What's there to do in San Juan?

cimarrongirl

Cruising eastern carribean on Celebrity Solstice next May and were wondering what shore excursion to take, we'll have three grandkids with us. The kids ages are 16,14,10 IYHO what would be the most interesting and fun things to do?

Also where do you stay in Ft. Lauderdale?

My son was 10 when we stopped in San Juan. We walked from the port up to the Fort, San Cristobal, and explored it for a little while, then back down into the city to shop and eat. It was a nice, inexpensive port day, not having to book an excursion. There's another fort on the other side of the city as well, Fort Morro, I think(?) that you could taxi to. Or perhaps walk, but it seemed like a long hike.

There is a rainforest in Puerto Rico, but it's further away from the city, and I think you have to watch the timing on that.

A very helpful CC member referred me to this site for San Juan ideas with my kids.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/23-things-to-do-with-kids-within-1-hour-of-san-juan/

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to make it a link so you'll have to copy and paste in your browser, but it's worth the info.

Hey, I did it right! Yippee! I have to go pat myself on the back now. tee hee hee.

El Morro Castle is very interesting... San Cristobal is smaller

There's always a horse and carriage ride through old San Juan.

Personally, I enjoy window shopping at The Butterfly People... it's a shop that mounts butterflies in acrylic cases. Met the owner/artist the one time... nice guy.

McDonald's in Puerto Rico fries their apple pies... just like in the old days... before McDs in the US started baking them for health reasons.

Love those fried apple pies.

Always wanted to do a Segway tour... but my youngest is 6... so it will be a few years before we do that.

San Juan will have the Rain Forest tours and Canopy rides... that sounds like fun... just be aware that the rain forest is a ride from San Juan... maybe a 1/2 hour to an hour away or so...

I also suggest (1) the fort and old town, and/or (2) rain forest. It will depend on how much time you have. If you have a long time at San Juan, then you can hire a car and go to the rain forest in the morning, and then do the fort and old town in the afternoon and evening. If your port time is not long enough, then you will have to pick one. The fort and old town is more about culture, history and shopping, and the rain forest is about nature, hiking and waterfall.

Archived