you choose to. Thanks again to everyone for their donations and support!

Here is the website for the Indonesian Red Cross:

http://www.palangmerah.org/default.asp?stat=eng

It is unclear to me though where on the site donations can be made. It appears that it might be that we donate to the International Red Cross and ear mark the money for the earthqauke and tsunami vistims. That website is:

www.icrc.org

In looking at the website there is a way to earmark the money specifically for Indonesia or any other country you choose to. Thanks again to everyone for their donations and support!

Here is the direct link for the Red Crescent Earthquake and Tsunami Victims.

http://www.ifrc.org/helpnow/donate/donate_response.asp

Been told by the higher ups on the ships that HAL will fly them home and back to the ship if they need to go because of what has happened in Asia. They were also allowed to make calls from the ship if concerned for peace of mind.

The Red Cross website is very slow even with broadband. Hopefully that means that many others are contributing to this very worthwhile cause.

I am glad to hear that HAL is taking care of those that take such good care of us.

Thanks to everyone who posted the website for me.

CruiseMark. Thanks for the Amazon link. I checked it out and if you sit there and click your refresh button you can see the donated amount going up at about $1000 every few minutes! They have over 3 mil donated to the Red Cross disaster relief right now. I made my donation and I plan to visit the Unicef site too. Their charge is always the welfare of children and women but in this kind of disaster they are responsible for providing fresh water...and we have all heard recently how critical that is right now. Marilyn

With so many memorable HAL cruises, we're all for assisting affected crew personnel - BUT - let's not go off half cocked on this! As someone said, there are 'schiesters' (sp???) out there - they are ready, willing and able to accept our donations but chances are high that the needy will not benefit. Let's all be sure to direct our generosity to REAL organizations - the Red Cross etc. etc.

I knew that the people who conscientiously consider leaving an auto tip in place so that they can then 'tip' extra would be generous. I did get a bit anxious when the discussion verged into indignation over a poorly worded statement naming (north) "Americans" stingy, but this thread has been very reassuring.

I know that Canada's government as well the governments of the U.S., U.K. and so many other first world nations are gearing up to help with money and resources, as they should. But bureaucracies take a long time to get organised. Our donations to the NGOs such as Red Cross, Red Crescent, etc. will give these agencies the resources to act immediately. They will be the buffer so that clean water, medications, locating survivors, uniting families, burials etc. can happen now. Then when our relief ministers receive the requests they can concentrate on the big jobs of rebuilding infrastructure. There is need for both.

And I am relieved that my donation, small as it seems is both helpful and necessary. I am fortunate to have enough income that I must pay taxes. I am even rich enough to take cruise vacations. And now I know that I can continue to meet the people of these devastated areas without feeling guilty because I have made some small sacrifice to help their loved ones. People who travel, people who cruise have healthy consciences and big hearts. :D

We've just made a donation to the above cause - via - http://www.redcross.ca - I still believe that a donation to a well recognized organization is the best way to go.

It's wonderful news that relatively few HAL personnel are affected by this disaster - for those who are - may God look after you and yours.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Searanger-[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Thanks for the heads up! I am glad to see that HAL has responded, and am touched to see that so many contacted HAL out of concern for the crew. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]It is also incredibly cheering in this world to watch the donations at Amazon.com for the Red Cross International fund climb higher and higher, who says $50 doesn't make a big deal![/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]We all know how blessed we are on this New Years Eve. It's nice to see that together our small donations may make a difference and will hopefully help people survive and rebuild.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#0000ff][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#0000ff]As Linda says, "thanks for listening".:cool: [/color][/size][/font]

Hi. Just wanted to let you know that we're thinking on the same lines: what are cruise lines doing to help crew members whose families may be impacted (and thanks to a Cruise Critic member for emailing us with the suggestion).

We put in a call to HAL's top p.r. executive yesterday afternoon and I hope that the fact that we got absolutely no response whatsoever (and I'm writing this 24 hours later) -- doesn't mean there's no one there working on a plan. Or better yet, already implementing one.

Searanger, we did also see the announcement published by Stein Kruse...alas it doesn't really say much. Just a vague mention of a donation and help for crew members to contact family (from the ship, alas, not helping those impacted get home).

We're planning to publish a news item -- hopefully Monday -- about whatever it is that cruise lines, not just HAL but Celebrity, Princess, etc., are actually doing -- so check in with us there. We're working also on contacting crew members we know -- and would love any input you care to share.

Thanks.

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor
Cruise Critic

[quote name='CruisecriticEditorialTeam']Hi. Just wanted to let you know that we're thinking on the same lines: what are cruise lines doing to help crew members whose families may be impacted (and thanks to a Cruise Critic member for emailing us with the suggestion).

