Snuba in Cabo, PV, Maz, Ixtapa, or Manzanillo?

camilia83

We're sailing in January and looking for a snuba trip. I've only been able to find one port (Cabo San Lucas) that offers snuba. Has anyone done snuba in any of the other four ports? I am looking at other locations because the last snuba trip my family took, my mother's exercise-related asthma acted up when she had to work too hard against the currents in Honduras. I know that Cabo's current can be strong, as we've been there before, and am hoping to find a good location so that she can really enjoy the excursion. If anyone knows what the conditions are like in January in Cabo, I'd like to know, or if anyone's done snuba elsewhere, the info would be much appreciated.

We're sailing in January and looking for a snuba trip. I've only been able to find one port (Cabo San Lucas) that offers snuba. Has anyone done snuba in any of the other four ports? I am looking at other locations because the last snuba trip my family took, my mother's exercise-related asthma acted up when she had to work too hard against the currents in Honduras. I know that Cabo's current can be strong, as we've been there before, and am hoping to find a good location so that she can really enjoy the excursion. If anyone knows what the conditions are like in January in Cabo, I'd like to know, or if anyone's done snuba elsewhere, the info would be much appreciated.

Isn't Snuba is an awesome tour!? Very safe, easy and loads of fun. Although there are many places to do Snuba in the Caribbean, Cabo is the only port on the Western side of Mexico that offers Snuba and Sea Trek. But the currents in the bay where they do it are minimal at most. It is off a platform in a sheltered cove in the bay that has a large buoyed area so no boat traffic is there. There is so much to see there too. The depth there is a max of 20ft. I have done it a couple of times with them. One of the questions on the medical questionnaire is about asthma and if your mom is inhaler dependent or uses an inhaler heavily, this is not the tour for her. The people who operator that tour will not let her do the tour if she is...one of my friends has same issue and she was not allowed to do it. Purely a safety reason! The atmospheric pressure when you are under water increases adrenalin and thus can increase any symptoms she might have. Standard PADI diving medical restrictions are followed on both Sea Trek and Snuba. I have meet both inventors of the Sea Trek and Snuba many times...they also built the Semi-Sub here too come to think of it! Great guys from the US with about a million years of diving experience between them.

Thanks for your reply. My mom is definitely not inhaler dependant, and hasn't used hers since she was young. Her first trip doing snuba she was fine, but her second trip I think their guide (a young man in Honduras) took them into an area where the current was a little too strong. I'm glad to hear that Cabo is a good spot and that the dive area is in a bay. She will be very glad to hear that she will most likely be fine. The adrenaline change due to depth makes a lot of sense, and I will mention to her that depth will make a difference. THanks for the info!!

Hi - This excursion sounded good to me too, but I was wondering if it can be booked outside the cruise ship with a safe company?

Thanks,

Deedee

Well, as I mentioned, there is only one company on the entire westcoast side of Mexico that does Snuba and they are in Cabo. I do know that they will not book guests coming on a cruiseship outside of the ship. Meaning, the spaces for that tour are reserved for the ship. This is the way all 3 of companies that operate tours in Cabo are required by the cruiselines to conduct business. It is illegal for the companies to book tours from ship passengers even if there were openings...their contracts with the cruiselines can be cancelled if they do book guests. Now, I also know that there are 3rd party sites online that say they can book tours for you but that is incorrect. They will "take" the reservation or even a deposit but they are in no way affiliated with the companies that actuall do the tours.

Thanks Caro

What all do you see down there? Would you recommend it if you only had a short time in port, or is it better to do something else in Cabo?

Deedee

Of course it all depends on the weather, tides, etc but the vast majority of the time the visibility is awesome. Trumpet fish, pufferes, box fish, alot of juvenile species of fish, red starfish, sea horses, a couple types of eels hiding in the rocks, octopus also hiding, an occasional sea lion swimming by, sergent majors, morrish idols, grunts, little cute tropicals, huge schools of mackrel, angels, little garden eels early in the day, occasional parrotfish, sunken ship wreck, ... The tour is about 2 - 2.5 hours so time is really not an issue. I love the water whether in it or on it...but depends on what you like!

Archived