Where on earth do you find petite formal dresses?

tamsam07

I just had to post. Dh and I went to Kohl's looking for casual clothes. And there on the 50% rack were 2 "little black dresses"--one 3/4 sleeves, the other sleeveless. With a sr discount, I pd $39 ea!!! And the kicker is, they make me look as though I have cleavage ... something I thought only happened with engorgement following childbirth! Even though I only needed one dress, I bought them both. When am I going to find that kind of deal again?

The "little black dress" will be acceptable for formal night even though they're not very formal, but they're made of a knit fabric that will pack great and considering that they're going to be on a cross-country trip which will take more than 6 wks even before boarding ship, packing is a real consideration.

And then I found a pair of 1 1/2" heel clear plastic pumps that will work with any color outfit (at 60% off) so I no longer have to wonder how I'm going to pack dressy shoes for both black and peach dresses. Dh said, "They don't look very comfortable." I replied, "They're not supposed to be comfortable; they're supposed to be sexy." [Men ... ya gotta wonder. <g>]

Just think: if I'd found more bargains like those, we could have pd for the cruise with the $$$ I saved. <vbg>

M/R

I feel tall compared to a lot of you (and I'm only 5'4"). Thanks for making me feel good about myself :)

Another place to look is bridal shops. Nope, don't buy a wedding dress - check the bridesmaid dresses. Some stores also carry "mother of the bride" dresses. There tends to be a huge variety of styles, colors, and sizes; lots for short people (along with regulars/talls) and also for a variety of body types from thin to average to plus. I've seen clearance rack dresses as low as $40. If something doesn't fit perfectly, they can alter it for you if you don't have a favorite tailor already. If you can, go on a weekday during the day to avoid the hordes of brides-to-be and their mothers/aunts/sisters/cousins/friends. It can be crazy on a Saturday afternoon!

There are a lot of bridesmaid dresses I'd never be caught dead in, but nowadays there are actually a lot of flattering styles as well...without the big bows in back :eek:

On a different note, I found a ton of cocktail dresses at Sears on clearance. I never shop there but had to stop in to buy a tire gauge and walked by the dresses on my way to the auto department...I was pleasantly surprised and walked out with two brand new dresses that look and fit great!

I've had very good luck with Chadwicks.com. Try them also.

I have a love/hate relationship with Chadwick's. Their sizing and quality are highly inconsistent. I have gotten some great, well-fitting garments from them but I have also had orders where I have sent everything back because of poor quality, design or fit. (Once I received a dress that I LOVED so I ordered it - in the same size- in a different color, only to find that the new one was WAY too small. This has happened, though not as drastically, with T-Shirts and slacks.)

But I keep ordering from them because the deals are so good and the returns so easy.

Another place to look is bridal shops. Nope, don't buy a wedding dress - check the bridesmaid dresses. Some stores also carry "mother of the bride" dresses. There tends to be a huge variety of styles, colors, and sizes; lots for short people (along with regulars/talls) and also for a variety of body types from thin to average to plus. I've seen clearance rack dresses as low as $40. If something doesn't fit perfectly, they can alter it for you if you don't have a favorite tailor already.

In my expereince (as a bride, bridesmaid, and MOB) bridal shops do NOT have much for the petite figure. When I've has to use a bridal shop. I have never been able to order a dress in petite (option not available) and have always had to have expensive alterations (Not just a hem - Extensive alterations which involved almost remaking the garment - removing the shirt at the waist to make the bodice shorter, removing the sleeves and/or zipper to adjust shoulders, removing and then replacing trim after hemming etc) IF one can fit "off the rack", there may be good deals there, but I've never been able to find anything (Alterations are the "bread and butter" of these shops, so is it any wonder?:):()

Chadwick.com does have some nice gowns/cocktail dresses in petites (and they can accomodate bridal party orders) and I have had some luck with Dillard's (The have nice evening separates in petites, which I opted for for my MOB ensemble)

Yes, it's me again. Remember I told you above that my dresses actually give me something resembling cleavage? Obviously a low neckline, right? I knew I had to wear a necklace but thought I might have something that would work.

Then today I was walking in our local mall when I happened past one of those stores that cater primarily to teens. On the form in the window there was a necklace that looked ideal for my dress so I went inside. You wanna guess how much the necklace was? (Remember the dress was $39.) $3.80. No, that's not a typo. $3.80!! In case you're thinking it must look really really cheap, it doesn't. So my necklace cost less than 10% of the dress. I'm still amazed.

This is not the first time I've scored a really nice looking necklace from a teen shop. My other necklace cost $6, and I've gotten loads of compliments on it.

So if you're looking for some stylish--and inexpensive!--jewelry, check out the teen stores.

M/R

Depending upon your area, if you are close to a big city, there are some nice re-sale shops around that I have found fantastic clothes for petites. I'm 5' 1/2. Even resale bridal places. I have found super prom dresses for pennies (name brands) and they were already altered. Good luck

I am having a heck of a time finding a nice variety of petite formal dresses. I'm only 5' so this is a major task. I have checked all the big stores. Yes they have some but they are very boring and mostly all black.

Do any of you know of any online stores that I might not know about? Can y'all help a short gal out?

Also, to those of you who have ordered gowns online, have you been lucky with how they fit? The sights give only one chart size and measurements for all the gowns. But we ladies know each one fits differently. I'm scared I'm going to spend all this money and have something that is so off sized and can't be altered.

I have the same problem! I'm 5' and wear a size 2P. For our recent cruise, I purchased this dress, from Chadwick's. Sorry, but I don't know how to put the image directly in the post!

http://www.chadwicks.com/clothing/Little-Red-Dress.aspx?PfId=181763&DeptId=8219&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

I absolutely loved the dress and got tons of compliments on it. Their site also has lots of other formal dresses.

I have the same problem! I'm 5' and wear a size 2P. For our recent cruise, I purchased this dress, from Chadwick's. Sorry, but I don't know how to put the image directly in the post!

http://www.chadwicks.com/clothing/Little-Red-Dress.aspx?PfId=181763&DeptId=8219&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

I absolutely loved the dress and got tons of compliments on it. Their site also has lots of other formal dresses.

How do you like chadwicks?do their sizes run tru to size?

Archived