Feeling let down

Does anyone think this is a fair way to treat a customer  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Does anyone think this is a fair way to treat a customer

• No
    • Yes
    • Would you use Viking
    • Is this good customer care

I have unfortunately been let down by Viking River Cruises. I traveled on the Viking Mikhail Lomonosov up the DnieperRiver from the Black Sea at the end of July 2009.

On the day of our return our cases were left outside our cabin as per instructions for collection by the crew and transportation to the quayside. Our cases were one of the last to be removed from the ship and during this removal I observed one of the sailors lifting my case by the pulling handle which then parted company with the rest of the case.

The sailor replaced the handle and everything looked okay. I told my wife what I had observed and she reported the incident to one of the guides who were overseeing the loading. The case was then picked up by its side handle and placed on the coach, being one of the last cases loaded. Upon reaching the airport the cases were unloaded and the handle once again came away from the body of the case. This time it was irrevocably broken and was again reported to a guide who was obviously occupied with getting everybody into the terminal and through the system.

I was advised by Viking that they were not Liable (Due to their small print) and I should claim via my Insurance, unfortunately I had to pay an excess on my Insurance of £50.

I wrote to Viking even asking if they thought it fair and asked for reimbursement due to the negligence of one of their sailors.

My reply from them was to point out the small print. Not very good customer relations, makes you wonder what other small print get outs you could incur due to no fault of your own.:(

I have unfortunately been let down by Viking River Cruises. I traveled on the Viking Mikhail Lomonosov up the DnieperRiver from the Black Sea at the end of July 2009.

On the day of our return our cases were left outside our cabin as per instructions for collection by the crew and transportation to the quayside. Our cases were one of the last to be removed from the ship and during this removal I observed one of the sailors lifting my case by the pulling handle which then parted company with the rest of the case.

The sailor replaced the handle and everything looked okay. I told my wife what I had observed and she reported the incident to one of the guides who were overseeing the loading. The case was then picked up by its side handle and placed on the coach, being one of the last cases loaded. Upon reaching the airport the cases were unloaded and the handle once again came away from the body of the case. This time it was irrevocably broken and was again reported to a guide who was obviously occupied with getting everybody into the terminal and through the system.

I was advised by Viking that they were not Liable (Due to their small print) and I should claim via my Insurance, unfortunately I had to pay an excess on my Insurance of £50.

I wrote to Viking even asking if they thought it fair and asked for reimbursement due to the negligence of one of their sailors.

My reply from them was to point out the small print. Not very good customer relations, makes you wonder what other small print get outs you could incur due to no fault of your own.:(

Overloaded suitcases tend to break. Most airlines will replace it if you show it to them upon your return.

It is amazing that any of our luguage ever arrives undamaged! Sit in an airport lounge and watch how many bags fall off the conveyor belt while loading in a plane!

I am sorry that your suitcase was damaged, here in states, we worry more about baggage handlers opening and stealing valuables! I hope you enjoyed your trip and maybe your next river cruise will be a Viking Yangtze river cruise and you can get lots of new luggage cheap!:D

It would seem that its the pulling handle that is damaged, likely by a ham fisted sailor, most travelers would realise that you do not lift a case by its pulling handle, because this is what happens. Yet another case of a company this time VIKING Cruises, not caring about its customers. Be warned. :mad:

It would seem that its the pulling handle that is damaged, likely by a ham fisted sailor, most travelers would realise that you do not lift a case by its pulling handle, because this is what happens. Yet another case of a company this time VIKING Cruises, not caring about its customers. Be warned. :mad:

I actually emailed Viking to ask if this is their usual way of treating customers. That was yesterday morning. Still had no reply.

Unless I get a satisfactory reply today the cruise I was considering will probably now be taken with Noble Caledonia.

• 3 weeks later...

Things happen, and fine print is fine print. In my seventh decade on this planet, I try to read all the fine print, and still don't always manage. Example: all trip insurance policies don't cover financial default (or bankruptcy) on the part of the tour provider, although to me that would be one of the most obvious things to be covered. Turns out our October tour with Viking IS covered by the insurance, but I had to go and read the.....fine print.

When we purchased this trip, we also got nailed by the credit card company (MasterCard) for 3% "foreign service charge" on the amount of the tour. They were completely intransigent about the matter, finally offering to refund half. When I mentioned this to our Viking rep, we were promptly refunded the entire sum of money- by them, and there's nothing in the fine print stating that they will.

So- apparently the YMMV (your mileage may vary) principle is alive and well.

• 2 years later...

Viking customer care refers to "the small print' frequently from what I am reading. We are about to embark on our second tour with them, when we found out our flights(booked through their program) had been changed and we actually left the US 8 1/2 hours later than planned. We had booked, paid for, and confirmed our flights. Then the change. We contacted everyone we could at the airlines and Viking. So we have lost our first free day in Moscow after our careful planning. Viking is MIA for their travelers. One lower level Viking customer care agent said there had come up better room and Viking could upgrade us and cost them nothing. They blew that off. Needless to say, we are very disappointed. Guess we'll be looking for a different cruise line next time. Have heard that Uniworld is outstanding.

Archived