FLL hotel for Feb 26th - why so high?

applegam

So, we'll be flying in the Friday before the Carnival Freedom departs on Feb 27th. I've been checking the hotel rates for that Friday night and they seem really high. It sounds like a very popular one is the La Quinta in Hollywood. Looks to me like this is typically $95.00 or so. Well, for Feb 26th it's $145. The Superbowl will be long gone. Is there something else going on that weekend that we need to know of?

The Hyatt PLace hotel, downtown, near the port, is available on Hotwire for $90 that night. It includes shuttle from airport to hotel, and from hotel to the port; also continental breakfast.

Come join on rollcall...we are also going on the Freedom on Feb. 27th.

Jane

The Hyatt PLace hotel, downtown, near the port, is available on Hotwire for $90 that night. It includes shuttle from airport to hotel, and from hotel to the port; also continental breakfast.

Come join on rollcall...we are also going on the Freedom on Feb. 27th.

Jane

Thanks for the info. I've never done Hotwire before. I took a look at it. Kind of looks like Priceline, but you know your price ahead of time which is nice. Did you book the 3-star hotel in Las Olas - Downtown - Port Everglades option?

if you goto www.Sunny.org

...you will find 5 big events durning that time.

Florida Renaissance Festival

Big Cypress Shootout

30th Annual Sistrunk Parade & Festival

73d Annual Rodeo

Annual Butterfly festival

I believe there were 14 events in all.....

Ahh. Thanks for the info.

We go to Ft. Lauderdale four times a year to see our children who live there. February 26th is the height of the Season for Florida -- no hurricanes and everyone leaves freezing weather to go there. I'm going next weekend and spending $73 a night at the Courtyard which will be $173 in February.

Sheila

Thanks for the info. I've never done Hotwire before. I took a look at it. Kind of looks like Priceline, but you know your price ahead of time which is nice. Did you book the 3-star hotel in Las Olas - Downtown - Port Everglades option?

Yes, that's the one.... :)

if you goto www.Sunny.org

...you will find 5 big events durning that time.

Florida Renaissance Festival

Big Cypress Shootout

30th Annual Sistrunk Parade & Festival

73d Annual Rodeo

Annual Butterfly festival

I believe there were 14 events in all.....

I doubt these events would push up hotel rates in Hollywood.

I have two room booked at the Hollywood La Quinta on 2/26. We are on the Carnival Liberty the next day. When I booked these way back in April, I got them at $85 and $95. About two weeks later, they went WAY UP. I'm glad I booked them when I did! Everything looks sky high in the area during that time.

Thank you for the Hotwire info. Just booked Hyatt Place for 89 for 2/28. ;)

I also booked Hyatt Place for 89 on 1/30. Was getting crazy rates on my own or no availability-Superbowl week? Had never tried Hotwire before reading this thread. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...
When you bnook on Hotwire (I need 6 rooms) how can you be sure you get a hotel with complimentary airport shuttle?

I don't think you can, Hotwire doesn't give out that much information about their hotels. I'd say find ones that are relatively closer to the airport to be on the safe side; those usually offer the shuttles.

When you bnook on Hotwire (I need 6 rooms) how can you be sure you get a hotel with complimentary airport shuttle?

And that's never a reason to book a hotel anyway, most are either so unreliable or overcrowded people end up taking a taxi anyway.

Archived