Who Has Been In Really Bad Weather

yankeesrule

On a North Atlantic crossing on the very tiny Seabourn Pride (only 200 passengers and less than 10,000 ton) we had 40 to 50 ft seas. It got so bad that the windows on the front owners suite were broken and the captain had to turn the ship astern so the waves would hit the aft of the ship. We moved backward at 2 knots for more than a day.

On another crossing from Ft Lauderdale to London, we had force 10 winds on the Crystal Symphony with 35 ft seas.

25 foot swells = a normal day in many parts of the ocean. The South China Sea is rarely that calm. The Great Australian Bight is always at least 25 feet.

The Indian Ocean has 40 ft swells for months at a time.

I crossed the Indian Ocean several times on the original small Renaissance Ships. The ship was 6 decks tall (about 60 feet). On every crossing we had waves over 60 feet high going completely over us. The ship was like a submarine for 4 days.

On the Royal Viking Star off the coast of Brazil many years ago, we had a rogue wave hit us in a storm. It broke out all the windows in the observation lounge on Deck 10 (thats 100 feet up) and flooded the entire area.

On Crown Odyssey we had two hurricanes hit us in the Bay of Biscay in one week. Waves were 50 to 70 feet for several days. We nearly capsized several times.

Sorry, I don't pay attention to the size of the waves. We were tossed around pretty good on the old Independence in the channel between Kauai and Maui. Even the old time crew were getting sick that night, they said it was the worst night they have ever had. I swore after that I was never going on another cruise in my life. December 03, we had some pretty good storm activity come up on our way from Ensenada to LA, had to use the handrails to stay in bed overnight.

I think kitty9 should win.

I was on the Westerdam when the remnants of a typhoon from the Sea of Japan decided to visit. I wanted to DIE. I felt awful, holed up in my cabin vomiting and sobbing. They gave out saltines and apples in the lobby but I couldn't make it that far.

And it was lobster night.

Oh my goodness Katie, that is so awful! I have felt nauseous on a ship before, but nothing like you experienced!! I feel so bad for you. I hope you were able to feel better and enjoy at least some of that cruise...

Did you happen to be using any seasick remedies during that time, such as sea bands, bonine, patch, etc.?

Archived