We put in a call to HAL's top p.r. executive yesterday afternoon and I hope that the fact that we got absolutely no response whatsoever (and I'm writing this 24 hours later) -- doesn't mean there's no one there working on a plan. Or better yet, already implementing one.

Searanger, we did also see the announcement published by Stein Kruse...alas it doesn't really say much. Just a vague mention of a donation and help for crew members to contact family (from the ship, alas, not helping those impacted get home).

We're planning to publish a news item -- hopefully Monday -- about whatever it is that cruise lines, not just HAL but Celebrity, Princess, etc., are actually doing -- so check in with us there. We're working also on contacting crew members we know -- and would love any input you care to share.

Thanks.

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor
Cruise Critic[/QUOTE][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Carolyn-[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]On behalf of all of us, thanks for pursuing this. I think that actually hearing it from the crew members themselves will be helpful, as since my conversation with Ms. Bergman at HAL, the deaths in Sumatra alone have risen expotentially.:( [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]I know that there are many CC'ers who would step up to the plate on this one. Thanks to all at CC who realize that although this is not a "cruising" topic per say, that it is relevant and important to share the information here on the boards.[/color][/size][/font]

Carolyn and the team. Sending the crewmembers home immediately may be the worst thing to do. That's just more people that will have to be cared for. The countrys involved may have prohibited passenger traffic into the areas in favor of planes filled with supplies. There is no infrastructure for anyone coming in. Funerals are immediate by mass graves and creamation.
Right now communications are almost unheard of for people not involved with the recovery effort. I'm sure the cruiselines are trying their best to provide communications when available. I gave through the Red Cross yesterday.
That's for survival.

[quote name='CruisecriticEditorialTeam']

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor
Cruise Critic[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Black]I've been looking back at my various cruises. In each are pictures of my wait staff, stewards, even, the "yum yum" man (Kris ? I don't know where he is now that Noordam is gone). Thankfully, I hear that HAL is offering employee assistance in the form of counselling and even fares home if necessary. That is reassuring. But I'd like to somehow personally indicate my condolences to these people.

I know, it's doubtful that they'd remember me. I'm only a passenger. But I remember them because they gave a bit of themselves to me. Even though they must have had the same conversations every time a new complement of passengers boarded, they graciously answered questions about their homes, their families. their dreams. I heard about their coming weddings, their expected babies, their children's' schooling. They are in my photograph albums.

Carolyn, is there some way that we could sign a 'virtual card' that could be posted in the staff dining halls or newsletters of the ships? Or could some sort of compilation or excerpts of our letters here on CC be published in their news letters?

Yes, I've donated. Yes, I've urged my government to get involved. And, no I don't expect to communicate personally with any of the crew with whom I interacted. I know they need time and will have colleagues and employers to help them I'd just like to somehow write the equivalent to a letter to the editor in their newspaper. I don't know how to reach the appropriate people to find out if something like that is possible. Can any of you convey that to the cruise lines? Thank you.
[/COLOR]

I was on the Zuiderdam 12/23 sailing. As of 12/29, we were told that 3 cabin stewards had deaths in their families, and were being flown home on 12/30 at Holland America's expense. We were told that HAL does fly crew members home at company expense for emergencies. We were also told that HAL was paying for crew members to try to call home if the calls could even go through.

There was a box at the Front Office for collections to the Indonesian Red Cross.

I agree with those who are suggesting that we all pause for a day or two to permit time for a structure to be put in place.

Considering that no plan was developed to simply communicate a tsunami warning, it's hard to believe that a relief function with accountability can be arranged in just a week.

Relief money will continue to be most important in the months ahead, so I suggest we all wait just a bit and see what Carolyn develops in the next few days. That nway we can be sure that the money is being used to do good and not to line some charlatan's pockets. (We've seen far too much of that in recent years.):

[quote name='CruisecriticEditorialTeam']Hi. Just wanted to let you know that we're thinking on the same lines: what are cruise lines doing to help crew members whose families may be impacted (and thanks to a Cruise Critic member for emailing us with the suggestion).

Thanks.

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor
Cruise Critic[/QUOTE]

Some of you who read these boards will be embarking soon. You can take with you copies of the newspapers from your own cities, and printout some small portion of the good wishes expressed here. You can then find the appropriate crew reps on board to turn over to them our messages that we are concerned, that we have enquired about their welfare, that we have responded in every way we can think of.

This should be done carefully, going through supervisors so as to not burden individual crew with having to bare their pain, or try to respond to us. Most of us have experienced the death of a loved one. We know how vulnerable a grieving person is, how raw the psyche, how difficult receiving well meant comments are, so I'm not suggesting that this be done indescriminately to every waiter, steward etc you meet. Just that you seek out a chaplin or CD and give them some of this material. Their own crew reps will know how best to convey our condolences to the rest of the crew.

Archived