On-Board Certification Last Cruise

OregonNative

My husband did the RCCL on-board SCUBA certification last summer (2008). He did two dives with RCCL at that time, and got a certification card. That will be enough to do the SCUBA excursion on our cruise to Bermuda, right? Even though he has only done two dives? Thanks for helping.

I doubt he would qualify for the ship's tours as most will require an Open Water certification.It sounds like your Husband has the PADI Scuba Diver certification which I believe would limit him to 40 feet and require him to dive with an instructor.This is going to sound dumb comming from a "nut" who did three Resort courses before he got certified,but the PADI Scuba Diver rating is basically worthless---you can't buy gear, get air fills, or dive without an instructor.My advice is get the "real thing" an Open Water Certification and then keep learning and taking classes---Good Divers are Always Learning.

The good news for your Hubby is Bermuda has some very nice shallow wrecks to dive---nice easy diving for beginners.Myabe he could call some individual dive shops and work something out. I dove with Fanta Sea out of Hamilton for 3 days on our cruise several years ago.They run a nice operation.Best advice would be for him to somehow complete his full Open Water certification before the cruise.Tell him to check with some local dive shops and ask what it would require.I do know most Open Water classes require at least 4 open water dives for certification.

Archived