Question about sea bands

jnmrlk

I have been lucky enough not to suffer from sea sickness (fingers crossed it stays that way) however I will be sailing with my daughter and daughter in law and neither knows if they wiill.

I was going to get some sea bands for them but is it recommended to put them on before you board and leave them on or wait until you feel queasy (or by that time will it be to late for the bands to be effective?)

Been using Sea Bands or velcro equivalent since the 80's. I prefer the velcro adjustable ones. Before the ships started staying later in Alaska we always sailed in Sept so we did often see some rough seas. Only once did I need a tablet they were passing out, like Candy on Halloween, on the ship. It was the NCL Crown, now gone, the only NCL ship we were on under 700 feet, in 26 foot seas.

We put them on just before the ship leaves port. I'll take them off if the seas stay calm.

Last purchase was Biobands, their claim is you only need one.

Jeff

I have usually put on the sea bands before feeling ill or after taking Bonine. In other words, I never had a clear indication of whether or not they work.

I am fresh off the Majesty. We had just left Bermuda and the sea looked calm. I decided to take a shower and thought I would have time to do that and then put on the sea bands after. Half way through the shower I had a sudden intense wave of nausea. I yelled to DH to grab the sea band (the single velcro band) and the Bonine. I began pressing on the pressure point and got the band on when he brought it. I chewed the Bonine, but before it could possibly take effect I was fine. In all, I went from fine to nauseous to fine in about 2 minutes. I am convinced the pressure point took effect before the drugs could work. Your mileage may vary.

I dont usually get seasick....but we will be going to Bermuda next month and I want to be prepared. I looked at the bands at the store and they were about $8.00.....it looked like it had one in the package....not sure. Do you wear one.....or one for each wrist? I may also get the Bonine.

The Seabands have two in each package and you wear one on each wrist. They work for me, but I would take the ginger just in case if you have no experience with them.

I have been lucky enough not to suffer from sea sickness (fingers crossed it stays that way) however I will be sailing with my daughter and daughter in law and neither knows if they wiill.

I was going to get some sea bands for them but is it recommended to put them on before you board and leave them on or wait until you feel queasy (or by that time will it be to late for the bands to be effective?)

Also are the patches you put behind your ear a better choice?

Any help would be appreciated!

I did the Scopolamine patch on our first cruise and I will be the first to tell you NEVER AGAIN! While I will admit to having many drug interactions, I was so out of it when I had it on that I ended up pulling it off. Took me a few days to feel ok even after it coming off!

Archived