nausea/sea sickness onboard while pregnant?

Punchie

I will be sailing in Oct and will be about 13 wks along at the time of sailing. For anyone who has sailed at about this time during pregnancy, did you get more nauseaus or have sea sickness (outside the normal realm of morning sickness)? Did you bring anything special to help? Or will the foods/drink/items that are used to combat morning sickness work? I've never gotten motion/sea sickness while not pregnant, but I know that last time, I was more sensitive to motion.

Our very first cruise I was 12 weeks pregnant. I actually got sicker on the ride home than on the ship. However, being on the ship wasn't any better than being on land. I think thats the only cruise I didn't gain any weight on LOL I found the seasickness wrist bands seemed to help. I also remember bringing ginger cookies which seemed to help too. Good luck, I hope you have a great cruise!

I cruised while pregnant (8 weeks) and had no additional problems, BUT later in my pregnancy I went on a vacation that involved a lot of winding roads. Despite never having been motion-sick in my life, I got really nauseous. What really, really helped was ginger, in the form of real ginger ale and candied ginger.

I cruised at 16 weeks and 22 weeks and didnt experience any more morning sickness than normal. Last year at 22 weeks we hit a hurricaine so the boat was pretty rocky, I brought along Zofran that was prescribed by my ob for morning sickness and that did the trick. I was fine.

I sailed at 20 weeks and the only time I felt nauseous was - of all things - walking down the stairs. I am big on fresh air and stepped outside a lot (we had an exterior door only a few feet from our cabin.) One warning - I really overdid the walking in several ports. I was walking 2 miles a day at home so I didn't think it was a big deal. I felt pretty faint waiting for a tender one day and what I thought was the baby's first kicks turned out to be contractions on another day. Luckily I didn't know that until I got home...

So take it easy in ports and be sure to stay hydrated. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived