Hop-on-off in Halifax, cuise tour or on your own?

I am so glad I saw this thread again - I was going to use Gray's HOHO as by the time I get to Halifax on 26 October FRED will have finished.

I just checked on the Gray's website to find that their HOHO is not running on 26 October either! Had it been it would have cost $54.50 according to their price list.

Oh dear, now what do I do? I was rather depending on Gray's! Shank's Pony again!!

• 8 months later...

No public transportation goes to Peggy's Cove. HoHo and Fred only do downtown Halifax. Peggy's is about a 45 min drive away.You must take a tour with the ship, or a taxi or a van tour.Gray Line makes arrangements with the ship and sets the price so it is not uncommon for people to pay different prices depending on which ship you're on.

Much depends on the date of your arrival.

Fred is usually busy as it is free, especially if there are multiple ships in.

You can get around on foot.You'll do some walking, possibly up hill.

Gray Line has been known to run the HoHo after its normal season is over just for the cruises.

The visitor information centre is just behind the Maritime Museum on the boardwalk.Open every day, a 15 minute walk from the ship if you don't drag your feet. Quicker but not as pretty to go via Lower Water Street. www.halifax.ca has maps.

vic-water@gov.ns.ca is the e mail if you would like the Visitor Centre to send a Halifax guide book. 902-424-4248 if you want to talk to them.

This is the reply that I received from the vic-water email address today.

"Most often, on board, your cruise ship will offer the option to purchase a hop-on-hop-off bus ticket for the day. Should you choose not to purchase this option through the cruise ship, once your land, Ambassatours Grayline will sell tickets to the same hop-on-hop-off trips if there is still availability after the cruise passengers have pre-purchased their tickets on board. The ticket price is the same whether purchased on land or on the ship. If you purchase onboard the ship, the bus will pick you up from the ship. If you plan to purchase your ticket on land, your pick-up point will be a 15 minute walk from the ship and it is subject to availability. Ambassatours Grayline (1-800-565-7173) also offers a variety of city tours in addition to the hop-on-hop-off which are scheduled to run during your stay in the city on September 14."

Archived