Cruising at Christmas

shelmo

Hi this is my first post and first cruise. We will be on FOS over the christmas period, has anyone cruised at christmas time and if so can you let us know what to expect ie is there christmas dinner, decorations, special events ect/ I will be traveling with an 80,21,18 and 12 year old. Thanks

Hi this is my first post and first cruise. We will be on FOS over the christmas period, has anyone cruised at christmas time and if so can you let us know what to expect ie is there christmas dinner, decorations, special events ect/ I will be traveling with an 80,21,18 and 12 year old. Thanks

The ship will be decorated from thanksgiving, end of november, onward, thru new years. I think from memory we had a turkey dinner on christmas eve.

On grandeur a few years ago, on christmas morning, the captain came on the pa, saying that some passengers may have noticed that the ship had slowed down, this was because they had seen a unidentified blip on the radar, they were hoping it might be santa, so had shut one engine down so he could use the funnel as a chimeny, sure enough about 10 mins later, Santa was on the pool deck handing out gifts to the children, at age 12 you child is probably not still a believer, but if he/she is it's a nice experience for the kids

have been on 7 cruises with royal caribbean and 5 of them were over christmas. the ships are beautifully decorated......the feeling on the ship is extremely festive. on christmas eve the entertainment staff sings christmas caroles on the promenade:)

there are religious services and on christmas day..."santa" gives out gifts to all the kids.

plus let's not forget the best part.....you'll be cruising and going to gorgeous places and it will be hot;)

oh and welcome to cruise critic and the very addictive world of cruising:D

on another note...have you found your "roll call"? this is a place on these boards where you can chat with people who are on your cruise. you can get to know them and ask any question you have and by chatting with them it makes the time fly

welcome to CC

we traveled last year and it was wonderful..very festive, many special events

where are you leaving from, what ship? do seek out the roll call and pre-meet some friends that will be on the ship with you.

enjoy

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year to cruise!

Christmas Trees beautifully decorated on every corner. :-)

Another neat thing is you will be visiting different Islands and seeing how THEY celebrate the holidays!

I remember a beautiful Christmas Show in the Theater... they sang White Christmas and artifical snow was falling.

That was a LONG TIME AGO....... you'll be on the Freedom of the Seas.... and I'm SURE they will do the Holiday in a Grand way.

Don't forget.... The Crew are away from thier families and will be sharing the Holiday with you... trying to make it your best vacation ever!

So, Welcome to Cruise Critic and Bon Voyage!

We did 2 Holiday cruises: HAL & RCCL.

RCCL did a better job of Santa to the kids. Both ships were well decorated and had church services, group carolling, etc. It was great not to have to cook & clean. When we got home there was no big clean up.

HAL had the crew do songs and customs from their country which was touching. The children put their shoes and notes to Santa in the hallway outside/on their cabin door. Coins and candy were placed in shoes.

I took our Christmas stockings and cling decorations for mirrors & windows, and picked up small presents for stockings. One person I met put wrapping paper, a small artificial tree with lights, small gifts in a separate suitcase. Don't wrap presents. Airport will screen. Some folks decorated their doors and others in the promenade windows had lights. Quite festive.

Enjoy.

Christmas was wonderful on the Mariner. Lots of Christmas spirit throughout the ship. Midnight Mass, caroling on the promenade, Santa visited... We decorated our doors with Christmas decorations. We did stocking stuffers. Best part - no major shopping or cooking or cleaning up.

We went on Freedom of the Seas for Christmas a few years ago. They had a huge tree, and some other holiday decorations. On xmas day, "Santa" came out by launch to the ship to give out presents to the kids. RCL also brought lots of toys, and did a xmas lunch at Labadee for the local workers and their families, distributing the toys, and giving all the families a meal.

we were also on the mariner last christmas and even the teens got a gift. Daughter 16 still wanted to line up with all the other little kids to get her gift and sit with santa and have a photo taken. They all got nice gifts too.

The teens could just pick up their gift from the teen club if they wanted.

I love the carolling in the promenade and at dinner when all the waiters sang together.

They had a huge tree which made for lovely photos as it was formal night.

Everyone was in a very happy jouvial mood all cruise.

A different but very lovely christmas day on St Maartin.

Thanks everyone really looking forward to it.

One more question will the christmas dinner be on christmas eve which falls a formal night or actually christmas day as we plan to book chops or portofino for one or the other

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm travelling with my family over Xmas with Royal Caribbean as it is my 30th on Christmas day I wanted to do something special. I'm hoping that the cruise will be out of this world and will be home from home especially with the decorations and the ususal christmas dinner where everyone stuffs themselves silly! I am soooo looking forward to it, it has been a long time coming as I booked it a year ago July just gone!! :p

Archived