Train To Berlin??-Rotterdam Aug 23 Sail

misskef

As a second time cruiser (QE2 only) I've enjoyed all your posts and tips--they're a huge help.

My husband and I (late 30s) have elected to take the Rotterdam 12 night Scandinavian cruise leaving 8/23. For background, we're very active adventure travelers (Asia, Africa, Latin America, South America) and are using the ship as a floating hotel as it's way more economical/easier than doing flights and hotels in each city. So for us it's more about the ports than the ship (no offense intended to the cruisers!!)

We have elected not to do the ship's shore excursion in Warmunde (or really any of the ports) and want to take the train to Berlin and want to book it in advance. This brings a few questions to mind I was hoping someone could answer:

1. How far is the port to the train station? How long does it take and what's the best way to get there? Any advice on the logistics?

2. What is the best station to go into in central berlin (train site gives lots of options)?

3. Once in Berlin, any off beat things we should do/not do?

Any other non conventional/off-beat ideas for the port cities (Tallin, Oslo, Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Arhus) on this cruise since it's not mentioned alot on this board are welcome.

Thank you in advance!

I see you have gone to the source and asked HeinBloed on the Northern Europe board-he is an amazing asset and will answer in detail.

The train station in port is a 5-minute walk from the pier, if you dawdle.

DW and I took a ship's excursion for pure logistical reasons; would not do so again-would do as you are proposing.

Welcome to the board. Rotterdam is a beautiful ship. We will be aboard her in October.

Cheers

Mark

I can't answer your question with specifics, but I think you'll find Berlin one of the most exciting cities in Europe right now. It's transformation from the mid 1980's to what it is today is quite remarkable.

We always look forward to going back and try to make it every three or four years. It never disappoints.

Sorry, I'm new to these boards and didn't realize there was an excursion board. HeinBloed is AMAZING. We booked our trip on a direct high speed train to central station last night. Could not be more excited to see the transformation of such a historic city.

Thank you (and other posters) for posting all this information. In a few hours I was able to answer my questions!

Archived