HELP! Excursion Advice Needed

Disney Girl 202

We are cruising with our 2 kids 13 and 10, in September. We are on a budget and felt the only real excursion we could afford was whale watching with FISHES in Icy Strait Point. We have not saved a bit more money and think we can do one more excursion. I am interested in the wildlife tour in Sitka with Jim Seeland (and he does have space), but my husband thinks it is too much of the same thing and would like to go ziplining in Juneau (seems to be cheaper there). It is so hard to decide when we have never done any of it. The kids are also torn, so they are not really helping. We do have a car rented in Juneau to go to Mendenhall, etc. Other ports we primarily have hikes, city walking tours, etc. planned (i.e. mostly free). Thanks for the huge help you have all been on this board.

If I could only have one excursion whale watching at ISP would definitely be the one that I would have chosen too! It's great that you can now add another. I wish we had known about Jim Seeland's tours when we visited Sitka last month. If we had we would have explored the option of the wildlife tour combined with rock fishing. Based on the description on his website the wildlife tour seems to be a different focus than a typical whale watch, even though both are on the water. FISHES will bring you to Pt. Adolphus where the humpback feeding grounds are located. The wildlife tour will move about the harbour seeking out otters, eagles, and other local wildlife habitats. Although riding a zipline is exciting, it's also a much shorter experience than having 2-3 hours on the water soaking in gorgeous scenery that will impress even the pre-teens. If your husband really doesn't want to be on the water then you may want to also explore gold panning in Juneau. Although a bit touristy we found it to be interesting and fun. We had the gold flakes we found put into a locket for our daughter. She loves wearing it and explaining where the gold came from.

If I could only have one excursion whale watching at ISP would definitely be the one that I would have chosen too! It's great that you can now add another. I wish we had known about Jim Seeland's tours when we visited Sitka last month. If we had we would have explored the option of the wildlife tour combined with rock fishing. Based on the description on his website the wildlife tour seems to be a different focus than a typical whale watch, even though both are on the water. FISHES will bring you to Pt. Adolphus where the humpback feeding grounds are located. The wildlife tour will move about the harbour seeking out otters, eagles, and other local wildlife habitats. Although riding a zipline is exciting, it's also a much shorter experience than having 2-3 hours on the water soaking in gorgeous scenery that will impress even the pre-teens. If your husband really doesn't want to be on the water then you may want to also explore gold panning in Juneau. Although a bit touristy we found it to be interesting and fun. We had the gold flakes we found put into a locket for our daughter. She loves wearing it and explaining where the gold came from.

This was exactly the advice I was looking for. Thanks so much. My husband is not opposed to being on the water, he just thought it would be nice to try something different - because he thought they are 2 of the same - but I agree that they are different.

As for the advice about the coupon books, I have looked into them (I love coupon books), but there just doesnt seem to be enough that we will use to even cover the cost. Thanks so much for the idea, though. I think they would be great for a lot of people.

This was exactly the advice I was looking for. Thanks so much. My husband is not opposed to being on the water, he just thought it would be nice to try something different - because he thought they are 2 of the same - but I agree that they are different.

As for the advice about the coupon books, I have looked into them (I love coupon books), but there just doesnt seem to be enough that we will use to even cover the cost. Thanks so much for the idea, though. I think they would be great for a lot of people.

Hi Disney Girl...

We just got back from our cruise...I have an Alaskan Tourbook that has lots of coupons still left in it. Drop me a note...I'll see if I can get it to you before you leave. Not sure what coupons you might be interested in.

On a side note...if you have never zip lined...your kids will love it...We have zip lined in Juneau and did the one in Icy Straight Point this last cruise...it was amazing!

Have a great cruise either way! Alaska is the best!

We just went on a tour with Jim, and he was great. He will focus the tour on whatever you would like. The whales are not as active as in Juneau, though they may be more so in September. My DW and I are birders, so we spent a lot of time at St. Lazaria Island, looking at birds, including nesting puffins. My nephew wanted to fish, so we did that too. We also saw a pod of sea otters up close, as well as sea lions. This would probably be different than what you would get in Icy Straight, which will be mainly whales and perhaps some dolphins/porpoises. Jim is very personable and knowledgeable, and we had a great time.

Hi Disney Girl...

We just got back from our cruise...I have an Alaskan Tourbook that has lots of coupons still left in it. Drop me a note...I'll see if I can get it to you before you leave. Not sure what coupons you might be interested in.

On a side note...if you have never zip lined...your kids will love it...We have zip lined in Juneau and did the one in Icy Straight Point this last cruise...it was amazing!

Have a great cruise either way! Alaska is the best!

Coconet,

Thank you so much for the offer of the coupon book. I would love to receive it. Looking at the list quickly, the tramway would definately be of interest to us. I'm not sure what else, or if we would try to add an excursion if we had the coupons. Are there any zipline coupons. I tried and tried to send you a private message - but just could not figure out how, but I would be happy to send the address privately.

As well, I was wondering which zipline you used in JuneauÉ We are looking at the Alaska zip, and am wondering if it is as good as the other one in Juneau. Thanks again.

Josie

Coconet,

Thank you so much for the offer of the coupon book. I would love to receive it. Looking at the list quickly, the tramway would definately be of interest to us. I'm not sure what else, or if we would try to add an excursion if we had the coupons. Are there any zipline coupons. I tried and tried to send you a private message - but just could not figure out how, but I would be happy to send the address privately.

As well, I was wondering which zipline you used in JuneauÉ We are looking at the Alaska zip, and am wondering if it is as good as the other one in Juneau. Thanks again.

Josie

Hi Josie,

My email address is Kittywilson@cox.net

Email me and I will get this book to you ASAP! The tram coupon is still in there but there are no coupons for zip lines. The one thing we did last year that there is a coupon for was the Bering Sea Crab tour out of Ketchikan...that was GREAT!

Drop me a note and I will try and answer any questions you have...we went last year and this year and traveled with 2 sons...12 and 15 years old. You are going to have a great time!

Chat soon!

Kathy

We are cruising with our 2 kids 13 and 10, in September. We are on a budget and felt the only real excursion we could afford was whale watching with FISHES in Icy Strait Point. We have not saved a bit more money and think we can do one more excursion. I am interested in the wildlife tour in Sitka with Jim Seeland (and he does have space), but my husband thinks it is too much of the same thing and would like to go ziplining in Juneau (seems to be cheaper there). It is so hard to decide when we have never done any of it. The kids are also torn, so they are not really helping. We do have a car rented in Juneau to go to Mendenhall, etc. Other ports we primarily have hikes, city walking tours, etc. planned (i.e. mostly free). Thanks for the huge help you have all been on this board.

Personally we sometimes do different activities in a particular port. This trip while in Ketchikan, my wife went on a float plane to Misty Fjords while I spent time hiking and doing some underwater photography. With another flight planned later in our trip and having done Misty Fjords a couple of years prior to this trip with the same company I said I've been there done that, however the weather was a lot better for her tour this year with far better viewing than we had in 2007. We each did what we wanted then she got to say "I told you so" when we were finished.

We did a glacier flight on a float plane while in Homer at the end of our cruise and I thought this flight would be enough, but I'll admit I should have gone with her on the Seawind Aviation Misty Fjords flight.

While in Homer (and often on the cruise) my wife went shopping a lot and I seldom entered a store. I did a hike at almost every stop and often while in Homer the following week, she seldom walked farther than from the car to a shop wondering what the heck I see in a strenuous hike. Also I went fishing often and she never did, about the only boat under 500 feet she will enjoy is a dive boat :cool:. We do most things together but don't let some interest keep either of us from enjoying the trip we want.

Archived