Use of travel agent or pvp

matt12

I was hoping someone could recommend whether to book through a travel agent or go through Carnival directly. I've been on a couple of cruises in the past, but didn't make the arrangements myself. Any tips or benefits with choosing one or the other would be greatly appreciated.

It's a personal preference... you should book with someone who YOU feel has given you good service, fair pricing and will be there to answer your questions. I for one, would never just go with the lowest price (cheapest does not equal best in all cases)... research online, and also call Carnival and talk to PVP's until you feel comfortable with one. Also, visit some local TA's. It is important to feel comfortable with the person you are going to shell out a couple grand to... Some people prefer a PVP, some a TA... but it's all about a personal preference and what works best for you, IMHO. Don't book with the first person you talk to... part of researching a vacation is also researching the source in which you are booking the vacation through... which can be tedious, but you want to make sure that person is going to be there until the end, not just until they collect your money. Good luck!

We booked thru Carnival directly for 11-04 Holiday sailing out of Mobile, we booked an oceanview and our PVP upgraded us to a suite with balcony! It was great, his name is Mark and he was so helpful, called several times to make sure everything was in order. Would definitely use Mark for next cruise.

We've booked directly through Carnival both times and they've been incredibly helpful. My prefrence is to use a PVP through Carnival - it's one less middleman to deal with. I know exactly what I was told and I know if I'm getting what I want or not. Just my pref.

My suggestion would be to contact a few (2 or 3) online agencies for a price quote and then ask your preferred TA for a price quote. Most TA's will quote you the same price as a Carnival PVP would (you can also get this price from Carnival's website). You will need to ask about any promotions or discounts that are currently available. In most cases, the online agencies will beat the other price quotes, sometimes significantly. If you are an experienced cruiser and know where you want to go and what type cabin you want, take the lowest price and book.:cool:

Archived