Creation of fund for HAL staff

localady

It seems more appropriate to donate directly to the Indonesian Red Cross and not to the American Red Cross. I am not completely certain how much of the funds will be approriately utilized (for what we are wishing) if given through the ARC. Obviously they will have admin. costs & we will not know the outcome. If given to the Indonesian Red Cross at least it will be there initially. Our Red Cross is problematic and not completely a charity. I do not wish to bash them, please understand, I have a bit of first hand knowledge.... there are business issues associated with the ARC. Their track record has been less than stellar in past disater relief, even in this country for our victims. I think the funds will do the most and quickest good if sent directly to the area of concern.

There are many good charities available. I choose the American Red Cross or Salvation Army because invariably they are the first on scene. Whether it be an apartment complex fire here in the US or areas devestated by cyclones.
In contributing via the Red Cross you can designate your money to go to the Tsunami Relief Fund. Like any of the larger charities, they do have some adminsitrative expenses and some permanent emplolyees. How else can an agency respond immediately and with money in a reserve fund? Their administative staff prepurchase the likely most needed items for disaster and have developed relationships with textile and apparel manufacturers, drug companys, makers of emergency shelter supplies, transportation companys, and the list goes on. When I was in the military there were a couple of times the Red Cross helped me personally. As with any large charity, business, government agency, etc., there will always be what is felt as inequities in a few cases.
Everyone should choose their own charity that they feel will be able to do the most with your contribution. The main thing is to give and make sure your charity of choice is an effective choice and not a scam.

Thanks to all for the information...good to know that HAL is taking care of these wonderful crew members who though we may only enjoy their friendship for a brief time as pax...the indelible memories are there. The mind numbing numbers keep climbing...we send our prayers and heartfelt condolences to all those affected. Hoping desperately that the monetary contributions can start to ease some of the physical suffering for all these people. Besides the Red Cross...I have sent checks to OXfam, CARE and UNICEF. I know these organizations will be sending aid in many forms. And if HAL does start a crew fund that we can contribute to...please let us know on these boards.
Thanks again for showing the spirit of caring and generosity.

Since reading the posts after mine (promoting the idea that we donate directly to the area in need), I see that I should have detailed a bit of my logic. Any organization will have admim. costs associated with the handling of relief. If the admin. costs are spent locally in the area of the disaster, the donation is benefiting them in 2 ways. The admin. costs go to pay thse locally involved with the donation.....particularly paying the wages of those living in the disaster stricken areas. This helps their economy....as opposed to the admin. costs of American charity organizations (American staff wages, expenses, etc) and the balance of the donation goes toward the local cause. The disaster areas need help on many levels and helping their economy with wages and employment (admin. costs ) is just another way to help. More of the donation goes to the people in need if we donate to the area with the disaster.

As I stated, I am not out to bash the ARC....they have been helpful to many. I do have firsthand experience with some of the business issues they are involved with (the selling of donated blood products to private industry) and have seen with my own eyes their "selective assistance" to victims of Hurricane Andrew in Homestead, Florida. In their defense, they did assist those that they "selected". The ARC is not my favorite charity....but again....I thought the object was to provide the most useful assistance to the disaster visctims and area (ecomony structure) of the recent Tsunami....not the economy of the US. Another way to think of it is "eliminate the middleman" when he is not necessary! Funds sent directly to the area of need provides the most help for the buck!

I have found no listing for an Indonsian Red Cross. Could they use the name
Red Crescent? Many Muslims States choose Red Crescent and that is not a slam.
Not speaking of any particular charity, but we have all heard of misuse and outright fraud and theft of government and private aid in recipient countrys and from the comfort of our homes in the US we have little way of knowing how reputable foreign charitys are. We've all read of some charitys benefiting Al Queda.
I feel that our ARC is accountable and a safe way of contriuting to this and many other tradegys. The IRC and Red Crescent do many good works.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Little Feet-[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]When I contacted HAL they told me to recommend we make donations to the Red Cross of Indonesia directly or to any of the other funds that are involved in the Tsunami relief agency.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#0000ff][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#0000ff]It's so touching to see the outpouring of private donations. My son's middle school collected $4,000 today for the victims. Although it doesn't seem like much, this came from 1000 kids, age 11-13. That is alot of lunch money!:cool: [/color][/size][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
I just recently joined cruisecritic and read this thread about helping the Tsunami victims. I have found one charity that I donate to wholeheartedly because that organization is staffed by volunteers and every penny collected is used for the betterment of the people who are most disadvantaged. Not one penny goes to administration. The organization is called Focus Humanitarian and the website is: [url="http://www.volunteersforprosperity.gov/busorg/profiles/focus-humanitarian-assistance.htm"]www.volunteersforprosperity.gov/busorg/profiles/focus-humanitarian-assistance.htm[/url]

I often donate to the Red Cross, but they have very high administrative costs, i believe and here I know that every cent goes to the needy. My cousin by marriage, who is a pharmacist, often volunteers for this organization, where he is sent to different parts of the world, but he is not paid a penny. He covers all his own costs.
Hopefully this info will help those who are looking to help. Take care,

Shami

Archived