Hop-on-off in Halifax, cuise tour or on your own?

We'll be on the Dawn into Halifax in Sept. The ship has a tour "hop-on-hop-off" for $59. I tried to find how we can do this without going through the ship and paying so much, but I couldn't find it. I know there is the free bus "Fred" for sightseeing downtown.

Is going on Fred the same thing as the hop-on-off tour?

Do anyone know of this hop-on-hop-off without going through the ship?

Mary

We'll be on the Dawn into Halifax in Sept. The ship has a tour "hop-on-hop-off" for $59. I tried to find how we can do this without going through the ship and paying so much, but I couldn't find it. I know there is the free bus "Fred" for sightseeing downtown.

Mary

We just got back from Canada, and I also tried to book the HOHO on my own. I don't think you can book it directly, they only run it when cruise ships are in town and it is booked directly through the cruiseline. I did see the FRED bus, but don't know how it operates. We ended up booking the HOHO bus. It was a lot of fun, and very convenient as it goes by all of the major tourist sites and you can get off and explore at your leisure.

Mary

I would assume that the "hop-on-hop-off" is a tour. I know that the "FRED" bus is simply a bus provided by the city for tourists. It simply stops at several places around the city with no "tour" aspect.

The main part of Halifax is compact and easily done by walking if you are able to walk.

However FRED would also work:

http://www.downtownhalifax.ns.ca/default.asp?mn=1.8.36

It goes to the port and to all the main areas, including to the top of Citadel Hill. Between Fred and walking you should be just fine.

Just off the Grandeur OTS, 8/13 sailing. We signed on for the Hop On Hop Off in the terminal, after we arrived in Halifax, NOT through RCCL. Run by Gray Lines, $36 a person. Stops at the Citadel, Public Gardens, parks, cemeteries, Maritime Museum, other places, you can get off and re-board as you wish. Also a tour commentary. The Halifax Visitors booth recommended the HOHO rather than Fred for us as we were ready to go at 10 and Fred would not start until 11.

Just off the Grandeur OTS, 8/13 sailing. We signed on for the Hop On Hop Off in the terminal, after we arrived in Halifax, NOT through RCCL. Run by Gray Lines, $36 a person. Stops at the Citadel, Public Gardens, parks, cemeteries, Maritime Museum, other places, you can get off and re-board as you wish. Also a tour commentary. The Halifax Visitors booth recommended the HOHO rather than Fred for us as we were ready to go at 10 and Fred would not start until 11.

Can you ride the bus all day? Is it the same tour that the ship offers?How far is the visitors booth at the terminal from the ship ?

The main part of Halifax is compact and easily done by walking if you are able to walk.

However FRED would also work:

http://www.downtownhalifax.ns.ca/default.asp?mn=1.8.36

It goes to the port and to all the main areas, including to the top of Citadel Hill. Between Fred and walking you should be just fine.

Maryann,

We are taking the ship's tour to Lunenburg and will still have some time to walk around Halifax on our own. Are there some "must sees" that we should map out or, more importantly, some areas off the main streets that might give us a better view of what Halifax really is from a photographer's standpoint?

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg:

The best places to view Halifax would be from Citadel Hill. This is quite a climb. You can't miss this as the streets run uphill from the harbour front. You end up having to climb stairs up to the citadel (fortress). You may want to take a cab.

Another great way to view the city is to take the ferry across the harbour to Dartmouth and back. I think this costs about $2.00 each way. The ferry terminal is along the waterfront from where the cruise ships dock. The walk along the waterfront is great. If you have time (which I doubt) you can see the Titanic exhibit at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. This is on the waterfront on your way.

Another way to do all this is to take the Harbour Hopper tour if you can fit it in. This goes up Citadel Hill and into the harbour.

http://www.murphysonthewater.com/harbourhopper/

Hi folks,

We just got back from Halifax and it was our best port of the trip! We booked a private tour with Bob Davison of Bob's Blue Diamond Tours - he has a van - maximum 6. He was wonderful - very knowledgeable and wanting to make the day exactly what we wanted it to be. He first toured us around Halifax sights - they have beautiful homes, the Titanic cemetary, the Public Gardens, the Citadel, Dalhousie, the architecture is superb. Then we went to Mahone's Bay, Lunenberg, Chester, Hubbard, which are both on St. Margaret's Bay, Peggy's Cove and back to the ship. It was a full day - 9 - 5, but we saw everything we wanted to see, got lots of great phots, did some shopping in some very quaint shops and all in all had the best day of the cruise. I don't often recommend tour guides, but he was exceptional.

