Renting a car in Junuea

gridswaldtravlers

Well, of course the big question is, what do you want to do in Juneau? If you want to visit Mendenhall Glacier, that alone may be worth the rental price. I believe it is $7 per person each way for the shuttles that go to Mendenhall, which would have been $70 for our family of 5. For around $65 (plus another $15 for a late drop-off), we rented a car from Rent A Wreck and drove ourselves to the glacier visitors' area. Due to an excursion we had booked, time was short, but we did also manage to drive to St Therese chapel, which is a peaceful place to look around regardless of your religious leanings. Like you, we had debated renting a car, but it was worth it because of the pretty low price (in Alaska excursion terms) for what we got to do.

We rented a car in Juneau a couple weeks ago. There were four of us and it cost us approximately $60 for the day. That morning, after picking up the car, we went to the Alaskan Brewery (we had to kill time at Fred Meyer and Walmart since the brewery didn't open until 11am), we then went back to the boat to pick up the boys (age 17). We went to the Russian Orthodox church to look around and then went to Mendenhall. We tried to find the shrine of St. Teresa but our GPS didn't cooperate with us so we got frustrated, returned the car and ended up back at the boat by 4pm. I was dropped off in town to do a little shopping.

We've been to Juneau a couple times and I've done the city bus to Mendenhall. I liked having a car and for $60, having a little freedom to do as I pleased rather than being herded somewhere, I was happy I rented the car.

Renting a car in Juneau is definitely the cheapest way for a family to see the sights. However, the rental car office is a good way from downtown (20-30 min.) so a good bit of your time would be spent waiting for them to pick you up at the ship and driving them back to the office. Then you have to do that in reverse when you return the car. That takes at least 1 1/2 hours. When we returned the car we had to wait about 20-30 minutes for someone to take us back to the ship. Of course, you do have the option of just dropping the car off in the parking garage in town for an additional fee.

We tried to find the shrine of St. Teresa but our GPS didn't cooperate with us so we got frustrated, returned the car and ended up back at the boat by 4pm.

I'm sorry, I don't mean my comments as a rag on you specifically, but what has come of our society that we're so reliant on technology that a simple thing like stopping the car and asking someone how to find the Shrine doesn't occur to anyone anymore? There's basically ONE road in Juneau; no one should ever feel intimidated about getting lost here.

Anyway. I'll get off my soap box.

To the OP, I don't think five hours is enough time to rent a car. As said, assuming you're the first person off the ship, it's still an hour round trip to fetch and return the car, with paperwork. With only five hours--this is another of my rags; why do folks choose cruises with such short port times--I'd say take the shuttle to the glacier and do some hiking--once you get away from the visitors center, you'd be surprised how all the crowds melt away.

When we rented the car, the Rent A Wreck people gave us a map and sheet with directions to common destinations. Maybe they don't always do that? Anyway, that's what we used to find the Shrine of St Therese. (I had printed out directions at home but left them on the ship.)

We found the Shrine but the sign is tiny and easy to miss. We drove past it and had to turn around.

I agree, renting a car when you only have 5 hours in port would leave you with very little touring time. I'd take the shuttle to Mendenhall. You could also do the Mt. Roberts Tram if the weather is clear, although it is pretty expensive.

Thanks guys for all the great thoughts. We are a family of 5 and I was thinking the cost of just going to Mendenhall, would be worth it. since it is cheap enough. And I am sorry it's 7 hours not 5. But any how I think I have made my mind to rent a car.We also like to go around on our own.

Thanks again

Archived