Beware of the ship sailing when last names of travelers do not match!!!

Hey all! First of all original birth certificates have always been the case. I have always cruised on a closed loop, originating in us and ending in us and have always had to have my original. I think what happened here is that the child's Passport did not match the Mother's name. Therefore they wanted to make a connection between the mother and the child, hence the birth certificate. I am very sorry this happened to you, but you must try and understand, where they are coming from. Children are kidnapped all the time, and in my mind this would be a way to prove who the child was and that he/she belonged with the group of people.

Hey all! First of all original birth certificates have always been the case. I have always cruised on a closed loop, originating in us and ending in us and have always had to have my original. I think what happened here is that the child's Passport did not match the Mother's name. Therefore they wanted to make a connection between the mother and the child, hence the birth certificate. I am very sorry this happened to you, but you must try and understand, where they are coming from. Children are kidnapped all the time, and in my mind this would be a way to prove who the child was and that he/she belonged with the group of people.

I think the intent is admirable, but in practise they enforce it erratically..

I cruise with my grandchildren... their parents do not cruise with us.

My name is different to theirs. We have their passports, never take birth certificates. Their place of birth is on the passport.

I have never been asked for proof of my relationship to them. How is that different?

Either they want absolute proof of who is taking minors abroad or they don't.

I did have all of those docs and always do. What I did not have this 1 time was her birth certificate. Never was requested in the past now that all carry passports. So I just left behind.

WOW! :eek: So wait....

You had your daughter's passport AND a letter from the father saying you could take her out of the country (or court papers showing you have full custody)

And they STILL wanted a birth certificate? Really????? :eek:

If that's the case, no wonder you are so upset.

I've always been told it's either/or for the birth certificate/passport...never both (on closed loop cruises).

According to their own policies its either/or.

If you had the passport AND the letter, then they owe you more than an apology.

RC and their Reps need to get on the SAME PAGE. Their contract states one thing, the Reps say another, and the Agents working the Pier try to enforce Their OWN REQUIREMENTS!

This is taken from their RC website!

OP was refused to board without a Cetificate of birth!

I was refused to board with Legal certified guardianship papers.

This is what RC website states!

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

My Legal Guardianship paper is certified by the Courthouse with the childs name on it and My name on it!

Had a passport for the child ( but was required to have a signed notoraized paper from a parent! I tried to explain I am the Guardian, here is the Proof, but the Agent, Supervisor, and whoever else was involved still refused boarding!

Don't take any chances. TAKE EVERYTHING!!!!!!! The rules are different from no matter who you ask!

Archived