train Anchorage to Seward - which seats?

hodgie

I have read this train trip is very scenic. For those of you who have already taken this trip, do the standard seats allow for adequate viewing or is it better to upgrade to the domed cars? I am trying to save some money to spend on other excursions.

I have read this train trip is very scenic. For those of you who have already taken this trip, do the standard seats allow for adequate viewing or is it better to upgrade to the domed cars? I am trying to save some money to spend on other excursions.

We had a regular car last and had a great trip. The windows are large and we were able to see the scenery on both sides of the train from our seats. They did have a dome car that people could take turns in. If the car was full, you were supposed to leave after twenty minutes. Otherwise you could stay longer. We went up for awhile and it was nice, although we thought the regular seats were good too. You can also go out on the platform. If money is an issue, don't hesitate to take the regular car. That is all that was available prior to this year, unless you went on a cruise transfer. If you read back posts from previous years, you will find that people have been raving about this train ride without the special dome cars. Now that is not to say they aren't nice. I am sure they are. However, don't feel you are missing something that important. Just enjoy the ride. We loved every minute of it.

We had a regular car last and had a great trip. The windows are large and we were able to see the scenery on both sides of the train from our seats. They did have a dome car that people could take turns in. If the car was full, you were supposed to leave after twenty minutes. Otherwise you could stay longer. We went up for awhile and it was nice, although we thought the regular seats were good too. You can also go out on the platform. If money is an issue, don't hesitate to take the regular car. That is all that was available prior to this year, unless you went on a cruise transfer. If you read back posts from previous years, you will find that people have been raving about this train ride without the special dome cars. Now that is not to say they aren't nice. I am sure they are. However, don't feel you are missing something that important. Just enjoy the ride. We loved every minute of it.

One advantage to going out on the platform....our photos suffered from all being taken thru the windows, except the one my DH took on the platform, wish he's done more. This is a wonderful, beautiful train trip, sights were abundant on both sides, and people go to breakfast etc, and you can move your seats for a while

Archived