Hope that helps,

YaYa

Hi folks,

We just got back from Halifax and it was our best port of the trip! We booked a private tour with Bob Davison of Bob's Blue Diamond Tours - he has a van - maximum 6. He was wonderful - very knowledgeable and wanting to make the day exactly what we wanted it to be. He first toured us around Halifax sights - they have beautiful homes, the Titanic cemetary, the Public Gardens, the Citadel, Dalhousie, the architecture is superb. Then we went to Mahone's Bay, Lunenberg, Chester, Hubbard, which are both on St. Margaret's Bay, Peggy's Cove and back to the ship. It was a full day - 9 - 5, but we saw everything we wanted to see, got lots of great phots, did some shopping in some very quaint shops and all in all had the best day of the cruise. I don't often recommend tour guides, but he was exceptional.

Hope that helps,

YaYa

After reading your recommendation, I looked at their website. I don't see a tour that is the full day.... do you know which "letter" the tour was?

Thanks

Hi Greg:

The best places to view Halifax would be from Citadel Hill. This is quite a climb. You can't miss this as the streets run uphill from the harbour front. You end up having to climb stairs up to the citadel (fortress). You may want to take a cab.

Another great way to view the city is to take the ferry across the harbour to Dartmouth and back. I think this costs about $2.00 each way. The ferry terminal is along the waterfront from where the cruise ships dock. The walk along the waterfront is great. If you have time (which I doubt) you can see the Titanic exhibit at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. This is on the waterfront on your way.

Another way to do all this is to take the Harbour Hopper tour if you can fit it in. This goes up Citadel Hill and into the harbour.

http://www.murphysonthewater.com/harbourhopper/

Thanks Maryann. This will give us a good idea what to plan for in the brief spare time we have left after our tour to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay.

The booth to buy tickets for HOHO trolley was in the cruise terminal. The HOHO bus is right outside the cruise terminal.

At our sailing, two ships were in town, and the trolley left outside the other terminal (22, I think, we were at 21). Maybe half a city block.

I don't know if it runs all day, but it ran up until the ship left<G>

One caveat that probably won't apply to September/October cruisers: no AC. And not a lot of open window space. And it WAS in the 90s (probably for the first and last time all summer)when we were there.

Happy Cruising,

el henry

MerlotChampagne,

It was Tour H except that we wanted to see Peggy's Cove so he included it for us. Although he has the set tours he is quite willing to customize as you wish. Very flexible and accommodating.:)

Cheers,

YaYa

Thanks YaYa, sounds like just what we are looking for. I'm emailing him now!

MerlotChampagne,

It was Tour H except that we wanted to see Peggy's Cove so he included it for us. Although he has the set tours he is quite willing to customize as you wish. Very flexible and accommodating.:)

Cheers,

YaYa

Are you Greek? If so, congratulations Grandmother!

No, I'm not Greek, but I am a Grandmother:). Actually, the YaYa comes from the YaYa Sisterhood - it's a name we have for a group of women who have been friends since we were young teenagers and we like to travel together. I didn't realize YaYa was Greek for Grandmother - but in a way it still fits!

Thanks,

YaYa

So, the answer to my question seem to be that we can book the Hop-on-Hop-off at the ship terminal when we dock. If that is the case, then I'm going to cancel the ship Hop-on Hop-off I just booked at $59. and just buy the tickets when we arrive. A lot cheaper!

Thanks,

Mary

So, the answer to my question seem to be that we can book the Hop-on-Hop-off at the ship terminal when we dock. If that is the case, then I'm going to cancel the ship Hop-on Hop-off I just booked at $59. and just buy the tickets when we arrive. A lot cheaper!

Thanks,

Mary

That was my experience, even though I wasn't planning it that way. Having seen it, I couldn't imagine a day when a ship was in port when they wouldn't be operating, and the booth was not hard to find. And although the $36 may have been Canadian (we charged it), I can't imagine the exchange rate is that bad<G>

I just went on Gray Line's web site for Hop on Hop Off tour of Halifax.

http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/destinations/canada/halifax.go?mode=activities&cd=CT&cat=City%20Tours&index=1&

The price is $54.50 with 10% off for AAA members. It leaves from the pier. You can book tickets on their website......But, there was a post that someone thought the price was $36.

Does anyone know what they actually charge if you just get the tickets at the pier?

I have it booked through NCL for $59. I wondering if I should cancel that.

Mary

Mary D.:

On Aug 18 Gray Line actually charged us $36 a person. What they are saying on the website or in response to e-mails, who knows? Maybe it was an August special. I would be curious to see what anyone else has experienced myself!

el henry

Archived