Bonine and Alcohol Consumption

I just picked up some bonine for my upcoming cruise out of Bayonne. (I was a little worried about the waters being rougher in the Atlantic). Anyway, I noticed on the outside package that they tell you not to use alcohol after taking the pills, but I'd hate to have to give up drinking during the cruise just because of these pills. Has anyone used bonine and still had some drinks at night ? Did the alcohol have any effect on you when mixed w/ the bonine ?

Try Sea-Bands, they are wrist bands that work on accupressure and really did the trick for me. I have never been sea-sick before, but we had a really rough sea day on the Brilliance last month. I took two Bonine and they didn't do a thing. My husband was using the sea-bands and suggested I try them, they worked almost instantly.

Wore them all night and felt great, and you can drink with them since there is no medication involved. BTW the Bonine knocked me on my butt and I had to take a 2 hour nap to sleep it off.

No real side effects. BUT, you will likely get loopy on far fewer drinks when you are taking Bonine. Could be good for the seapass bill at the end of the cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

...left until Navigator of the Seas 11/13/04

I'm guessing that each person's reaction is different.

I took a generic dramamine one night while I was going to sleep. The next day I woke up slightly groggy. I had a couple of frozen rum drinks and it knocked me on my butt - big time! I felt like someone slipped me a micky. I have a high tolerance to drugs and booze, so I managed ok. But for someone who doesn't, I'd try to find those non-med bands icon_smile.gif

Navigator of the Seas 5/1/04

Donna: These ships are so big, which one are you going on? We had several nights of slightly rough seas and I was fine. One night I was a tiny bit seasick, but barely anything - and I was in bed anyway. This is so much different than a dive or snorkel boat.

When I took a cruise in 1985 on a way smaller ship I had the patch. I don't know if they've changed much since then, but I was asleep every night by 11:00 pm - even with a daily NAP at 4:00 pm LOL. I'd hate to hear of anyone missing all the fun because they were sleeping all the time.

Maybe they make non-drowsy patches now, I'd look for that - if you must. As far as mixing booze with patches, I don't remember it being that bad. I was just sleepy and yawning all the time.

Navigator of the Seas 5/1/04

Dede-

We're booked on Serenade. I'm not sure if my friend will be sick or not. I've taken 2 cruises and hardly ever felt the boat move, and when it does, I kind of like it. LOL But I'll never forget how green her face was when she was heaving over the side of the boat in Puerto Rico!

I have used Bonine and drank moderately without any problems. We have also used the bracelets. They didn't work one time and my husband felt sick for 3 days afterwards. I have used the patches also, and drank without problems. If you use these drugs and drink they will make you sleepy or sleepier. Even on the larger ships, in rough water, you can feel the ship move. It's not worth the risk of getting sea sick. You need to remember to take the medication before you feel sick. I often use some type of medication the first day. If the weather and seas are nice and I feel good I don't take anything the rest of the trip. Good luck. Carla

Bonine is the way to go....

I have been plagued with motion sickness all my life so on our first cruise last month I was worried about what to take that would work but would not give me side effects and allow me to have a few drinks.

I spoke to my doctor and had the patch with me if needed however it was advised to try it on dry land first.

I decided to try the bonine method because there is more control. On the day I left I took 1 bonine in the morning so it would be in my system before boarding the ship, on day 2 we were at our first stop so I took 1/2 of a bonine 2hrs prior to returning to the ship. That day the seas were rough but I was fine. I didn't need anything for the rest of the trip.

If you take bonine you can regulate what you need! 1-2 or 1/2

Good Luck

Renee

4/18/04 Mariner of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;04;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

11/20/04 Thanksgiving on Jewel of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I,too, agree with taking Bonine. Have never been sick on a ship (this coming from someone who gets queesy from my DH's driving!), but always start taking it before the ship ever sets sail. Drinking and taking Bonine doesn't make me sleepy, either, although I'm not a big drinker. Maybe a foo-foo drink around the pool and a glass of wine at dinner. I would suggest trying it out before the trip to see how it affects you. Then you can make adjustments accordingly.

Bonine is better than dramamine. It is non drowsey and chewable. So you can carry it with you and take it any time.

4/18/04 Mariner of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;04;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

11/20/04 Thanksgiving on Jewel of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

hoboken - There is a different medication that I will never cruise without. I'm sure I won't spell it right, but just sound it out...Meclizene. I just got off The April 16th thru 26th cruise on the Summit and the first 2 days I was sooooooooo sea sick. I was going to fly home at the first port...then a wonderful passenger told me about this medication that Guest Relations was handing out. I only took one (1) a day and I felt great. Bonine makes you sleepy and this medication doesn't. I even drank on it and I'm not a tea toadler. Ask your doctor about it. It's worth it.

Cindi

Meclizine is the generic name for Bonine. Just "google" Bonine and you'll see what pops up!

Kath

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2005;08;14;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 The big 5-0 cruise!

08/05 - Adventure of the Seas

11/02 - Amsterdam

08/01 - Norwegian Sky

11/99 - Veendam

11/93 - Monarch of the Seas

Meclazine is also the same drug in less drowsy dramamine... so they're all the same. icon_smile.gif

BigDave

Enchantment 10/2002, Rhapsody 4/2004.

Caribbean Princess, E Carib. 11/27/2004 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2004;11;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Valor, W. Carib. 2/6/2005, Radiance, E. Carib 2/13/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2005;2;6;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Thanks for the info everyone. I didn't know that they were one in the same. All I know is that it worked and I had nooooooo problem drinking on them. I will never cruise again without those wonderful pink pills.

Cindi

Archived