Onboard scuba certification

joln83

Royal Caribbean does, not that I'd go that route.

I know you didn't ask for opinions, but because this is the internet, you'll get one anyway.

What I would do is a Referral. Do the classwork and pool dives with a local dive shop, then do the 4 open water checkout dives at two of the ports of call. You can make arrangements with local dive operators for the checkout dives.

I have seen some cruise lines offer Discover Scuba type dives. This will get you underwater with some gear. But I have to agree with Bruce. Do you open water class before taking your trip. I would go one step further and take your open water tests and get your C-card before stepping onboard...and maybe even get in a couple local dives to get comfortable underwater and practice buoyancy control. This way when you dive warm water, you can enjoy what's around you instead of fiddling or worrying about your gear and crashing into a reef.

I have to disagree with you. I used to be a lead diver with Princess (until they cancelled the program)and have taught many divers on the ship. I like to teach my own students from beginning to end. I have had referral students and they were a nightmare!! I basically had to re-teach them everything in the pool. With my own students, I know what their weaknesses and strengths are.

But I have to be honest, the course will eat up most of your cruise and you will be tired by the end of the week.

Whatever your choice, have fun and keep learning.

Beemerrider:

How were you able to do the open water dives at the ports?

Did the students have to pay additional referral fees at a local dive shop at the port for you to instruct those dives?

I heard that in Mexico, you can be arrested for signing off on a dive if you don't have a work permit.

We did the open water dives while in port. we joined the scuba excursions. The certifieds went one way, my students and I went the other. I have never heard of that about mexico since I did do some certifications there, not unless the laws have recently changed.

Archived